Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Where to Live Near Lisbon?

Where to Live Near Lisbon?

Old Jan 5th 2020, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Cortiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to Live Near Lisbon?

My wife and I are planning a trip for next month, and are trying to zero in on possible areas to live. We'd like to be somewhere relatively quiet though close to Lisbon, and cheaper. We'll be living on a limited budget, but will be buying a house or flat so we won't have to throw away money on rent. We won't be employed so daily commuting is not an issue. Public transport to the city is a big plus, though. We'd also like it to be a place that has character, and not a lot of modern sprawl. Maybe a leafy suburb on the outskirts, though an train ride of an hour or so would also be okay.

Sintra seems like it would be ideal in some ways, with easy access to Lisbon as well as beaches, though property in the central historic area seems very expensive, and it's perhaps too touristy in summer. If memory serves, much of the area between Lisbon and Sintra is built up with council estates.

Any advice, opinions, and experience appreciated!

Old Jan 5th 2020, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Live Near Lisbon?

I would forget Linha da Sintra & Linha da Cascais if you are on a budget.

Prices have risen sharply over the past few years.

We moved up from the Algarve to the Lisbon area 2 years ago and although we were cash buyers and had a goodly sum the price & quality of most houses for sale was seriously problematic.

As regards Apartments you might have more luck.

We ended up near Torres Vedras. There are excellent frequent direct bus services for the Town itself to Lisbon. By car, (A8 motorway) it's 30 minutes from Lisbon Airport.

There also regular buses services along the N8 (old road) from Torres Vedras to Lisbon via Malveira.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

You could look inland along the Tejo. Property is cheaper here. We are about 45 mins from Lisbon and about 25 mins from Santarem
Old Jan 5th 2020, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with that.

However, be aware that in summer that region is considerably hotter than Cascais, Sintra & the higher areas like Mafra, Ericeira, Torres Vedras.

Train Services are however good!
Old Jan 5th 2020, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Where to Live Near Lisbon?

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
I would agree with that.

However, be aware that in summer that region is considerably hotter than Cascais, Sintra & the higher areas like Mafra, Ericeira, Torres Vedras.

Train Services are however good!
So what would be a good temperate area that is also affordable in the Lisbon inland & northwards areas??
Old Jan 5th 2020, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Torres Vedras, Malveira Livramento-Azueira, Bombarral.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cortiz is an unknown quantity at this point

@barlaventoexpert Thanks for that info. That's a shame about prices around there. Discussing things again today, we've essentially ruled out apartments. We just reminisced about all the loud neighbors and other issues we've had in flats, and really don't want to go back to that! Possibly a duplex or terraced house, though. We were really hoping to be on a train line rather than bus, but might check out Torres Vedras anyway. Also, may I ask why you left the Algarve for the Lisbon area? We're also considering the area around Lagos. I've never been there, though have been to Lisbon and northwards a good few times.

@toots sweet - what towns would you recommend? And how is train access in that area? We're not too concerned about heat, as we've been living in the desert in the US for the past few years.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Santarem has a station with daily parking nearby.Will take you into Lisbon(may need to change at Vila Franca da Xira). Buses are regular.We have a bus station near our local town for access to Lisbon and other local towns. Depending on your budget(?) there are plenty of properties in the Santarem area within about 30 mins by car. We have the Tejo 5kms down the road for river beaches and bathing. Properties with a bit of updating with a bit of land can be quite cheap. Summer can be hot,but not a lot hotter than other areas.We spend those months back in the UK. Today the sun is shining down with blue skies.In fact it's warmer outside than in! Plenty of supermarkets in the towns. Santarem has plenty of supermarkets,restaurants,good views across the river to the countryside and its fair share of history if you want that. We can get to Evora and beyond in about 90 mins.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Where to Live Near Lisbon?

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Santarem has a station with daily parking nearby.Will take you into Lisbon(may need to change at Vila Franca da Xira). Buses are regular.We have a bus station near our local town for access to Lisbon and other local towns. Depending on your budget(?) there are plenty of properties in the Santarem area within about 30 mins by car. We have the Tejo 5kms down the road for river beaches and bathing. Properties with a bit of updating with a bit of land can be quite cheap. Summer can be hot,but not a lot hotter than other areas.We spend those months back in the UK. Today the sun is shining down with blue skies.In fact it's warmer outside than in! Plenty of supermarkets in the towns. Santarem has plenty of supermarkets,restaurants,good views across the river to the countryside and its fair share of history if you want that. We can get to Evora and beyond in about 90 mins.
Can you recommend any "local" estate agents because the likes of Remax always bump up their prices..........Also, l myself envisage coming over to do a property/area search maybe April/May & would appreciate any local help & guidance, is there any knowledgeable & English speaking local who'd assist me for a small fee that you know of?
Old Jan 7th 2020, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

WE didn't use one agent to show us properties as that is a waste of time. We did our homework by daily looking at properties online from different internet property sites and choosing which ones we wanted to view with different agents.We did end up by buying with a remax agent. Maybe don't just look at the local agents in the area you decide on.This agent was at an agency about 30 mins from the property we bought.He still visits for a chat whenever he is in the area. RE English speaking local..very little spoken round here. Probably only me and other half! Not as much spoken as in the tourist areas.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Where to Live Near Lisbon?

RE English speaking local..very little spoken round here. Probably only me and other half! Not as much spoken as in the tourist areas.
But to be honest, if you're both Welsh then there's only the Remax agent who speaks English!?!?!?!?!>>>>>>>>

Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ha! no... I have a portuguese speaking other half!
Old Jan 7th 2020, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Where to Live Near Lisbon?

Ha! no... I have a portuguese speaking other half!
Cool!
Old Jan 8th 2020, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cortiz
@barlaventoexpert Thanks for that info. That's a shame about prices around there. Discussing things again today, we've essentially ruled out apartments. We just reminisced about all the loud neighbors and other issues we've had in flats, and really don't want to go back to that! Possibly a duplex or terraced house, though. We were really hoping to be on a train line rather than bus, but might check out Torres Vedras anyway. Also, may I ask why you left the Algarve for the Lisbon area? We're also considering the area around Lagos. I've never been there, though have been to Lisbon and northwards a good few times.

@toots sweet - what towns would you recommend? And how is train access in that area? We're not too concerned about heat, as we've been living in the desert in the US for the past few years.
People usually don't consider the Algarve in the first place because prices are generally a lot higher all round for all types of properties. It's also a high tourist area, and that can put you off .However the plus side is that the weather is considerable better than in the North, throughout the year ,being often compared to a Californian climate. English is widely spoken if language might be a problem.There is a large mix of nationalities which appealed to people like me, who had lived as an ex-pat in the Netherlands for many years . I live in an area where my neighbours are permanent ( a plus in a tourist area ) and are a mix of Swiss,French,Swedish,Portuguese, Norwegian ,Dutch and English and thats just in one streetI have lived here for 10 yrs and altho I learned Dutch ( way back when ) in three years. I cannot master Portuguese ,rely heavily on my OH who speaks it pretty fluently now..It does matter these days as the Brits prepare to leave the EU. There is more of a 'push' by younger Portuguese these days for that language to be spoken. ( quite right too ) So you must be aware of that when choosing an area in a remote part of the country ( I think anyway ) are you prepared to learn the language ?Good luck with your search in any event. Another thought occurs.. How often do you wish to be in Lisbon ? It reminds me of friends who felt they needed to be near London ...and then found themselves in a bland suburb, and never visited the city more than once a year.!!
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
People usually don't consider the Algarve in the first place because prices are generally a lot higher all round for all types of properties. It's also a high tourist area, and that can put you off
You probably mean that people on a budget no longer consider the Algarve? If people didn't consider the Algarve in the first place, there would be no reason why property prices are so high
The biggest increases in the Lisbon metropolitan area came in the residential suburbs of Amadora, Sintra and Seixal, and the commuter city of Setubal. Similarly, the Porto suburbs of Maia and Vila Nova de Gaia saw huge rises, along with the cities of Braga and Guimaraes in the north. Speculation has also seen prices rise steeply in the Algarve, particularly in previously lesser-known holiday destinations such as Vila Real de Santo António and Silves. In 2018, house prices in Portugal overtook their pre-crisis high. The housing bubble is spread across the country, bringing with it a crisis in the cost of living for millions of Portuguese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.