Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

wind-chill in Portugal

wind-chill in Portugal

Old Dec 11th 2021, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wind-chill in Portugal

We lived through the winter, spring, summer and autumn in Olhao. It was windy in winter and we used the aircon/heater on the heating feature three nights that year and probably could have done without it really. Our flat was south facing on one side and had triple glazed windows, so it was well insulated and very comfortable INSIDE both winter and all through summer.

As we lived near the sea I took beach walks every morning and wore a hat, windbreaker, jumper. There are so many sunny days in the winter, very very nice for a walker like myself.

Summer was more bothersome with high hot heat and swarms of mosquitoes. Spring, winter and autumn brought the best weather imo.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 2:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nand
We lived through the winter, spring, summer and autumn in Olhao. It was windy in winter and we used the aircon/heater on the heating feature three nights that year and probably could have done without it really. Our flat was south facing on one side and had triple glazed windows, so it was well insulated and very comfortable INSIDE both winter and all through summer.

As we lived near the sea I took beach walks every morning and wore a hat, windbreaker, jumper. There are so many sunny days in the winter, very very nice for a walker like myself.

Summer was more bothersome with high hot heat and swarms of mosquitoes. Spring, winter and autumn brought the best weather imo.
Shhhhh.... don't mention Olhao!! We don't want it becoming another Algarve enclave!

We have bought an apartment there, looking to the time we no longer relish isolation in the hills... We "avoided" Olhao for years (it hardly tempts you from the Ni125!) until we "discovered" the Baixa. Now, our apartment is right on the margin and a five-minute stroll to the markets is a pleasure..... as is the climate.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Shhhhh.... don't mention Olhao!! We don't want it becoming another Algarve enclave!
I think that's a bit too late. Already advertising like mad here through sunway holidays etc. Nothing lasts long, so enjoy while you can.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

A cold country with hot sun is spot on. Winters are surprisingly harsh. East wind tends to be the worst. I'm sure we all know the saying about bad winds and bad marriages coming from the East. However, the low cloud bringing cold and damp usually between Jan and April isn't something I look forward to.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 5:56 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think that's a bit too late. Already advertising like mad here through sunway holidays etc. Nothing lasts long, so enjoy while you can.
Luckily, there are few hotels and not much room "downtown" to build more, plus it's still a working town - so I think it will be spared the fate of other places further west.

At the moment, they seem keen to exploit the frontage as a marina and the French have bought into the baixa in a big way..... so I'm not expecting too many coach parties!
Old Dec 11th 2021, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Olhao, many, many years ago, was just small working fishing village, same as Fuzeta. But the markets there are brilliant. There was an old lady on one of the fish stalls and we used to ask for tuna steaks, she'd move the knife up and down, until we decided.

4 euros, but it was a very long time ago.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 6:43 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
Olhao, many, many years ago, was just small working fishing village, same as Fuzeta. But the markets there are brilliant. There was an old lady on one of the fish stalls and we used to ask for tuna steaks, she'd move the knife up and down, until we decided.

4 euros, but it was a very long time ago.
Still great... we were introduced to Biqueirões Albardados (the delicious fried fresh achovy fillets that are an Olhao speciality) by a lady in the market who fried them at her stall for us to try! No charge - Deeeeelish! That was maybe 3 years ago...

Another lady, in the vegetable market (same time), promised SWMBO some fig cuttings and brought her half a dozen, no charge, which have now created a dozen fig trees back in the Alentejo, of two varieties!!

We love Olhao because of the people...... OK and the climate, and the Baixa, and the food, and the markets, and.......
Old Dec 12th 2021, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Still great... we were introduced to Biqueirões Albardados (the delicious fried fresh achovy fillets that are an Olhao speciality) by a lady in the market who fried them at her stall for us to try! No charge - Deeeeelish! That was maybe 3 years ago...

Another lady, in the vegetable market (same time), promised SWMBO some fig cuttings and brought her half a dozen, no charge, which have now created a dozen fig trees back in the Alentejo, of two varieties!!

We love Olhao because of the people...... OK and the climate, and the Baixa, and the food, and the markets, and.......
On the aforementioned cycle rides very often stop at The Park Cafe in Olhao and have been known to attend the occasional S C Olhanense game.

Old Dec 12th 2021, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

and today, very comfortable wandering around in shorts and T-shirt. Barely a breath of wind and our outside aircon unit (unit in the sun, but temp sensor not in direct sunlight) already says 25 degrees. Not a strictly accurate reading, but I find it gives quite a good indication of how it feels (the weather forecast says max of 19, but it definitely feels warmer)

Just need to remember to put on my coat when I go to the shops, so I don't get too many "crazy foreigner" looks from all the folks bundled up in Winter coats
Old Dec 12th 2021, 1:01 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Alan PT
and today, very comfortable wandering around in shorts and T-shirt. Barely a breath of wind and our outside aircon unit (unit in the sun, but temp sensor not in direct sunlight) already says 25 degrees. Not a strictly accurate reading, but I find it gives quite a good indication of how it feels (the weather forecast says max of 19, but it definitely feels warmer)

Just need to remember to put on my coat when I go to the shops, so I don't get too many "crazy foreigner" looks from all the folks bundled up in Winter coats
.............and scarves,don't forget the scarves. Especially when eating in a restaurant
Old Dec 12th 2021, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

And leave your coat on!

24C for us this afternoon, lovely to work outside in the garden, although "glowed" a little.

And no wind - bliss.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your responses.
Yes today has been fabulous , The car says 20c and without a breath of wind it has been a glorious t-shirt day. And that is my point ....some great weather here in Portugal, spoiled by cool wind.
I was hoping that someone would say that the north wind dies out by the time it reaches mid Alentejo or that the south east Algarve receives a mild air from Africa but in reality "Portugal is a cold country with a hot sun " sums it up well.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

We lived in Fuzeta for ten years and I really can't remember it being that windy. We loved it, it then the condominiums started, as well as all day English breakfasts and more tourists and loud, huge music, every night from June to August, tempting the tourists, so we left.

Even some of our Portuguese friends got so fed up with it, they moved further inland.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the West coast; it's windy here.
70% of the time, the wind is north-west.
It almost never gets too hot in summer, and winter is cool but not too cold.
I have a warm jacket in my cupboard, it's been there for 5 years.

The problem we have is drought, it's barely rained in the last 3 years.
Sure, the warm sunshine is pleasant, but I'd be very happy for a few weeks of solid hard rain.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk
From which direction does the wind come from in your area and is it a mild or cool wind.
Further to a thread last week on the winds in south west Algarve , I would like to know more about the winds in your area because here in Tomar I have been disappointed in how cool it feels, not just now ( 16c but with a coat on ) but also this June when the temperature was in the high 20s but too cold to sunbathe or swim because of the NORTH wind.
That's disappointing to read as we are thinking of looking in Tomar to live. I'm not too worried about the winter weather, but I would llike a bit of heat in summer. Went to Monchique yesterday, clear blue sky, no wind and warm. Lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.