Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Are Americans especially thick?

Are Americans especially thick?

Old May 6th 2002, 11:51 pm
Go Fig

Default Re: Are Americans especially thick?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> >> >
    > >> That reminds me. Can someone just explain this to me. Recently on the news it
    > >> was reported that an Arab American was arrested for being involved in some
    > >> organization that was collecting money to fund Al-Qaida(sp?) terrorism. Seems
    > >> reasonable to arrest him, but when will the US authorities be arresting all the
    > >> Americans involved in collecting money to fund IRA terrorism?
    > >
    > >
    > >Maybe the Dutch should protect them....but 'that reminds me' 8500 people died the
    > >last time the Dutch 'protected' someone.
    > >
    > >jay Tue, May 7, 2002 mailto:[email protected]
    > >
    > >
    > > Surely their very worthy
    > >> policy of arresting the supporters and financers of terrorism isn't applied
    > >> selectively on racial grounds is it? --==++AJC++==--
    > >
    > >--
    >
    > Ah, I see you have no comment on the issue of US moral and financial support for
    > International terrorism. That is not really surprising though, you never can deal
    > with issues outside your limited political agenda. So, once again, when will the US
    > authorities start calling to account the US citizens that have encouraged and
    > financed the killing of innocent people in European cities? --==++AJC++==--

Exactly how many individuals has the UK requested to be prosecuted or extradited ?

jay Tue, May 7, 2002 mailto:[email protected]

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject... Galileo muttered under his breath:
"Nevertheless, it does move."

Old May 7th 2002, 12:20 am
Donna Evleth

Default Are Americans especially thick?

Dans l'article <[email protected]>, "James Meek"
<[email protected]> a écrit :

> Apart from a few incidents regarding the bombing of innocent people (Jews in
    > France, for Example), Europe is safe.

This one needs qualifying. No Jewish people have been bombed. Only buildings
(synagogues). The French are not bombing these buildings. Everyone agrees, including
the local Jews, that it is the doing of the Arab immigrants. Nor have any of these
bombings taken place in areas where tourists go. They are occurring out in the poorer
suburbs, and are directed by North African Arabs against Jews from North Africa. The
Eastern European Jewish neighborhoods have not to my knowledge had a problem.

I am an American/French dual national living in Paris, and I have been asked about
this a lot.

Donna Evleth

Old May 7th 2002, 12:50 am
ajc

On Tue, 07 May 2002 13:36:19 +0000, "Donna Evleth" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >Dans l'article <[email protected]>, "James Meek"
    ><[email protected]> a écrit :
    >
    >
    >> Apart from a few incidents regarding the bombing of innocent people (Jews in
    >> France, for Example), Europe is safe.
    >
    >This one needs qualifying. No Jewish people have been bombed. Only buildings
    >(synagogues). The French are not bombing these buildings. Everyone agrees,
    >including the local Jews, that it is the doing of the Arab immigrants. Nor have
    >any of these bombings taken place in areas where tourists go. They are occurring
    >out in the poorer suburbs, and are directed by North African Arabs against Jews
    >from North Africa. The Eastern European Jewish neighborhoods have not to my
    >knowledge had a problem.
    >
    >I am an American/French dual national living in Paris, and I have been asked about
    >this a lot.
    >
    >Donna Evleth

And thank you for putting the facts so clearly. There is so much nonsense floating
around about the 'extreme right', and about Europeans being anti-semetic, when the
truth is that the problems are overwhelmingly that Jews, Homosexuals, and other
population groups are being verbally and physically abused by Moslems and in the name
of Islam. --==++AJC++==--

Old May 7th 2002, 1:50 am
A.Spencer3

David Greenhalgh <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > When I was travelling by train in the U.S. I was asked by an American if I had come
    > from England by train. Another believed that New Mexico was part of Mexico. But it
    > was an English woman who asked me if my mother had had any children. These make
    > interesting (true) anecdotes but not generalisations.
    >
    >
Obviously it's silly to generalise. But I did like the USA-ite who remarked to me,
outside Canterbury Cathedral:

"Gee, this must be old. Really, really old. At least 200 years old?"

Surreyman

Old May 7th 2002, 1:50 am
Tim Challenger

>...when the truth is that the problems are overwhelmingly that Jews, Homosexuals,
    >and other population groups are being verbally and physically abused by Moslems and
    >in the name of Islam.

Shouldn't that have read "....and physically abused and the events exaggerated out of
all proportion" ? Moslems aren't guilty of everything however much you seem to want
them to be.

Tim.

Old May 7th 2002, 3:23 am
David Eerdmans

Jenn <[email protected]> schreef in artikel
<[email protected]>...
    >
    > And drinking water is always a concern for any sensible traveler. There was a time
    > when European drinking water was not generally safe [long ago to be sure] -- still
    > wouldn't want to drink it in Leningrad, would you?

Just nitpicking, but I believe Leningrad was re-named a couple of years ago.

Regards, David

Old May 7th 2002, 3:23 am
Grey

On Tue, 07 May 2002 00:42:32 GMT, Padraig Breathnach <[email protected]> wrote:

>grey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>... If you don't want to help people out, maybe this isn't the group for you...
    >
    >I don't recall that being a requirement for membership here. Imagine
    >it: a whole newsgroup full of people waiting to offer help, and nobody here who
    > would like to be helped.

I don't recall saying it was a requirement for membership.

A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real world
www.alreadyyours.com (sample chapter, etc...)

Old May 7th 2002, 3:51 am
Ash & Jaff

"Anders Svensson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>
    > When SAAB exported their cars to us some 10-15 years ago the safety belts had to be
    > made EXTRA long on the export models to us as the americans (us only, not the rest
    > of america) where in fact too fat to fit.
    >
    >
    > As I tested the belts myself I was surprised to see how much extra belt length
    > there was. Two normal persons could easily have fitted.
    >
    >

...and finally the answer to whether Americans are especially "thick"...!

Regards,

Ash

Old May 7th 2002, 4:21 am
David Gascon

Judith wrote:
    >
(snip)
    > On the other hand, I see/hear Europeans spouting ridiculous things about America,
    > too. And of other countries I hear even more ridiculous things. Many Europeans
    > don't know or understand the differences from their culture to other cultures. They
    > also cannot point to where New Zealand is on the globe. It isn't an American thing,
    > it is an education/experience thing.

(donning flame-proof suit)

New Zealand? Isn't that part of Australia? {

(ducking for cover!)

Devil

David Eerdmans wrote:
    >
    > Jenn <[email protected]> schreef in artikel
    > <[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > And drinking water is always a concern for any sensible traveler. There was a
    > > time when European drinking water was not generally safe [long ago to be sure] --
    > > still wouldn't want to drink it in Leningrad, would you?
    >
    > Just nitpicking, but I believe Leningrad was re-named a couple of years ago.

You think that had an effect on their water?

(Trust me, if I were you I will still stay away from it. Not even for
toothbrushing...)

David Gascon

Rhys wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > I mean, you Europeans still can't sort out whether to let Jews live in France
    > > without getting their synogogues bombed. (Oh, wait -- wasn't that another thick
    > > question...?)
    >
    > Or the Americans letting people in Northern Ireland live in a peaceful democracy
    > without the fear of being bombed or shot at, mostly funded by Americans.

You know, I keep reading this allegation here, but have no idea how many US dollars
actually are going to the IRA. Can someone enlighten? Are there statistics?

David Gascon

[email protected] wrote:
    >
    > That reminds me. Can someone just explain this to me. Recently on the news it was
    > reported that an Arab American was arrested for being involved in some organization
    > that was collecting money to fund Al-Qaida(sp?) terrorism. Seems reasonable to
    > arrest him, but when will the US authorities be arresting all the Americans
    > involved in collecting money to fund IRA terrorism?

When Irish-American voters & politicians have a less romanticized notion of
the Struggle?

Debra Weber Kur

I should know better than to enter this but I guess I'm just thick, due, I'm sure, to
my terribly inadequate education. In answer to the following:

> That reminds me. Can someone just explain this to me. Recently on the news it was
    > reported that an Arab American was arrested for being involved in some organization
    > that was collecting money to fund Al-Qaida(sp?) terrorism. Seems reasonable to
    > arrest him, but when will the US authorities be arresting all the Americans
    > involved in collecting money to fund IRA terrorism? Surely their very worthy policy
    > of arresting the supporters and financers of terrorism isn't applied selectively on
    > racial grounds is it?

Not in the least. I will be happy to explain, although it seems obvious to me:
arresting those involved with raising money for terrorism is applied selectively on
the grounds of who will attack the US, causing great damage and loss of life. When
the IRA attacks the US, in a way similar to the attacks on the World Trade Center, I
will personally eat my hat if the US government does not quickly arrest those raising
funds for the IRA.

The Oik

"Ash & Jaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "a.spencer3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Paul Tauger <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > >
    > > But who's to know that the average USA Jewish tourist in, say, Prague is
    > in
    > > fact Jewish anyway?
    > >
    > > Surreyman
    > >
    >
    > As someone who lives in the middle of the Jewish Quarter in Prague, I can tell you:
    > It's pretty damn easy to tell who the Jewish Americans are, considering that
    > they're walking around in big tour groups visiting all of the Jewish sites here.
    >
    > In fact, many synogogues in the U.S. organize trips to places like the Jewish
    > Quarter in Prague. I chat with some of the tourists on occasion
when
    > I'm out and about, and many of them have cancelled visits to places like Israel and
    > France in favor of places like Prague, specifically because of the rise of violence
    > and anti-Semitism in those areas.
    >
Lots of people visit the jewish quater - the easy way to tell the Americans (jewish
or otherwise) is that they are the ones lined up in the Police station, whinging
about having been pickpocketed / ripped off, and usually making racist claims that it
was Roma who did it.

The Oik

"Debra Weber Kurt Weber" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    >
    > I should know better than to enter this but I guess I'm just thick, due,
I'm
    > sure, to my terribly inadequate education. In answer to the following:
    >
    > > That reminds me. Can someone just explain this to me. Recently on the news it was
    > > reported that an Arab American was arrested for being involved in some
    > > organization that was collecting money to fund Al-Qaida(sp?) terrorism. Seems
    > > reasonable to arrest him, but when will the US authorities be arresting all the
    > > Americans involved in collecting money to fund IRA terrorism? Surely their very
    > > worthy policy of arresting the supporters and financers of terrorism isn't
    > > applied selectively on racial grounds is it?
    >
    > Not in the least. I will be happy to explain, although it seems obvious to
me:
    > arresting those involved with raising money for terrorism is applied
selectively
    > on the grounds of who will attack the US, causing great damage and loss of
life.
    > When the IRA attacks the US, in a way similar to the attacks on the World
Trade
    > Center, I will personally eat my hat if the US government does not quickly arrest
    > those raising funds for the IRA.
    >

That, as you well, know is garbage - if it was true, the IRA alliance with FARC would
have caused action. Seems its OK for FARC to bomb and kill if its been trained with
Irish/American funds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.