Larium - A comment

Old Jun 29th 2001, 12:28 pm
PumpkinPepper

In preparation for my trip to Kenya I read everything there was on this newsgroup,
from the CDC in Atlanta Georgia, and from the library regarding taking larium. If you
read only the warnings you are definitely going to fear taking this product. After
contacting my doctor and hearing that in all the years he has been prescribing it he
has never been aware of any of his patients having side-affects. Then of course I
checked the price of the new medicine and realized the cost here in the States was
prohibited. So I chanced the Larium. Went off to Kenya in late May, have been home
almost a month, and have had NOT ONE side-effect from the product. I just wonder what
the percentage is of all the thousands of people who have taken Larium have had
really bad side-affects. You only hear about the few horror stories. You don't hear
from the other percentage who have not had problems.

Old Jun 29th 2001, 2:09 pm
Hans-Georg Michna

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes, most people have no significant side effects from Lariam. I don't have the
numbers, but I guess the percentage of people with bad side effects is less than 10%.
Of course it depends a lot on where you draw the line.

The best way to go about this is to take Lariam when you don't want to afford the
more expensive Malarone, then see whether you're affected by side effects. If you
are, drop Lariam, bite the bullet and take Malarone.

By the way, I once took the cure dose, roughly a sixfold overdose compared to the
phrophylactic dose, and had interestintg side effects, to say the least. But at the
high dosage this shouldn't surprise anyone. Still, all these side effects are better
than malaria, and I would take it again if I had no other choice.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old Jun 29th 2001, 9:16 pm
Barbera Wallace

[usenetquote2]> >In preparation for my trip to Kenya I read everything there was on this newsgroup,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >from the CDC in Atlanta Georgia, and from the library regarding taking larium. If[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >you read only the warnings you are definitely going to fear taking this product.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >After contacting my doctor and hearing that in all the years he has been[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >prescribing it he has never been aware of any of his patients having side-affects.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Then of course I checked the price of the new medicine and realized the cost here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >in the States was prohibited. So I chanced the Larium. Went off to Kenya in late[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >May, have been home almost a month, and have had NOT ONE side-effect from the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >product. I just wonder what the percentage is of all the thousands of people who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >have taken Larium have had really bad side-affects. You only hear about the few[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >horror stories. You don't hear from the other percentage who have not had[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >problems.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you could only get slight headaches or a bit of nausea or something it wouldn't be
that bad, but Lariam can really do strange things with your mind. Being physically
ill in a strange country is no fun, but being mentally ill in a strange country is
*really* bad! I think it's a big chance to take. If there had been Malarone when I
went to Africa, I would have been glad to pay the extra money.

It *is* true of course that you hear more bad stories than good stories. "If you
experience something nice, you tell one person. If you have a bad experience, you
tell ten people."

--
Barbera Wallace

For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit The Anglo-American Humour
(humor) Site http://funny.as/anything

Old Jun 30th 2001, 1:27 am
Steve

My ex-wife & I took it last year. Neither one of us had any side effects, and she
takes quite a few other prescription pills. The sun caused more problems than
anything for her, even with a # 40 sunblock! It just about reactivated her Lupus.
Next time we're going to a #60, special order type sunblock.

Old Jun 30th 2001, 8:28 am
Hans-Georg Michna

Barbera,

the best way to handle this may be to begin taking Lariam, which you do before
leaving anyway, and see if you get side effects. If you do, drop Lariam and go for
the more expensive Malarone.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old Jul 1st 2001, 9:03 am
kconover

Everyone keeps referring to the prohibitve cost of Malarone--how much are we talking
here, just out of curiosity? I took Larium and was severely naseous every day of my
last trip to Africa--I will avoid it at (almost) any cost. Kirsten

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 1st 2001, 9:55 am
Patricia Anderson

in message

[usenetquote2]>> In preparation for my trip to Kenya I read everything there was on this newsgroup,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> from the CDC in Atlanta Georgia, and from the library regarding taking larium. If[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> you read only the warnings you are definitely going to fear taking this product.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> After contacting my doctor and hearing that in all the years he has been[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> prescribing it he has never been aware of any of his patients having side-affects.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Then of course I checked the price of the new medicine and realized the cost here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> in the States was prohibited. So I chanced the Larium. Went off to Kenya in late[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> May, have been home almost a month, and have had NOT ONE side-effect from the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> product. I just wonder what the percentage is of all the thousands of people who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> have taken Larium have had really bad side-affects. You only hear about the few[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> horror stories. You don't hear from the other percentage who have not had[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> problems.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
Kirsten, I`m not sure where you are but here in Britain the cost of twelve Malarone
tablets is £35 (thirty five) The dosage is one tablet per day and the same dose for
seven days after your return. You should also take one tablet one or two days before
travelling. Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old Jul 1st 2001, 5:18 pm
Barbera Wallace

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I did take Lariam before I left. In hindsight, I did get side effects. At that
moment, I didn't recognize them though.

I thought I was nauseous, had a headache and no appetite because of the stress of
having to arrange 7000 things in a very short time. I thought the homesickness-like
feeling was because of the fact that I had given up my house and lived with my
friend's parents for the last couple of weeks before we left. I also felt that
everybody was behaving suspiciously, but because I was with people I knew and loved,
in a safe environment, I managed to stop it from really getting to me. This was all
from just a couple of pills, so you can imagine what taking it for months in a row
did to me.

If anyone is considering taking Lariam, please keep this story in mind. It might help
you to look at yourself more carefully before deciding to go for Lariam.

--
Barbera Wallace

What does a slightly insane Englishman think of the Dutch? To find out, visit the
Dutch & Such website: http://funny.as/dutchmen

Old Jul 2nd 2001, 7:10 am
Barbara Vaughan

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

However, I think the probability of side effects increases with time, so this
strategy may not work. My daughter spent last summer in Zambia. She had no problems
with Larium for the first month she was in Zambia, but then began to experience lurid
dreams and unpleasant mental effects. She had to stop taking it in the end.

My husband and I had no problems with Larium when we went to visit her. We always
took it on a full stomach and drank more than half a liter of water with each dose.
However, ours was a short trip

Barbara

Barbara

Old Jul 2nd 2001, 9:05 am
Hans-Georg Michna

>
    >

Barbara,

that makes it difficult. It would be good if Malarone were available at the
destination, perhaps even at a better price.

Does anybody know whether Malarone is available in Kenya?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old Jul 2nd 2001, 12:33 pm
Patricia Anderson

[usenetquote2]>>However, I think the probability of side effects increases with time, so this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>strategy may not work.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Hans Georg, I`ve checked on http://www.google.com on the availability of Malarone in
Kenya. There`s a lot of information there. It seems that Malarone is registered in
Kenya but the Ministry of Health say it`s too expensive! I doubt we can rely on
getting it in Kenya at a cheaper price. Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 6:49 pm
Ronald

nieuws [email protected]...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

one last comment on this: something that helped us a lot on our last trip to Guinea.
We did experience some side effects from the lariam in the beginnin until our doctor
advised us to take not one tablet once a week but half a tablet twice a week. When we
started doing that the side effects (mainly stomach upsets) dissapeared.

Old Jul 4th 2001, 7:18 am
Hans-Georg Michna

>
    >
    >
    >

Ronald,

good idea, but be aware that the effectiveness is reduced. Lariam works on the
premise that the concentration in your blood varies in a weekly cycle with high peaks
once a week.

If you take half a tablet twice a week, you never reach the same high concentration
(once a week).

I wonder if this method is condoned by the manufacturer of Lariam. I suspect it
isn't.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old Jul 7th 2001, 8:40 pm
alex

Just to add all that has been said - I have just returned from Kenya and took Larium
as did my friends. Non of us had any special side effects except vivid dreams (which
can sometimes be funny if your friends gets up in the morning asking whether you've
seen the monkeys that were there last night and you have totally no idea what he is
talking about) Alex

>
[usenetquote2]> >one last comment on this: something that helped us a lot on our last trip[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> >Guinea. We did experience some side effects from the lariam in the[/usenetquote2]
beginnin
[usenetquote2]> >until our doctor advised us to take not one tablet once a week but half a tablet[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >twice a week. When we started doing that the side effects (mainly stomach upsets)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >dissapeared.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 9th 2001, 2:29 pm
Joanna

What no one has mentioned yet is that Malerone contains Paludrine - which also causes
a lot of bad side effects and can ruin your trip - as it did mine until I stopped
taking it being left then with only cloraquine for protection. For me and my husband
Larium has been great on numerous occasions.

I think it is just horses for courses and your own doctor or travel centre can give
the best advice.

I agree with the posters who recommend taking Larium for a couple of weeks before you
travel if it is the first time you are taking it.

Joanna

>
we
    >
    >
any
    >

[usenetquote2]> > In preparation for my trip to Kenya I read everything there was on this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > newsgroup, from the CDC in Atlanta Georgia, and from the library regarding taking[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > larium. If you read only the warnings you are definitely going to fear taking[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > this product. After contacting my doctor and hearing that in all the years he has[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > been prescribing it he has never been aware of any of his patients having[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > side-affects. Then of course I checked the price of the new medicine and realized[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the cost here in the States was prohibited. So I chanced the Larium. Went off to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Kenya in late May, have been home almost a month, and have had NOT ONE[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > side-effect from the product. I just wonder what the percentage is of all the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thousands of people who have taken Larium have had really bad side-affects. You[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > only hear about the few horror stories. You don't hear from the other percentage[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > who have not had problems.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.