Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.australia+nz
Reload this Page >

Spring Wild Flowers in Perth?

Spring Wild Flowers in Perth?

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 4:14 pm
Scottish Quilter

Default Spring Wild Flowers in Perth?

We will be in Perth from 6th-10th September. I understand the Spring Wild flowers
will be t their best. Where is a good area to see them and are there "Wild Flower
tours"? Elma in Glasgow, Scotland, UK (Remove spex to reply by email)

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

ozoverland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring Wild Flowers in Perth?

Originally posted by Scottish Quilter:
We will be in Perth from 6th-10th September. I understand the Spring Wild flowers
will be t their best. Where is a good area to see them and are there "Wild Flower
tours"? Elma in Glasgow, Scotland, UK (Remove spex to reply by email)
There are plenty of wildflower tours to choose from! Be warned though, if you are going on a day trip, ignore the colourful brochures depicting carpets of flowers. These areas are out of reach of the day tours, and your high expectaions will leave you disappointed. That said, up in the Darling Ranges and Avon Valley, you will see a wide range of fauna and flora, but not on the same scale.

Best opt for a couple of days, then you'll be treated to better vistas!
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 11:15 pm
Gordon

If you want to see a good show of wild flowers you are much better planning on around
3 or 4 day tour and heading north a popular route would take you north up the coast
to Geraldton, calling in to see the Pinnacles along the way. From Geraldton head East
and drive out to Mount Magnet through Mullewa. This area is absolutely beautiful, in
a good season, after good winter rains. which we haven't had for a couple of year.
But driving east to Mount Magnet through Yalgoo you will find the rare Wreath Flower
a type of Leschenaultia that grows in a circle resembling a wreath. Only one of many
unique and colourful examples of wildflowers seen. The most outstanding areas are in
the Gascoyne , Murchison region of Western Australia. If you hire a car and have
limited time do a drive out to Paynes Find or Mount Magnet, its a solid day driving
you would probably be better planning an overnight stay at Paynes Find but book
before hand. Its an old gold mining settlement now a pub and a few motel units, with
a mining museum out the back. Interesting way of life will show you something of life
in the outback totally different to Scotland.

Regards

Gordon
http://www.stablesyanchep.com.au

PS all the roads I have mentioned are bitumen so they are driveable in a
normal sedan.

Scottish Quilter wrote:

> We will be in Perth from 6th-10th September. I understand the Spring Wild flowers
    > will be t their best. Where is a good area to see them and are there "Wild Flower
    > tours"? Elma in Glasgow, Scotland, UK (Remove spex to reply by email)

Old Aug 24th 2002, 1:50 pm
Anne

I live just south of Perth and have noticed alot of the wildflowers are coming out
already. We had an artivle in the West Australian Newspaper on the 3rd of August and
they gave a bit of an outline on the best places to see alot of wildflowers. There is
a contact email address there that I will give you, I am sure that they will be able
to help you regarding a tours, there are many of them this time of year. It all
depends how far you want to travel and what you would like to see the most of.
[email protected]

Scottish Quilter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We will be in Perth from 6th-10th September. I understand the Spring Wild flowers
    > will be t their best. Where is a good area to see them and are there "Wild Flower
    > tours"? Elma in Glasgow, Scotland, UK (Remove spex to reply by email)