Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

advice for 1st day in Italy (getting to Rome?)

advice for 1st day in Italy (getting to Rome?)

Old Apr 8th 2002, 2:52 pm
Marcus Holmes

Default advice for 1st day in Italy (getting to Rome?)

Hi All,

Need some opinions. I've been working a little bit with a travel agent we've used a
lot over the years to plan our ~16 day vacation in Italy this coming June. Our
flights have us going in and out of Milan. What the travel agent suggested was the
first day we get there should be our "travel day" where we take a bus from Milan
airport to the train station and hop on the Eurostar to Rome. We get into Milan
around 7:50am and she says a good train to make a reservation for would be the 12pm.
It's about a 4.5 hour train ride so that doesn't get us into Rome until 4:30 or 5.

My question is, do you think this is stupid? Will we be extremely exhausted trying to
do it this way or is she right and it's better to get the travel out of the way the
first day since the first day you're tired and groggy anyway? From Rome we're going
to work our way up north via Florence, Siena, Venice and then Lake Como before
spending a night in Milan and flying back.

Does this business of traveling to Rome via train make sense to you all? I looked
into flights and they were pretty expensive on Alitalia. I suppose the good thing
about the train is that we'll be in first class and able to sleep.

Marcus

Old Apr 8th 2002, 4:07 pm
Simona Quaglia

Default Re: advice for 1st day in Italy (getting to Rome?)

Well, I don't understand why you didn't get a straight flight to Rome, but since you
seem a resonable person probably it wasn't possible. Alitalia is not tha only company
that flights into Italy, other companies are Volare, Meridiana and Ghandalf. I don't
know the prices thought, but they should be less than Alitalia...The Eurostar is
preatty confortable even though is not always in time (a habbit of my country).The
tour you choosed is nice but really touristic, probably a good start if you never
been to Italy before. Enjoy.Simona

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Frank Matthews

Your agent is right in that traveling on your first day will take a day which will be
pretty much wasted anyway and get some use from it. You are also right to use
caution. While it does get you an extra day of sightseeing it will be a bit much. You
have to ask how much stress on that day the extra day of sightseeing is worth.

Personally, I'd be inclined to risk it. There don't appear to be any tight
connections. It might depend on how much luggage you are bringing. I would probably
pay extra for a limo service or taxi to make the Rome transfer simple.

Frank Matthews

Marcus Holmes wrote:

> Hi All,
    >
    > Need some opinions. I've been working a little bit with a travel agent we've used
    > a lot over the years to plan our ~16 day vacation in Italy this coming June. Our
    > flights have us going in and out of Milan. What the travel agent suggested was
    > the first day we get there should be our "travel day" where we take a bus from
    > Milan airport to the train station and hop on the Eurostar to Rome. We get into
    > Milan around 7:50am and she says a good train to make a reservation for would be
    > the 12pm. It's about a 4.5 hour train ride so that doesn't get us into Rome until
    > 4:30 or 5.
    >
    > My question is, do you think this is stupid? Will we be extremely exhausted trying
    > to do it this way or is she right and it's better to get the travel out of the way
    > the first day since the first day you're tired and groggy anyway? From Rome we're
    > going to work our way up north via Florence, Siena, Venice and then Lake Como
    > before spending a night in Milan and flying back.
    >
    > Does this business of traveling to Rome via train make sense to you all? I looked
    > into flights and they were pretty expensive on Alitalia. I suppose the good thing
    > about the train is that we'll be in first class and able to sleep.
    >
    >
    > Marcus
    >
    >

Ken Blake

"Marcus Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi All,
    >
    > Need some opinions. I've been working a little bit with a
travel agent we've
    > used a lot over the years to plan our ~16 day vacation in Italy
this coming
    > June. Our flights have us going in and out of Milan.

If you're going to Rome, why don't you fly directly to Rome? You can still fly back
from Milan at or near the same cost.

> What the travel agent suggested was the first day we get there should be
    > our "travel
day" where we
    > take a bus from Milan airport to the train station and hop on
the Eurostar
    > to Rome. We get into Milan around 7:50am and she says a good
train to make a
    > reservation for would be the 12pm.

If you do this, I wouldn't make a reservation in advance. You can get one when you
arrive at the train station. If your plane is late, you may miss your noon
reservation. And if the plane is on time, you may be able to make an earlier train;
it's no fun hanging around the train station waiting for a train.

> It's about a 4.5 hour train ride so that doesn't get us into Rome until 4:30 or 5.

This plan--flying to Milan, then taking the train to Rome--will waste almost a whole
day of your trip. Again, consider flying to Rome instead.

> My question is, do you think this is stupid? Will we be
extremely exhausted
    > trying to do it this way or is she right and it's better to get
the travel
    > out of the way the first day since the first day you're tired
and groggy
    > anyway?

The train ride should be fairly relaxing and I think she's right; it's probably a
good idea to travel when you're tired.

> From Rome we're going to work our way up north via Florence,
Siena,
    > Venice and then Lake Como before spending a night in Milan and
flying back.
    >
    > Does this business of traveling to Rome via train make sense to
you all? I
    > looked into flights and they were pretty expensive on Alitalia.
I suppose
    > the good thing about the train is that we'll be in first class
and able to
    > sleep.

Paying for a flight from Milan to Rome is expensive. That's why I suggest flying
directly to Rome.

If you do take the train, consider second class. The difference in comfort is very
slight, but the difference in cost is great.

--
Ken Blake Please reply to the newsgroup

Old Apr 8th 2002, 5:52 pm
Oughtfour

> Hi All,
    >
    > Need some opinions. I've been working a little bit with a travel agent
we've
    > used a lot over the years to plan our ~16 day vacation in Italy this
coming
    > June. Our flights have us going in and out of Milan. What the travel agent
    > suggested was the first day we get there should be our "travel day" where
we
    > take a bus from Milan airport to the train station and hop on the Eurostar to Rome.
    > We get into Milan around 7:50am and she says a good train to make
a
    > reservation for would be the 12pm. It's about a 4.5 hour train ride so
that
    > doesn't get us into Rome until 4:30 or 5.
    >
    > My question is, do you think this is stupid?

It is certainly ill-advised to fly into Milan if you want to be in Rome. (You could
still fly home from Milan.) Did your agent recommend that strategy?

I know that Milan can be a cheap gateway city for some fares, but I'd be surprised if
you couldn't find *something* (via consolidator, or connection in London, for
instance) that was as inexpensive as whatever your airfare plus bus and rail
connections to Rome.

In any case, it would be worth paying at least a little extra to avoid 4.5 hours on a
train that first day, wouldn't it?

> Will we be extremely exhausted trying to do it this way or is she right and it's
    > better to get the travel out of the way the first day since the first day you're
    > tired and groggy anyway? From Rome we're going to work our way up north via
    > Florence,
Siena,
    > Venice and then Lake Como before spending a night in Milan and flying
back.

Well, what are your alternatives? If you're stuck with the tickets, I mean. You could
fly to Rome from Milan, but I imagine that is pretty pricey. You could rejigger your
itinerary and go from Milan to your Lake Como destination. That might be more
agreeable, but what does it do to your return plan?

> Does this business of traveling to Rome via train make sense to you all? I looked
    > into flights and they were pretty expensive on Alitalia. I suppose the good thing
    > about the train is that we'll be in first class and able to sleep.

You probably have your own strategy for coping with jet lag. Mine involves staying
awake--sleeping from noon to 4:30 arrival time would only prolong the jet-lag. A
train trip would be the worst thing for that!

On the other hand, if sleep is part of your program, this is a good plan.

Good luck!

Old Apr 8th 2002, 7:53 pm
Greg M.

Frank Matthews <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Your agent is right in that traveling on your first day will take a day which will
    > be pretty much wasted anyway and get some use from it. You are also right to use
    > caution. While it does get you an extra day of sightseeing it will be a bit much.
    > You have to ask how much stress on that day the extra day of sightseeing is worth.
    >
    > Personally, I'd be inclined to risk it. There don't appear to be any tight
    > connections. It might depend on how much luggage you are bringing. I would probably
    > pay extra for a limo service or taxi to make the Rome transfer simple.
    >
    > Frank Matthews

The way I see it, the only difficulty is staying awake that first day so you can
readjust your body clock. You'll find it really tough to stay awake swaying away on a
train all afternoon, but if you can manage it, I agree that it sounds doable. An
option would be to spend the day and night in Milan and take a train out in the
morning. Milan *does* have a few sites of interest, not least one of the most
extravagant flamboyant gothic cathedrals in the world, but like the other posters, I
would prefer Rome.

Greg M.

Old Apr 8th 2002, 11:51 pm
Marcus Holmes

> It is certainly ill-advised to fly into Milan if you want to be in Rome. (You could
    > still fly home from Milan.) Did your agent recommend that strategy?

No it was one of these things where we looked at using miles then looked at fares and
seats available (i.e. a lot of the flights were full or they were going to put us in
middle seats - fun fun). It all boiled down to us flying United to Milan.

Once we did the planes then we tried to figure out how to schedule the Italy stuff
around that. That's when she suggested making the first day a hell day and working
from Rome northwards.

> Well, what are your alternatives? If you're stuck with the tickets, I
mean.
    > You could fly to Rome from Milan, but I imagine that is pretty pricey. You could
    > rejigger your itinerary and go from Milan to your Lake Como destination. That might
    > be more agreeable, but what does it do to your return plan?

The most reasonable alternative I suppose would just to be spend the night in Milan
and take the train to Rome the next day. With this strategy we lose one day but get
to miss out what some people say can be a hellish experience. Incidentally, the
reason I'm asking this here is because I recently spoke with someone who did did this
Milan - Rome trip in 2nd class and the train was full so he had to stand.

> You probably have your own strategy for coping with jet lag. Mine involves staying
    > awake--sleeping from noon to 4:30 arrival time would only prolong the jet-lag. A
    > train trip would be the worst thing for that!

Mine generally consists of staying awake although more and more I've just sort of
have been playing it by ear. If I'm real tired I'll sleep when I get there and suffer
the consequences. I've actually come to enjoy the consequences. There's something
neat about walking around the streets near your hotel when you wake up fresh as a
daisy at 4am or can't fall back asleep, whichever the case may be.

Marcus

Marcus Holmes

> Well, I don't understand why you didn't get a straight flight to Rome, but since
    > you seem a resonable person probably it wasn't possible.

Well I like to think I'm somewhat reasonable, I guess that's why I'm sanity checking
this itinerary with you fine people .

> country).The tour you choosed is nice but really touristic, probably a good start
    > if you never been to Italy before. Enjoy.Simona

Precisely. Never been to Italy before - hitting up the biggies.

Marcus

Marcus Holmes

> Personally, I'd be inclined to risk it. There don't appear to be any tight
    > connections. It might depend on how much luggage you are bringing. I would probably
    > pay extra for a limo service or taxi to make the Rome transfer simple.

Oh believe me, if we do this route I'm gonna have a limo waiting in Rome. Maybe a
bottle of champagne (or Chianti) in the hotel room waiting too .

Marcus

Marcus Holmes

> If you do take the train, consider second class. The difference in comfort is very
    > slight, but the difference in cost is great.

Can you have a reserved seat in 2nd? I've heard the train can fillup and that's why
it's best to get a reservation. Unless you enjoy standing, that
is.

Marcus

Old Apr 9th 2002, 12:51 am
Lennart Peterse

"Marcus Holmes" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    > > If you do take the train, consider second class. The difference in comfort is
    > > very slight, but the difference in cost is great.
    >
    > Can you have a reserved seat in 2nd? I've heard the train can fillup and that's why
    > it's best to get a reservation. Unless you enjoy standing, that
    > is.
Yes you can get a 2cl reservation in IC,Intercity trains and in Eurostar trains. In
the last category it's an obligatory.
L.P

Old Apr 9th 2002, 2:52 am
Ken Blake

> > If you do take the train, consider second class. The
difference
    > > in comfort is very slight, but the difference in cost is
great.
    >
    > Can you have a reserved seat in 2nd?

Yes.

> I've heard the train can fillup and that's why it's best to get a reservation.
    > Unless you enjoy
standing, that
    > is.

If it were me, I wouldn't get a ticket or reservation until I arrived in Milan, then
get both in 2nd class if possible, and in 1st class if second isn't available.

--
Ken Blake Please reply to the newsgroup
    >
    >
    > Marcus

Old Apr 9th 2002, 4:56 am
Allen

news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Need some opinions. I've been working a little bit with a travel agent we've used
    > a lot over the years to plan our ~16 day vacation in Italy this coming June. Our
    > flights have us going in and out of Milan. What the travel agent suggested was
    > the first day we get there should be our "travel day" where we take a bus from
    > Milan airport to the train station and hop on the Eurostar to Rome. We get into
    > Milan around 7:50am and she says a good train to make a reservation for would be
    > the 12pm. It's about a 4.5 hour train ride so that doesn't get us into Rome until
    > 4:30 or 5.
Why go straight to Rome anyway? Milan is a very nice city and well worth a day. Get
the FN train from the terminal basement to Milan Nord station. Walk down (or get
subway) to the Catherdal/ Galaeria area for the morning, have lunch, go see the "Last
Supper" BUT book!, then spend the night in Milan, go to Rome the next day on an early
Eurostar, and be there about lunch time. You will feel better and have seen something
of Italy's much neglected second city.

I presume the airfare and or availability is the reason for Milan. At christmas we
got a fare about 40% cheaper from Oz to Milan rather than Rome (the fare was valid to
Rome, BUT there were NO seats to Rome AT THAT PRICE, six weeks ahead and the day
after the fare was announced).

Allen

Old Apr 9th 2002, 4:56 am
Marcus Holmes

> If it were me, I wouldn't get a ticket or reservation until I arrived in Milan,
    > then get both in 2nd class if possible, and in 1st class if second isn't available.

What about general safety on Italian trains? My brother had a bag stolen on an
Italian train a couple years ago. I've never been to the country but have never had
problems on trains in England, France, Austria, etc.

Do I need to be extra cautious in Italy? Would it be foolish for both of us to fall
asleep on the train? Any difference in this regard between 1st/2nd class?

Marcus

Old Apr 9th 2002, 1:01 pm
Alan Thomas Har

Marcus Holmes wrote:
    >
    > What about general safety on Italian trains? My brother had a bag stolen on an
    > Italian train a couple years ago. I've never been to the country but have never had
    > problems on trains in England, France, Austria, etc.

I shouldn't be too worried about this on a Eurostar Italia express. The infrequent
stops give a thief little oportunity to steal your bag and get it off the train.

>
    > Do I need to be extra cautious in Italy? Would it be foolish for both of us to fall
    > asleep on the train? Any difference in this regard between 1st/2nd class?

Maybe Italian thieves might think that the rich bastards in first have more stuff
that'w worth nicking and will miss it less. But, seriously, I don't think that
there will be a problem in either class.

Alan Harrison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.