Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Where to move in Portugal.. forest fire risk? Any info greatly received

Where to move in Portugal.. forest fire risk? Any info greatly received

Old May 29th 2018, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Caroline1104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to move in Portugal.. forest fire risk? Any info greatly received

Hi, completely new, looking at sustainable living in Portugal to leave the rat race of Britain. Loving the idea of Portugal but the mother in law is adamant forest fires will consume our new property and we'll be left with nothing. Anybody that can help with any information of where is best to set up home? We have found a property in enxames plus numerous other properties near coimbra. Feeling like it is a dream more than anything at the moment backwards and forwards with let's go and then oh no let's not go. First fires are my mother in laws main concern, seems that there are a lot of properties on the market... is everyone leaving Portugal because of this? Is it a risk worth taking or would you look at another country had you a chance.
Old May 29th 2018, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move in Portugal.. forest fire risk? Any info greatly received

Have you ever been to Portugal? If not, why not take a holiday here? Hire a car and tour the country to see for yourself.
Old May 29th 2018, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Where to move in Portugal.. forest fire risk? Any info greatly received

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Have you ever been to Portugal? If not, why not take a holiday here? Hire a car and tour the country to see for yourself.
not as yet, we're planning to get over soon, we run a event business in U.K. and our season is in full swing so can't get away at the moment. I'm just viewing online and if I found somewhere suitable we'd pop over for a weekend. Just testing the waters with what other people residing there think at the mo. We're still very much in the early stages of just looking online. Thanks for the advice though! 😀
Old May 29th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much about forest fires unless you are planning on living in or close to a forest. Not all areas of Portugal suffer from the problem. Choose an area to explore for houses, let the forum know, and some expat will be able to respond with their experience. We are well dispersed around the country.

Last edited by BillBullock; May 29th 2018 at 1:01 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really about regions but rather about specific location & you (and Mum in Law) might like to spend some time looking at portugalwildfires.com where you'll find lots of accurate & detailed information on the subject.
Old May 29th 2018, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

For sure! I will check all of this out, I'm trawling every site possible to gain knowledge. Thanks for everyone's input! Much appreciated! 😀
Old May 29th 2018, 4:08 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The Algarve has had some pretty big fires in recent years but I do not believe that a single property has been lost or severely damaged.
Most fires a re either on scrubland and dealt with very quickly or in remote forest areas , not areas with significant numbers of properties..
Old May 29th 2018, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline1104
Hi, completely new, looking at sustainable living in Portugal to leave the rat race of Britain. Loving the idea of Portugal but the mother in law is adamant forest fires will consume our new property and we'll be left with nothing. Anybody that can help with any information of where is best to set up home? We have found a property in enxames plus numerous other properties near coimbra. Feeling like it is a dream more than anything at the moment backwards and forwards with let's go and then oh no let's not go. First fires are my mother in laws main concern, seems that there are a lot of properties on the market... is everyone leaving Portugal because of this? Is it a risk worth taking or would you look at another country had you a chance.
Lots of basic questions need to be addressed first. Caroline... Do you need to work when you come o Portugal ? Do you have children who need to go to school ? Do you have any specific medical needs ?.Do you need to be near a large town? How do you feel about learning a foreign language.? Whilst the Algarve has many who speak English,the firth north and the more rural you go the less it will be spoken.. So you see Forest fires may be the least of your worries.!!

Highly recommend that you start by taking Bill's advice and visit the country.....
Old May 29th 2018, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Forests are lovely and green, cool in summer, etc. But if you're worried about forest fires, the solution is simple; don't but a home in, or abutting, a forest.
We rejected some otherwise nice properties due to fire risk, and that was 10 years ago.
This has been going on for a while.

Lots of people still live in forested areas, I hope they'll all be ok.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Furfanus Postumus is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where to move in Portugal.. forest fire risk? Any info greatly received

Originally Posted by Caroline1104
Is it a risk worth taking or would you look at another country had you a chance.
By learning about these fires, their causes, case studies, and studying maps of recent outbreak areas, you can minimise any risk. Avoid forest areas, especially eucalyptus and pine. Follow the new land cleaning regulations. Don't buy a wooden house. Seems like anywhere with a nice climate is susceptible, Greece, Spain, Sicily, Corsica, etc., so it's either take a small risk or go and live in sunny Scotland! And read the excellent portugalwildfires.com written I believe by one of our members mfesharne, I think, thank you sir!

Last edited by Furfanus Postumus; Jun 1st 2018 at 1:31 am. Reason: Expand
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Furfanus Postumus
By learning about these fires, their causes, case studies, and studying maps of recent outbreak areas, you can minimise any risk. Avoid forest areas, especially eucalyptus and pine. Follow the new land cleaning regulations. Don't buy a wooden house. Seems like anywhere with a nice climate is susceptible, Greece, Spain, Sicily, Corsica, etc., so it's either take a small risk or go and live in sunny Scotland! And read the excellent portugalwildfires.com written I believe by one of our members mfesharne, I think, thank you sir!
Thanks for those kind words but all thanks should go to my better half Susan who took my pig's ear of an idea & turned it into a silk purse.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

I live in an area that is very wooded and there are trees in all directions. Last year I must admit I was amused by my neighbours. One evening the sky was very darkened with smoke and you could smell the smoke easily so I was somewhat concerned as the nearest fire was at 4km away. Almost opposite me I could hear my neighbours speaking with visiting friends and I heard the word fogo mentioned several times. The amusing part was they were all sitting around drinking wine and enjoying the evening and not getting into a flap.

The fires can be bad and life is lost but look at it another way. In the UK, you are more likely to be mugged, stabbed, shot, run over by a bus or lorry or kill yourself in a motoring accident than killed my fire in Portugal. I for one love it here and no fire risk is going to make me move. I take the correct precautions and keep my land clear according to the law. On the other side of the coin is that where I am, there is little escape from fire. Am I worried, no. I'm happy here and that's the most important thing to me.

Last edited by Ash Jez; Jun 6th 2018 at 10:02 pm.