Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.africa
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Africa...

Travelling to Africa...

Old Jul 24th 2002, 7:20 pm
Vera Cheal

Default Travelling to Africa...

First off - please excuse the form of advertising - but I feel sure it is beneficial
to all travellers thinking of or travelling to Africa.

Let me introduce you to The Africa Guide.

A comprehensive guide to every country in Africa. It contains essential information
such as visas (listing of embassies around the world), money, health, climate, car
hire, internet cafes, electrical power, travel insurance.

Details of and links accommodation establishments in each country - many of which you
can check availability and book online

We have recently launched our new launch of our Travel and Tour Programme... a place
where you can browse through the Itineraries of a whole selection of tours, safaris,
adventure activities, overland trips or conservation projects offered throughout the
African continent. Currently, having over 140 different tours and safaris with
varying prices offered by many different tour operators, this number grows each day.

We also have a large shop - with a huge selection of maps, books, videos, African art
& craft, African music and travel gear

You can take part in our active forum board... leave messages for other travellers or
search out further information...

All the information on The Africa Guide is free of charge and easy to navigate
through - no registration or fee is required for access

why not take a look - I'm sure you won't regret it....

http://www.africaguide.com

Regards Vera

Old Jul 24th 2002, 7:20 pm
Koos Greeff

Default Re: Travelling to Africa...

I would like to take Mr. Patterson on - if I look at his address it seems to me he is
one of the Big Dogs that can afford his own rest camps, lodges, guides etc and his
purpose is to keep the rest of us out of the game. Come on man - if you can afford to
launch your own a brochures and have it around for people to check out - what sort of
money are you talking about. And big is never better. The best safari, the best camp
sites, the best restaurants are usually the best kept secrets and is often your
so-called free-lancers that know what is happening and takes you there.

Enough of this "better-than-though' attitude Koos

Dave Patterson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Vera Cheal wrote:
    >
    > > First off - please excuse the form of advertising - but I feel sure it is
    > > beneficial to all travellers thinking of or travelling to Africa.
    > >
    > > Let me introduce you to The Africa Guide.
    >
    > I'll resist the urge to "flame" the lady for posting her web site. It truly is
    > advertising. But I do have a few observations about the safari listings.
    >
    > As you look through the offerings, particularly for east Africa, you see
    > (repeatedly) trips that cannot specify the lodges, camps, where a traveler would
    > stay. This is the only sign you need that the safari operator doesn't have the
    > contracts he should have (IMO) to guarantee the quality of the experience. Yes, you
    > may get lucky and stay at a good place. Yes, you may be satisfied with your stay
    > even at a 2nd-level lodge or camp. But you run the risk of disappointment.
    >
    > And where do the driver/guides come from? Are they employees? Or free-lancers
    > employed only when needed.
    >
    > My advice? Look for safaris that guarantee your accommodations, and then research
    > those lodges/camps to see what you think about them.
    >
    > Sometimes, brochures from the big companies can be a clue to which lodges are the
    > better choices.
    >
    > Then when you find those places in a less costly trip (but guaranteed) you can be
    > one step closer to a safari with no surprises, and one where that part of your
    > experience meets your expectations.
    >
    >
    >

> TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--

Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:20 pm
vera

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:30:34 -0600, Dave Patterson <[email protected]> wrote:

There are countless safari
    >operations that don't have exposure to the marketplace, and they may benefit from
    >this new website. I hope they do.
    >
A "new" website is incorrect. The Africa Guide has been on the Internet since 1995...

and The Safari Operators listed on The Africa Guide do have exposure in the
marketplace - they all have websites...

so you should check your facts....

Vera

Old Jul 25th 2002, 4:20 am
Dave Patterson

OK, I give up.

TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--

Old Jul 25th 2002, 7:20 pm
Koos Greeff

Thanks - I appreciate it. Perhaps a better way would be write the lady personally if
you have doubts about the integrity of some of the safaris she markets. Another
problem might just be that these operators are not so clued up in marketing as others
are and has neglected to give exact detail - I think it is unfair to condemn them or
to cast doubt on there activities - that sounds very selfish and "Big Dog"

Seeing we are all in the same boat - lets work together and help one another to offer
better services to the tourists out there. (The truth of the matter is probably that
the "Big Dogs" is not running around here and that we are mostly small fry.)

Just a few points to consider. In the many years I have been involved with supplying
accommodation I have learned that:
1: The "Big Dogs" are often based overseas and keeps the money there.
2: Often employs overseas operators that are only out for the kick of it. A few
months and they move on again.
3: Pays there workers very poor salaries.
4: Rush from one "isolated" site to the next with big blank spaces in-between.
5: Uses only there own lodges or those belonging to there associates and effectively
"cocoon" the tourist from the real Africa out there.
6: Has little or no concern for the rest of the local public and for Africa - they
are in it for the money.

Africa needs sustainable development and we as operators have a very important role
to play. Let's do it together. Koos

Dave Patterson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Koos Greeff wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to take Mr. Patterson on - if I look at his address it
seems to
    > > me he is one of the Big Dogs that can afford his own rest camps, lodges, guides
    > > etc and his purpose is to keep the rest of us out of the game.
Come
    > > on man - if you can afford to launch your own a brochures and have it
around
    > > for people to check out - what sort of money are you talking about.
    >
    > No problem. I am certainly not a "Big Dog". I am a very small operator, in fact. My
    > brochures are cheap and simple. I do send out free videos to prospects, but I
    > produce them myself. Shoot the video, do the editing, make the
copies.
    > Don't jump to conclusions. My markups are modest, my prices are fair, and my
    > satisfaction comes from giving clients a smooth experience with no surprises.
    >
    > I can guarantee my clients where they will stay. These are not usually the
most
    > expensive. But they are lodges and camps where quality and service are exemplary.
    > Places we pick based on our experience. And the ones we exclude are also based on
    > our experience.
    >
    > If you are an operator specializing in South Africa, you are right when you say
    > that local knowledge is important. There are countless safari operations that don't
    > have exposure to the marketplace, and they may benefit from this new website. I
    > hope they do.
    >
    > But this is just plain laughable:
    >
    > > his purpose is to keep the rest of us out of the game.
    >
    > The only people I want to take business away from are those "Big Dogs" you dislike.
    >
    >
    >

> TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--

Old Jul 25th 2002, 8:20 pm
Liz

In message <[email protected]>
[email protected] wrote:

>
    > I must add, in my defence, that I at least declared my posting as an advert -
Yes, fair enough. It would have been better still if you'd put AD in the subject
line, but that's a relatively minor quibble.....

> whereas it could be said that you advertise your company in this Newsgroup- through
    > your "displayed" email address......
That *is* generally acceptable netiquette.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk Safaris (Kenya and Tanzania); India, Seychelles
"I speak of Africa and golden joys"

Old Jul 26th 2002, 1:20 pm
Vera Cheal

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:25:49 +0100, Liz <[email protected]> wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> I must add, in my defence, that I at least declared my posting as an advert -
    >Yes, fair enough. It would have been better still if you'd put AD in the subject
    >line, but that's a relatively minor quibble.....
If that is "Newsgroup netiquette" I have no problems with doing this in any future
postings... PS: where can I get details of what is acceptable in newsgroups and what
is not????
    >
    >> whereas it could be said that you advertise your company in this Newsgroup-
    >> through your "displayed" email address......
    >That *is* generally acceptable netiquette.
Yes - I'm not disputing that.. I'm just saying there is little difference.

Dave and myself resolved the issues by PMs

and I still would like to encourage anyone who are truely interested in visiting
Africa or has a trip planned to visit The Africa Guide for essential information such
as visas, money, climate, getting around, car hire, charities, conservation,
overlanding, etc... all free access and that's just tor travellers, there's much more
other info.... http://www.africaguide.com

>
    >Liz

Old Jul 26th 2002, 6:20 pm
Liz

In message <[email protected]> Vera Cheal
<[email protected]> wrote:

> PS: where can I get details of what is acceptable in newsgroups and what is not????
A simple AltaVista search threw up (inter alia): http://www.albion.com/netiquette
http://newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html http://www.furrs.org/FAQs/advo.htm

> >> whereas it could be said that you advertise your company in this Newsgroup-
    > >> through your "displayed" email address......
    > >That *is* generally acceptable netiquette.
    > Yes - I'm not disputing that.. I'm just saying there is little difference.
That's certainly debatable, but OT

> Dave and myself resolved the issues by PMs
OK, wozzat???

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk Safaris (Kenya and Tanzania); India, Seychelles
"I speak of Africa and golden joys"

Old Jul 27th 2002, 12:20 am
Al Robinson

I checked the sites Liz referred to and found this statement:

"If you have a product or a message that is specifically related to a particular
Usenet newsgroup, and you want to let people know about it, it's usually all right to
post one notice about it."

Each news group is different, and subject to the wishes of the general readership of
that group and what they will tolerate. However, the above seems like a pretty good
guideline as to what types of commercial messages are acceptable here.

Ciao, Al R http://www.alrobinson.com

"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> A simple AltaVista search threw up (inter alia): http://www.albion.com/netiquette
    > http://newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html http://www.furrs.org/FAQs/advo.htm

Old Oct 11th 2002, 11:27 am
Just Joined

BlueMenOfMorocco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Al Robinson:
I checked the sites Liz referred to and found this statement:

"If you have a product or a message that is specifically related to a particular
Usenet newsgroup, and you want to let people know about it, it's usually all right to
post one notice about it."

Each news group is different, and subject to the wishes of the general readership of
that group and what they will tolerate. However, the above seems like a pretty good
guideline as to what types of commercial messages are acceptable here.

Ciao, Al R http://www.alrobinson.com

"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> A simple AltaVista search threw up (inter alia): http://www.albion.com/netiquette
    > http://newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html http://www.furrs.org/FAQs/advo.htm
I find the above messages very interesting. Actually, I found this thread by searching for "marketplaces" as I wished to make an obvious AD for our tour business to Morocco rather
than just contributing to a message and then show my URL address in my email trailer.

I had never quite put into thoughts the above comments about BIG Guys and Us small fry. But I would assume it is the small fry that use chat groups to gain exposure and hence, business, as they have more time than money to spend.

I still am confused as above the window where I am writing this, it clearly states in RED that commercial posts are strictly prohibited in all forums except "Marketplace".
Old Oct 11th 2002, 12:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Blue Men of Mor:
I still am confused as above the window where I am writing this, it clearly states in RED that commercial posts are strictly prohibited in all forums except "Marketplace".
The posts you are referring to are from "usenet posters". This site is a gateway to reach specific newsgroups. The messages are pulled down from newsgroups so that our members can read and reply to them with out using a newsreader. Obviously we do not want to send spam to the newsgroups, but sometimes spam misses our "spam control" and gets pulled down to this website.

To enable us to control spam we moderate this site and therefore ask anyone who wishes to use advertise to use marketplace, which doesn't go to the newsgroups.

Sue
Old Oct 11th 2002, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

BlueMenOfMorocco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sue:

The posts you are referring to are from "usenet posters". This site is a gateway to reach specific newsgroups. The messages are pulled down from newsgroups so that our members can read and reply to them with out using a newsreader. Obviously we do not want to send spam to the newsgroups, but sometimes spam misses our "spam control" and gets pulled down to this website.

To enable us to control spam we moderate this site and therefore ask anyone who wishes to use advertise to use marketplace, which doesn't go to the newsgroups.

Sue
Sue, this is a separate question and does not belong in this thread. I use a newgroup server that includes many groups. This site is not included. HOW CAN I ADD THIS SITE or what newgroup server should I add to include this site.
Again, my aplogoies for being out of content.