Mt Kilimanjaro climb

Old Jun 14th 2001, 3:17 am
Steve

I am seriously considering climbing Mt Kilimanjaro next year around May. It will be
my first climb and I plan to go alone, except for the guide and any porters. Can
someone give me the name or names & addresses of tour companies that specialize in
Kili WITH a high success rate of summiting. Personal experience preferred and no
soliciations from companies please. I figure 6 to 8 days to make, and it's important
to me to summit. I would be buying my own tent and other equipment for the trip--I've
read it's better to do this than rent it there. I SINCERELY appreciate your help &
ANY suggestions. Steve (USA)

Old Jun 14th 2001, 11:59 am
Anna Fawke

Hi, Well I have no personal experience yet, I am planning on climbing Kili in august
this year. I am flying out of GB using a package deal (Travelbag Adventures). So far
so good with them. I don't have the means to organise a private trip, but have
researched various companies. I came across a US company called Leading Edge who
seemed to be very serious and had a very high success rate. I don't remember if they
do private trips or just group tours but they may be worth a try. I also recall
reading on the internet somewhere about a guy who had done the same as you plan to
do. He recommened it, though found it a bit lonely due to communication problems with
the guide and porters. He also went on a very little used trail and so managed to
avoid the traditional tourist trails. I'll see if I can find a link to his page.

Hope this is of use!

Anna

Steve wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 14th 2001, 2:12 pm
Terks FujoMasta

>

Check out: http://www.altrec.com/features/crownofafrica/ - there you'll find Moshi
based companies recommended by a park warden - go for the MJ one.
http://www.gorp.com/gorp/location/af...a/home_kil.htm - found it useful.
Other than that there's this hotel in Marangu run by a couple of Brits - can't
remember the name but ya'll find it described in your copy of the Lonely Planet guide
for East Africa. Taken 'em once and they're OK!

>
That could well be one slippery ride sir! Terks

Old Jun 15th 2001, 7:50 am
Anna Fawke

Here's a link to a guy did Kili on his own. Anna

http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/7093/index.html

Steve wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 15th 2001, 3:16 pm
Rich Clafton

Hi Steve

Whoever you go with, the important thing is acclimatisation.

Alot of the commercial trips 'dash' for the summit and do not allow enough
acclimitisation which means failure and danger

Plan on extra time and your chances of success go up proportionally with that time.

The ability to summit comes with how you respond to the demands on your body. Have
not done Kili but did kenya 2 years ago

The schedule allowed for a day walking the summit traverse before attempting the top
with a drop in altitude to sleep, this worked well (walk high,sleep low)

This is also the approach taken in Nepal, again resulting in success

It may cost a little more but if you want to get there then not alot
more..................

Rich

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 21st 2001, 2:07 pm
Steve

Thank you Anna. Hope you can find the link. I'll try to search them out as well.
Think I may have heard of them too. Let me know about your climbing experiences when
you return, if you don't mind. Steve

Old Jun 21st 2001, 2:21 pm
Steve

Thanks for the site to check. Slippery in May?--wet season--Might be smarter to go in
Ausust. Thanks again, Steve

Old Jun 21st 2001, 2:23 pm
Steve

My Web tv can make the connection to this site. Is there something that can be
modified to make it work? Steve

Old Jun 21st 2001, 2:27 pm
Steve

Thanks Rich, good advice.Any company you can highly recommend to improve my chances
of summiting? My plan was for 6 to 7 days, 8 if needed to summit. I figured if I get
sick, I'll have to decend, try to get well again in a day or so and try again. Is
this reasonable? Steve

Old Jun 30th 2001, 11:51 pm
Rick Green

Steve,

Steve wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

A couple of pages that might help you with your planning:

* http://www.freshtracks.com/tales/afjh.htm
* http://www.freshtracks.com/trips/tb-zl-z.htm

Good luck!

Rick.
--
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Rick Green Fresh Tracks Adventure Travel Centres "Adventures for the Untourist" @
http://www.freshtracks.com

1847 West 4th Ave. Toll Free: 1-800-627-7492 Vancouver, B.C. Phone: (604) 737-7880
Canada V6J 1M4 Hours: M-F, 9.00am-5.30pm; Sa, 10.00am-5.00pm PST

Old Jul 8th 2001, 9:52 pm
Rich Clafton

Steve

>
    >

Sorry - have not done Kili , just experienced at altitude so passing on what I know

>
    >

Yes and no, if ill then descend is the only option, depends how ill before going
back up again. Remember it is better to have tried, failed and lived than tried,
failed and die

Sorry to be so morbid but have seen the effects of altitude on people.

Saying that you have a good attitude and a sound approach. Make it clear to the
people you hire the way you want to approach the mountain climb and if they are
trying to hurry you and say no,no 5 days is enough etc etc. then find another
company, , make it clear that you will pay the extra days (maybe negotiate on a daily
rate) but remember that the longer you are up there the more food etc that is gonig
to be needed so a finite number of days is possible.

a good book on ams is 'Altitude Illness, Prevention and treatment' isbn 1 871890 57 8
published (in the UK anyway) by Cordee (in the US by The Mounaineers, Seattle)

Good luck

Rich

Old Jul 13th 2001, 5:36 am
Graeme Sinclair

Try http://www.kilimanjaro.co.tz/home.htm I climbed with them in August 2000. Good
company, great guides. Graeme Sinclair

>
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I am seriously considering climbing Mt Kilimanjaro next year around May. It will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > be my first climb and I plan to go alone, except for the guide and any porters.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can someone give me the name or names & addresses of tour companies that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > specialize in Kili WITH a high success rate of summiting. Personal experience[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > preferred and no soliciations from companies please. I figure 6 to 8 days to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > make, and it's important to me to summit. I would be buying my own tent and other[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > equipment for the trip--I've read it's better to do this than rent it there.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~- ~-~-~-~-
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 16th 2002, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

NURJAN Z. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Steve:
I am seriously considering climbing Mt Kilimanjaro next year around May. It will be
my first climb and I plan to go alone, except for the guide and any porters. Can
someone give me the name or names & addresses of tour companies that specialize in
Kili WITH a high success rate of summiting. Personal experience preferred and no
soliciations from companies please. I figure 6 to 8 days to make, and it's important
to me to summit. I would be buying my own tent and other equipment for the trip--I've
read it's better to do this than rent it there. I SINCERELY appreciate your help &
ANY suggestions. Steve (USA)
:

Hi! Mr Steve,
I am an Tour Operator in Arusha Tanzania my website is www.tanzaniatravelholidays.com, but I am in prosses of my new website which will be exoticsafaristz.com, please would like to introduce myself my name Mrs Nurjan Z. , me and my husband work together, my husband is ex-director of sunny safaris, now we have opened our own company which is EXOTIC TOURS AND SAFARIS LTD e-mail [email protected]. Please if you are interested in Mt. climbing please send me your e-mail address and I can send you some Itineraries of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Thanks!