Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Portugal? - My List

Where to live in Portugal? - My List

Old May 26th 2016, 11:42 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Portugal? - My List

For those ex-pats to be the type of people who would interested in therapy /coaching/ personal development - for individuals, couples, groups.

I'm not usually negative but I'm gonna be negative on this idea. There is NO money to be made here in Portugal from the business ideas you suggested, period nadda, no-way Jose...none.

Come with enough money to support yourself completely independent of 'earning' any income in Portugal. it's that simple. No big bladdy-bladdy talk. This is a poor country and wages run between 4.50- 8.00 per hour... at the most.

The expat community is fickle and surges and wanes with the seasons and those of us who live here either are rich-rich and have their own resources for "couples-therapy" or other "counselling" type services OR at the other end of the financial scale they are frugal and take 'fresh-air' walks, drink wine in the sunshine or some such things for emotional rejuvenation.
We all came here to live a better life and most of us are happy and content no matter the small discomforts here and there.
Don't come here expecting to earn an income from self-employment. Have enough money in reserves to live couple of years at least! That's what I think. Nevertheless Good Luck,
Old May 27th 2016, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Without meaning to be rude, an awful lot of Brits come to Portugal with the idea of starting or translocating an existing business in the fields of things like self help, personal development, natural cures, back to the earth, aromatherapy, reiki & yurting etc etc and/or pursuing the veggie/live off the land lifestyle and the vast majority of them fail dismally and are forced to return home with their tails between their legs.

Quite honestly the Portuguese don't generally go in for that kind of thing (most think it barking bloody mad) and most ex pats are either old enough to not be interested or young enough not to have the money for it.

My advice would be to do an awful lot of market research before you make the decision to come and give it a go.......... but if you do, I wish you all the luck in the world with it.
It is not only the Portuguese that think it; barking bloody mad!
Old May 27th 2016, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogard
It is not only the Portuguese that think it; barking bloody mad!
Ja but I'm helluva diplomatic hey? lol!
Old May 27th 2016, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

These sorts of therapy tend to be language dependent; so you would have a captive client base, but a very small one. Far too small I think.
I hate to agree with the negative views above, but it's also terribly painful to watch one happy optimist after another arrive and sink their savings into ventures that fail.
Not everyone fails; some people are here making a living. But most do go broke and have to leave with shattered dreams and finances.
So do your research, and if you do decide to go ahead I add my best wishes for your success!
Old May 27th 2016, 11:49 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

To add to your considerations - you say you have an existing online business. Well here, you would be liable to declare any earnings for those too - and your business will be subject to Portuguese rules and requirements. Anything else risks sanction.

A quick look around the posts here will show you that the bureaucracy can suck the life out of you - so if you don't speak Portuguese, you'll need to find someone who can in order to comply with all the requirements and be prepared to revisit any qualifications, etc., even to use them to attract ex-UK clients.

None of this is impossible - but you need to consider carefully before opting to transfer to another country - Portugal isn't the UK with more sun.
Old May 28th 2016, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Ja but I'm helluva diplomatic hey? lol!
Indeed you are.