Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Are Americans especially thick?

Are Americans especially thick?

Old May 7th 2002, 7:51 am
Thomas Townsend

Default Re: Are Americans especially thick?

Personally, as one of the "batteries question" posers, I wanted to know before I
stuck a foreign battery into my $500 digital camera. If European batteries =were=
different, I'd bring a boatload of American ones.

The question about water probably has its roots in the fact that we in the United
States of America share a 2000+ mile border with the United States of Mexico, where
the water is questionable =everywhere= (even in the posh built-for-tourist resorts
areas). It may be naive and indeed uneducated to ask the same about Europe, but if
you're going to shell out thousands of dollars for a trip, you don't want spend your
time in the toilet (water closet for the American-slang impaired).

The other questions of European modernity probably spring from education. I was never
in a history class in school that even made it to the 20th century. All we knew was
what our WWII soldiers coming home from Europe told us: no electricity,
horse-and-wagons, peasants, etc. Now, we "educated" Americans realize that Europe is
modern, since we Americans rebuilt it after WWII (somewhat troll-like statement, but
I'll put a happy wink to show that I'm just teasing)

There's also not much interest in Europe by the general American populace in most of
the United States because the chance of it impacting everyday life is quite minimal
when you're living 1000+ miles from the nearest "foreign country". And that foreign
country might be Canada, which isn't too foreign at all!

As for you, Vince, although I take umbrage with your statements, if you're the same
trucker in Russia that has the website with the pictures of trucking through Russia,
I loved it!

Cordially, Tom Townsend

On Mon, 6 May 2002 21:44:02 +0100, "vince" <don`[email protected]`t.read.it> wrote:
    > I have been astonished by some of the threads on r.t.e lately.
    >
    > Is there drinking water in Europe? Can you buy batteries in Europe? Can you buy
    > petrol in Europe? Is it safe to go to Europe if you are Jewish?
    >
    > Here`s my question. Should educational standards in American schools, particularly
    > in relation to the world which exists outside the U.S. border, be raised to the
    > standard which exists in the rest of the world?
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Vince Truck Driving In Russia- www.coventon.co.uk

The Oik

"Jenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected] >,
    > [email protected] (Jonathan Morton) wrote:
    >
    > > David Greenhalgh <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > > > Battery powered equipment is fundamentally different from mains powered. I
    > > > would expect to get AA or AAA batteries for my radio or camera anywhere in the
    > > > world since the same products can be bought anywhere. But the question is still
    > > > valid. It's easy to forget how naive you can be when young.
    > >
    > > Yes, and sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious. The mains voltages are
    > > different for historical reasons and lots of expensive infrastructure means
    > > standards get set for regions which then remain. With batteries there's no reason
    > > not to have world standards, but one could be tempted to overlook this. When the
    > > answer is pointed out, it's one of those "d'oh" moments.
    >
    > but the same argument applies to VCR tapes which ought to be the same on both sides
    > of the pond but aren't. No more reason to expect sensible battery standards than
    > sensible VCR standars -- in fact since VCR technology is relatively new, there is
    > less reason to expect non standardization. Every year tourists buy tapes they can't
    > watch -- from both sides of the pond.

The tapes are the same - its the record / display standard that is difference. As a
matter of interest (and referring to an earlier post), my TV is multi standard (all
Europe), my VCR is multi stanard (and plays US tapes on my Euro TV), my DVD is multi
region (I admit I had to switch it to that), my printers all take A4, letter AND
foolscap and just about everything I've looked at today is multi voltage. Anyone for
betamax (hmm, thats not even in the spell checker!)??

Barbara Vaughan

Miguel Cruz wrote:
    >
    > Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Off the cuff, I cant think of a single successful extradition attempt.
    > >
    > > But how many did they attempt to extradite for funding terrorism ?
    >
    > It's pretty much impossible to get a country to extradite one its nationals for
    > something that's not illegal in that country. If the US government doesn't classify
    > the groups receiving the money as terrorist, there's no starting point for the UK.

However that doesn't explain the US refusal to extradite people convicted in British
courts of other crimes.

Barbara

Barbara Vaughan

Debra Weber Kurt Weber wrote:
    >
    > >
    >
    > I should know better than to enter this but I guess I'm just thick, due, I'm sure,
    > to my terribly inadequate education. In answer to the following:

> Not in the least. I will be happy to explain, although it seems obvious to me:
    > arresting those involved with raising money for terrorism is applied selectively on
    > the grounds of who will attack the US, causing great damage and loss of life. When
    > the IRA attacks the US, in a way similar to the attacks on the World Trade Center,
    > I will personally eat my hat if the US government does not quickly arrest those
    > raising funds for the IRA.

Then why does the US expect other countries to extradite people who are wanted for
the harm they have presumably done to the US, when they haven't done anything to harm
those other countries?

You've just really affirmed all of the worlds suspicions about US policy.

Barbara

Ash & Jaff

"The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

> Lots of people visit the jewish quater - the easy way to tell the
Americans
    > (jewish or otherwise) is that they are the ones lined up in the Police station,
    > whinging about having been pickpocketed / ripped off, and usually making racist
    > claims that it was Roma who did it.
    >
    >

Actually, it's the Czech people who are racist against the Roma, not the Americans,
who probably wouldn't even know who you were talking about if you mentioned the word
"Roma" to them.

(Oh, wait, were you making a joke? It's so hard to tell when there's no humour
involved...

Regards,

Ash

licrimlawyer

On Tue, 7 May 2002 16:40:21 +0100, "The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >"Go Fig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Exactly how many individuals has the UK requested to be prosecuted or extradited ?
    >>
    >
    >The UK gave up when after a US court freed a CONVICTED killer and escapee on the
    >grounds that he was a 'political prisoner'. Off the cuff, I cant think of a single
    >successful extradition attempt. Of course, when the US meets this problem, it just
    >kidnaps people, on the assumption that US law applies everywhere. This despite its
    >refusal to sign up to the ICC. Still, that's fits, doesn't it - after al, this is a
    >country that didn't bother joining WWII until it could be sure it could choose the
    >winning side.
    >
    >
Have you derived your knowledge of history from the comic books?

You seem to be suggesting that the US sat back and chose between the Nazis and the
Brits. Then, we invited the Japanese to bomb Pearl Harbor to make it look good. Even
better, we got Hitler to declare war on us.

Of course, the cleverness of Franklin Roosevelt knew no bounds. At the time of
America's entry into the war, the "winning side" was far from obvious--at least to
most people. But, old Frank was prescient enough to know that the allies would win.

Then again, there are some folks who think that one of the main reasons the allies
won the war is the fact that America came in on their side. Come to think of it,
there was a British leader who exerted some herculean efforts to get us into the war.
He met with Roosevelt several times, he was in almost constant contact with him, and
he even got Roosevelt to send American ships into the Atlantic to aid in convoy
protection.

Perhaps this British leader was a bit biased in favor of Americans. After all, his
mother was Jenny Jerome, from the Bronx.

The Oik

<[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 May 2002 16:40:21 +0100, "The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"Go Fig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> Exactly how many individuals has the UK requested to be prosecuted or
    > >> extradited ?
    > >>
    > >
    > >The UK gave up when after a US court freed a CONVICTED killer and escapee
on
    > >the grounds that he was a 'political prisoner'. Off the cuff, I cant
think
    > >of a single successful extradition attempt. Of course, when the US meets this
    > >problem, it just kidnaps people, on the assumption that US law
applies
    > >everywhere. This despite its refusal to sign up to the ICC. Still, that's fits,
    > >doesn't it - after al, this is a country that didn't bother joining WWII until it
    > >could be sure it could choose the winning side.
    > >
    > >
    > Have you derived your knowledge of history from the comic books?
    >
    > You seem to be suggesting that the US sat back and chose between the Nazis and the
    > Brits. Then, we invited the Japanese to bomb Pearl Harbor to make it look good.
    > Even better, we got Hitler to declare war on us.
    >
    > Of course, the cleverness of Franklin Roosevelt knew no bounds. At the time of
    > America's entry into the war, the "winning side" was far from obvious--at least to
    > most people. But, old Frank was prescient enough to know that the allies would win.
    >
    > Then again, there are some folks who think that one of the main reasons the allies
    > won the war is the fact that America came in on their side. Come to think of it,
    > there was a British leader who exerted some herculean efforts to get us into the
    > war. He met with Roosevelt several times, he was in almost constant contact with
    > him, and he even got Roosevelt to send American ships into the Atlantic to aid in
    > convoy protection.
    >
    > Perhaps this British leader was a bit biased in favor of Americans. After all, his
    > mother was Jenny Jerome, from the Bronx.

I am well aware that he was a half American, and allegedly party to the trick with
Franklin about Pearl Harbour to get the rest of the US onside... Opps, this belong in
a.conspir.paranoid-lunatic etc etc. Fact is, a lot of the Us wanted to stay out, and
a smaller number wanted in on the other side. If you've never heard anyone say
'waited to see who was going to win' then you cant have much time in a British pub
(actually, no great loss). Anyway, that was a long long time ago. Any comments on the
ICC, and the way forward?

Old May 7th 2002, 8:21 am
licrimlawyer

Default Re: Driving on the right (was Re: Are Americans especially thick?)

On 7 May 2002 17:43:01 +0100, Chris Brown <[email protected]_uce_please.com> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Ash & Jaff <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>"David Greenhalgh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> That the U.K. (and Japan) drives on the left hand side has a sensible heritage;
    >>> men on horseback carried their swords at their right side. I believe that it was
    >>> a whim of Napoleon's that France and others moved to the right. I hope someone
    >>> can elaborate on this.
    >>>
    >>
    >>I am told it has something to do with the fact that cars were invented with
    >>standard (stick shift) transmissions. Since most people are right handed, it was
    >>natural for them to shift with their right hands, and thus to sit on the left side
    >>of the car. (And, in doing so, to drive on the right side of the road.)
    >>
    >>This could just be apocryphal, however...
    >
    >Speaking as a right handed person, I'd really rather keep my right hand on the wheel
    >when I change gear.
    >
    >--
    >/* _ */main(int k,char**n){char*i=k&1?"+L*;99,RU[,RUo+BeKAA+BECACJ+CAACA" /* / `
    >*/"CD+LBCACJ*":1[n],j,l=!k,m;do for(m=*i-48,j=l?m/k:m%k;m>>7?k=1<<m+ /* |
    >*/8,!l&&puts(&l)**&l:j--;printf(" \0_/"+l));while((l^=3)||l[++i]); /* \_,hris Brown
    >-- All opinions expressed are probably wrong. */return 0;}

I'm right handed and I found it a little disconcerting to be shifting with my left
hand. Perhaps this has something to do with a phenomenon called "muscle memory." If
so, my muscle memory is decidely long term.

For the first 13 or 14 years after getting a driver's license, I used manual
transmission cars--at least most of the time. Then for a period of over twenty years,
I used automatic transmission vehicles, almost exclusively. Then, last November, I
took a trip to Ireland. After about five minutes on the road, I was hitting the door
with my right hand trying to shift. AFTER TWENTY YEARS NOT DRIVING A MANUAL
TRANSMISSION!

Albert Camus said that one can get used to almost anything. Between a left hand drive
and a right hand drive, it all depends on what one is used to.

Old May 7th 2002, 8:21 am
The Oik

Default Re: Driving on the right (was Re: Are Americans especially thick?)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On 7 May 2002 17:43:01 +0100, Chris Brown
    > <[email protected]_uce_please.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > For the first 13 or 14 years after getting a driver's license, I used manual
    > transmission cars--at least most of the time. Then for a period of over twenty
    > years, I used automatic transmission vehicles, almost exclusively. Then, last
    > November, I took a trip to Ireland. After about five minutes on the road, I was
    > hitting the door with my right hand trying to shift. AFTER TWENTY YEARS NOT DRIVING
    > A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!
    >
    > Albert Camus said that one can get used to almost anything. Between a left hand
    > drive and a right hand drive, it all depends on what one is used to.

I'd guess it had electric windows? First time I swapped sides I spent half my time
winding the window up and down - strange thing was, after grabbing the winder, I KEPT
ON turning the thing!

Old May 7th 2002, 8:51 am
The Oik

"mpprh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Go FIG said BTW: whichever side the US selected, and at any time, would have been
    > the winning side and thats still true today.
    >
    > Hmmm
    >
    > Do you really mean that ?
    >
    > Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan (the enemy are still in place ?) or were you
    > thinking of Grenada ?
    >
    > Peter
    >
    >
nice one....

Miguel Cruz

Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >> Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>> Off the cuff, I cant think of a single successful extradition attempt.
    >>>
    >>> But how many did they attempt to extradite for funding terrorism ?
    >>
    >> It's pretty much impossible to get a country to extradite one its nationals for
    >> something that's not illegal in that country. If the US government doesn't
    >> classify the groups receiving the money as terrorist, there's no starting point
    >> for the UK.
    >
    > Their starting point is to make the case to the U.S. government... or is that the
    > burden of the U.S. ?

If the US and Kenya have an extradition treaty, and it is illegal in Kenya to make
disparaging comments about Daniel Arap Moi, and some American guy in Boston puts a
sign in his window saying "Daniel Arap Moi is a jerk", then Kenya would be wasting
their time trying to get this guy extradited.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Go Fig

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Miguel
Cruz) wrote:

> Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Off the cuff, I cant think of a single successful extradition attempt.
    > >
    > > But how many did they attempt to extradite for funding terrorism ?
    >
    > It's pretty much impossible to get a country to extradite one its nationals for
    > something that's not illegal in that country. If the US government doesn't classify
    > the groups receiving the money as terrorist, there's no starting point for the UK.
    >
    > miguel

Their starting point is to make the case to the U.S. government... or is that the
burden of the U.S. ?

jay Tue, May 7, 2002 mailto:[email protected]

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject... Galileo muttered under his breath:
"Nevertheless, it does move."

Ash & Jaff

"The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "Go Fig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
Still, that's
    > fits, doesn't it - after al, this is a country that didn't bother joining WWII
    > until it could be sure it could choose the winning side.
    >
    >

Actually, at the time that the U.S. joined the war, Europe was getting its
ass kicked.

But, by all means, don't let that stand in the way of your ingratitude...

Regards,

Ash

Old May 7th 2002, 9:20 am
David Lewis

In article <[email protected]>, R J Carpenter <[email protected]> writes
    >David Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >> True story from Charlotte Church ( a young singer who is very well known in
    >> the UK.)
    >>
    >> She was introduced to a certain G.W.Bush who, on hearing she came from Wales,
    >> asked "What state is that in?"
    >>
    >> No further comment required.
    >
    >1) I don't think of W as any sort of well-versed genius, but being an expert in
    > foreign pop stars isn't in my list of qualifications for his job.
    >
    >2) She could have been from:
    >
    >Wales, Alaska Wales, North Dakota Wales, Utah Wales, Wisconsin or perhaps Lake
    >Wales, Florida North Wales, Pennsylvania
    >
    >There isn't just __one__ Wales, though Brits may not know of any others .
Come on. he cannot be so dense.

Can he?

Anyway, it really amused Charlotte.

And she isn't a pop star and she was singing for him at the White House, at
his request.

M
--
[email protected]

Old May 7th 2002, 9:20 am
David Lewis

In article <[email protected]>,
a.spencer3 <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >Icono Clast <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> He refused to grasp the concept of the distance from Copenhagen to San Francisco
    >> being more than twice that to Cairo.
    >>
    >>
    >It's when a guest had to prove to me that her state of Washington was bigger than
    >England that I had to admit to being thick!
    >
    >Surreyman
    >
    >
One thing that always amazes my American friends is that the Shara desert is bigger
than the whole USA - and it's growing.

M

--
David Lewis [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.