Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What I LOVE about living in Portugal....and you?

What I LOVE about living in Portugal....and you?

Old Dec 17th 2015, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I LOVE about living in Portugal....and you?

I don't integrate; I'm a foreigner, an estrangeiro. I have been since I left the country of my birth when I was 10 years old.
I like the Portuguese people because I feel welcome as a foreigner here. I will never be Portuguese; I don't want to be, and I don't think most Portuguese want me to be either. I feel accepted as the immigrant I am.

And I don't care if people despise me for that; it's how I feel. If anyone wants to discriminate against me for my way of living my life, feel free.

Lazy? Sure! So what?
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:09 am
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

I love living here because, like liveaboard, I am accepted with kindness by most Portuguese people as someone who 'picked' their beautiful country out of ALL the countries on the planet, to live, to invest in & contribute my love-of- life, 'know-how', commerce, friendship and family. I (hope) my robust willingness to integrate into local society, learn the language, respect social mores and traditions is recognised. I really don't want to be instantly identified as an "expat" within a few years from now other then by my accent. I know this will take hard work (fun) and commitment (fun) on my part.
From experience living in other counties I'll always be a foreigner no matter how many years/ decades I live in that country. How can I be anything else? Not a bad thing just a fact.
But I'm such a simple girl that I'm thrilled to death every single time a checkout clerk or neighbour pause their work and (always with kindness versus irritation) correct my attempts to speak Portuguese. It gives me confidence to keep trying.
This is one of the reasons I love here.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 10:29 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
I love living here because, like liveaboard, I am accepted with kindness by most Portuguese people as someone who 'picked' their beautiful country out of ALL the countries on the planet, to live, to invest in & contribute my love-of- life, 'know-how', commerce, friendship and family. I (hope) my robust willingness to integrate into local society, learn the language, respect social mores and traditions is recognised. I really don't want to be instantly identified as an "expat" within a few years from now other then by my accent. I know this will take hard work (fun) and commitment (fun) on my part.
From experience living in other counties I'll always be a foreigner no matter how many years/ decades I live in that country. How can I be anything else? Not a bad thing just a fact.
But I'm such a simple girl that I'm thrilled to death every single time a checkout clerk or neighbour pause their work and (always with kindness versus irritation) correct my attempts to speak Portuguese. It gives me confidence to keep trying.
This is one of the reasons I love here.
What you describe is the kind of integration I mean - a respect for the host country and people, rather than treating them as something to be endured.

The Portuguese are indeed a friendly and welcoming people - and in response I think they are entitled to a little effort from me as well, so that the "estrangeiro" can at least share their country on their terms and learn the many things they can teach me - and sometimes surprise them by the things I have learned.

The Portuguese are also a very tolerant people and I don't want to abuse that. However, if someone wants to isolate themselves, so be it - just pull up the blankets and don't complain if things turn out badly. I never want to live in a country where I fear for my life because I seem to be privileged.

I too will never change my nationality, but I do stifle a smile when, very occasionally, someone presumes that I am a native.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Hopefully, life in Portugal will never resemble the situation elsewhere. However, if we own property and live here, we should still be aware that we are 'guests' and, in general, have a standard of living far better than that of our hosts. So, we should ensure that we are not seen as a visible minority with an 'attitude of superiority' and no intention to integrate - it's in our own best interests.

As has been said, the Portuguese are an open and welcoming people - but they also have their own culture and history, and as 'guests' we should be aware of this otherwise we risk become a parasitic community who are not seen to contribute anything to society at large. We may be largely retired or self-financing, but this isn't just a holiday home regardless of the financial outlay - there are other 'costs' that must be paid.

Anyone can learn to speak a few words of Portuguese, anyone can be polite enough to greet their neighbours in their own language and anyone can try to absorb something of the local way of life into their own - be that food, music, literature or anything else. I think we all know many 'guests' who don't make the effort to do any of these things .... and worse, delight in pointing out the (negative) differences between things here and 'at home'. Unfortunately, such attitudes don't just impact them, but the community at large - meaning that the rest of us have to redouble our efforts.

I have the advantage of speaking enough Portuguese to converse with people, loving history (and if you have never visited the frontier country of the Alto Alentejo, plan it now!) and also enjoying the seafood, porco preto and great wines of this country. Long may it continue!

Totally agree macliam It never occurred to me when living in NL that I wouldn't learn the language ,follow some of the customs ,talk to my neighbours etc etc. I cannot understand in fact why so many of the British ex-pats (and it is of course predominatley the largest ex-pat group) living here are happy not to participate in any Portuguese life. I well remember attending a book club during my first year here.Discussing a book involving Japanese ex-pats interred in the USA during WW2 .There were some negative comments about the book .I expressed an empathy with their plight to one of the ladies, who had lived in the Algarve for 35 yrs.in terms of 'well imagine you as an ex-pat Brit living here so long and then suddenly becoming an undesirable alien and being locked up in a POW camp. She was genuinely shocked,not at that thought ,but at being described as an 'ex-pat' !She had lead a life similar to that of a generation of Brits in India.Didn't speak a word of Portuguese,obviously would prefer to keep it that way. Hopefully this attitude is a thing of the past with new' estrangeiros' having the curtesy to learn the language of the land they live in
Old Dec 19th 2015, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Much is said about learning the language and absorbing the culture; that's good, but I rarely hear anyone mention benefits going the other way.
Having lived in countries where I'm not native for most of my life, I've realized that the wealth I can share is mostly my English. Some other ideas and bits of culture too of course.
It's difficult to know when to correct someone's English. I used to keep my mouth shut, afraid of offending people. But then a good Dutch friend of mine got really angry with me, because I'd never bothered to correct a language error of his. He was then humiliated in a business meeting.
Sharing knowledge, language, and culture goes both ways.

That last bit made me smile Live- The Dutch are super protective of their language,heaven forbid that you mangle it.Can't count the number of times I was made to repeat a word someone thought I had said wrongly. Even at receptions ,business dinners etc .Going far beyond manners on one occasion .A very loud(arrogant) Dutch woman made me repeat the word snow! (sneuw) at least eight times. On the ninth? (while she was looking smug) I just said 'balls' (ballen) and everyone cracked up.
They can carry that mega confidence a tad too far at times, My OH was once corrected on his use of the word 'rear' as in rear of the building. It was the 'backside' his Dutch colleague told him.confidently . when he - a Brit and thus native English speaker ,protested .He was put firmly in his place by being told that the colleague had taken a course in English at University. so he knew he was right ..aaaghh.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:15 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

I really love Porco Preto. I never tasted it before I came to Portugal. It's delicious.

And after several years living on a farm in The Provence and brutally suffering through every shopping experience because (nearly) all the clerks were rude to me because my French was poor. Yes, I tried to use my little dictionary and was clearly trying to speak the language but to no avail. I remember it like a bad toothache.

Today, I was completely thrilled as I was shopping for a dinner party when not one but four different shop clerks in separate sections of JUMBO went out of their way to help me find things that I couldn't Google Translate on my phone...like cornstarch. Their genuine kindness made my day!
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I really love Porco Preto. I never tasted it before I came to Portugal. It's delicious.

And after several years living on a farm in The Provence and brutally suffering through every shopping experience because (nearly) all the clerks were rude to me because my French was poor. Yes, I tried to use my little dictionary and was clearly trying to speak the language but to no avail. I remember it like a bad toothache.

Today, I was completely thrilled as I was shopping for a dinner party when not one but four different shop clerks in separate sections of JUMBO went out of their way to help me find things that I couldn't Google Translate on my phone...like cornstarch. Their genuine kindness made my day!
Have you tried javali/wild boar? - Damn but it's good!
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:47 pm
Smokn Joy

Not here I've not tasted it, but my farm in France butted up against 1,200ha of wild land and my closest neighbour was 2km away. I knew the hunters were accustomed to hunting 'through' my land. So, I made a deal with them, no hunting before dawn....and they can FOLLOW any beast through my land as long as they brought be some meat now and then. Every so often, I'd hear gunshots and dogs howling on the trail...(always just at pre-dawn lavender light)....then I'd hear a horn honking and opening my window I'd look down and see the ubiquitous white van with four single elderly misogynists squished into the front seat; 8-10 dogs in the back and one hand hanging out of the passenger window holding a steaming clear plastic bag of hot bloody meat!
One of them spoke a bit if German and he'd call out "This is for you. It was alive minutes ago!" Fresh wild boar meat, my Gott! Wonderful. Then there was always a long expectant silence as these old codgers...hoped (and prayed) that I'd come down stairs and invite them in for cafe'. I'd always call the boys to come in, build a fire on the 300 year old kitchen counter 'fire pit' and make them thick black coffee. They drank it with a cup of sugar each and downed it like shots of whiskey. It became a ritual. Kill a wild boar and have a coffee with the American woman....funny. But I hated the big fat hairs on the meat. Sometimes they brought me a brace of rabbits or pheasant.... ...
well the short of it is; yes, I LOVE wild boar meat.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

did you ever slow spit roast it?

An absolute delight!
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:48 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings from the Capital do Porco Alentejano! Don't beat yourself up for never having tried Porco Preto before, Munsterfan - I'm not sure it's well-known outside Iberia apart from as ham or chouriço. I didn't know a pig had feathers either (plumas) . Unfortunately as with tapas/petiscos, the Spanish dominate the market outside Portugal even though most "Jamon Iberico" would oink in Portuguese!

As for Javali, well it's horses for courses, I suppose (health watchers look away now!- and I speak as a consumer, not a cook....)
- Porco Preto is excellent because of the high and well-distributed fat content - it gives flavour and leaves the meat tender, particularly when grilled.
- Javali is wild, therefore far leaner. It has a strong flavour (being game) but normally seems to require slower cooking to break down the muscle.

Personally, I prefer the grill...... along with a good drop of "tintol"! Saúde

Last edited by macliam; Dec 19th 2015 at 8:50 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam
Greetings from the Capital do Porco Alentejano! Don't beat yourself up for never having tried Porco Preto before, Munsterfan - I'm not sure it's well-known outside Iberia apart from as ham or chouriço. I didn't know a pig had feathers either (plumas) . Unfortunately as with tapas/petiscos, the Spanish dominate the market outside Portugal even though most "Jamon Iberico" would oink in Portuguese!
http://cms.cm-ourique.pt.vf-host.com...lentejanos.jpg
As for Javali, well it's horses for courses, I suppose (health watchers look away now!- and I speak as a consumer, not a cook....)
- Porco Preto is excellent because of the high and well-distributed fat content - it gives flavour and leaves the meat tender, particularly when grilled.
- Javali is wild, therefore far leaner. It has a strong flavour (being game) but normally seems to require slower cooking to break down the muscle.

Personally, I prefer the grill...... along with a good drop of "tintol"! Saúde
Love Porco Preto especially the 'fatijas'(s) that the butcher in Baptista cuts for me. A quick zap on the BBQ and you have the most succulent delicious pieces of meat. You could make 'bifanas' with them,but I prefer them with a simple salad and maybe a few sweet potato chips yummy
Old Dec 20th 2015, 6:03 am
Smokn Joy

Correction I've eaten lots of Porco Preto since we arrived here in Portugal just not wild boar yet. In France other than a small gas hob. I had only two methods of cooking: the open corner counter-top fire pit (complete with hooks kinda up the chimney) in the kitchen and the very old stone BBQ/Fire pit outside... so ALL my food (meat) was cooked over olive and oak wood fires. Amazingly delicious. Will be cooking the same way here in Loule.

December/January is the butchering season so I'm in negotiations for a cut-up 'side-o-pork' to put in the freezer for the coming year, it's Porco Preto pig but am still looking for the best price per kilo.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Correction I've eaten lots of Porco Preto since we arrived here in Portugal just not wild boar yet. In France other than a small gas hob. I had only two methods of cooking: the open corner counter-top fire pit (complete with hooks kinda up the chimney) in the kitchen and the very old stone BBQ/Fire pit outside... so ALL my food (meat) was cooked over olive and oak wood fires. Amazingly delicious. Will be cooking the same way here in Loule.

December/January is the butchering season so I'm in negotiations for a cut-up 'side-o-pork' to put in the freezer for the coming year, it's Porco Preto pig but am still looking for the best price per kilo.

These latest posts have perked my appetite .Invited up the Monchique mountain today to a well known Portuguese restaurant famous for it's 'wild' menu at this time of year.I love stews so it will be the wild boar one for me again today (a little revenge for the little b****s digging up my golf course )

You cook in the same way as my niece in Quimper Munster. Hot work but delicious I'm sure
Old Dec 20th 2015, 8:27 am
Smokn Joy

Come visit me GeniB....let's 'break bread' together sometime in the New Year, yes? Why not? bring family/dog, One interesting part of the description of the Mediterranean Diet is: neighbours, family, friends co-workers all eating together, talking, sharing news and such. Dunno just thought that was interesting.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 9:00 am
Smokn Joy

I love living in Portugal because I can live MUCH better on my pension then anywhere else in Western Europe or the USA and it's warm, dry, friendly and peaceful. And yes I have even become accustomed to the cacophony of barking dogs when they get excited in the night (albeit they are in the distance)....