Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

who regrets selling up for portugal

who regrets selling up for portugal

Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:47 pm
Banned

alentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to all
Default who regrets selling up for portugal

im wondering how many people made the move and wished they had not and how long it took to admit it too themselves
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:37 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice
Default Re: who regrets selling up for portugal

Almost 3 years and not a single regret and can not think of why anyone would have any regrets. Great weather, people, climate, houses, prices, new pals, food, wine, beaches, sea, lakes etc etc etc

Only people I know who have any interest in a visit back to UK is to see grandkids (this is mostly the Grandmum's that feel this pull and does not apply to all of them - as a summer holiday in the sun is great for kids and a good swop for a visit bk to UK)

Go for it! It may be like starting your own business best done ASAP and being as young as poss is great!

Forgot - my comments are on retirement to the sun NOT on trying to find work which is so not easy and people who need jobs do go back to the UK.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Paul Andre will become famous soon enoughPaul Andre will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by alentejo joe
im wondering how many people made the move and wished they had not and how long it took to admit it too themselves
Count me in.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:23 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

relative newbie, only been here 8 months but haven,t felt the need to go back once during that time.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:43 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Aww Joe,are you not happy?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:01 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

So far it exceeds our expectation even if we have had to tighten our belts a tad as a result of the deteriorating exchange rate. But we can still afford the essentials such as wine, food, wine and more wine.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:54 am
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a new house near Vilamoura and hope to be out by March Its bloody freezing over here and its rained non stop for months we can't wait!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by max0603
Just bought a new house near Vilamoura and hope to be out by March Its bloody freezing over here and its rained non stop for months we can't wait!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: who regrets selling up for portugal

Been here 10 months now and I have loved it from day 1, it has taken my wife longer to settle but she is getting there slowly.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here a little over a year. Have fleeting moments when I wish we were back in the UK, usually as a result of language issues which prevent me communicating either formally (e.g. bl**dy car matriculation ) or informally (e.g. local bars and restaurants ).

And when my end-of-year electricity bill came in I briefly longed for our old gas central heating which kept me twice as warm at half the price

And when I look at the price of cars here versus on autotrader.co.uk and suddenly the UK looks cheap

And I second Troggo's remarks above about the Euro going South and add that interest rates here are soaring, neither of which are good news .

But then my wife (who goes over quite often because of grandchildren as mentioned above) calls me from a rain-soaked traffic jam on the M4 and I realise we made the right decision.

And she goes out to the pub for lunch with the kids and it costs nearly £100; my lunch that day cost €18 and lasted twice as long; and I realise we made the right decision.

And I look at the weather in the UK from my laptop by the pool and I realise we made the right decision.

And I hear about the kids in the UK being killed by knives and guns for no real reason in the cities; I look at them here showing off their noisy bikes and quad-bikes to the girls with questionable fashion tastes and I realise we made the right decision.

And when Gordon let's-screw-the-middle-classes-a-bit-more Brown got to No.10 I realise we made the right decision.

And . . . And . . . And . . .

Is it easy moving over? No Are we as well off as we thought we would be? No Is my liver regretting the move? Probably

Will I go back? NO I even slightly regret the births, deaths and marriages that oblige me to give money to British Airways but have kept it to 4 days in the last 400 so that's not so bad.

Like Chopps, it's taken my wife much longer to settle and she's struggling even more with the language (and some other challenges that were thrown at us), but we're here with no plans to return.

Cripes - I feel a tear coming on . . .
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:18 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

me too, come on stiff upper lip old boy
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:57 pm
Banned

alentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to all
Smile Re: who regrets selling up for portugal

grc thats the sort of honest reply i needed. i work in tulse hill nr brixton and cannot find a reason for teenagers killing each other.im in the construction industry and teach aprentices my last one was from gahna and he cant belive it either but he says in his country they keep pitbulls to protect there property from robbery if he has moved here then this sounds like the right move
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Don`t know about you lot in PT, but the only regret I have is not doing it sooner than I did. ,-)
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Don`t know about you lot in PT, but the only regret I have is not doing it sooner than I did. ,-)
I did it at 44 bloody brilliant!!!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:37 am
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
I did it at 44 bloody brilliant!!!
And I'm still in my thirties! Sorry I Forgot I turned 40 last year.

Last edited by max0603; Jan 16th 2008 at 12:40 am. Reason: Late night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.