Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What to bring to biometric card appointment if your 5-year residency ended

What to bring to biometric card appointment if your 5-year residency ended

Old Oct 19th 2022, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring to biometric card appointment if your 5-year residency ended

Originally Posted by Red Eric
For those in a position to apply for the permanent resident document, I would expect them to go through the same process as applies to EU citizens as described on the SEF site. Again, minimal requirements - I don't recall even having to provide proof of means (not mentioned on that link and which is a lower financial requirement for EU than for non EU citizens and often satisfied by statement as opposed to actual proof) although it would be best to have that to hand for those in that situation.
Problem is, whatever our residence status, temporary or permanent, we're still third country citizens and treated as such. For those here before Brexit, we're of course afforded some safeguards under the withdrawal agreement which newcomers/other nationalities don't have. I was surprised yesterday though when looking at the guy's list of documents needed to apply for his change to permanent, it was the same list I was given years ago well before B. When I applied for permanent, it was as a citizen's family member and although I had prepared spreadsheet of financial status, it was waived aside and the whole (very friendly) interview was treated as just a formality.

Hearing people's experiences of interaction with officialdom here, it has ceased to surprise me how different document requirements can be, from one location to another and then there's the luck of the draw whether a sympathetic and friendly official as I had again yesterday or, an absolute jobsworth. For those already in the system or with proof they were here before Brexit, I don't think they need to worry.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring to biometric card appointment if your 5-year residency ended

I have had my biometric appointment and the lady entered into the system that the start of my residency in Portugal was as written on my original CRUE, 2016. But now when I check my details on Brexit.sef.pt it gives the date for my start of residency as the date of my biometric appointment. Does anyone know if this is normal? And whether it could cause me any difficulty in future? I have not received my card yet. Trying to ring the SEF hotline but it is constantly engaged.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Ferretofthemata is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
I have had my biometric appointment and the lady entered into the system that the start of my residency in Portugal was as written on my original CRUE, 2016. But now when I check my details on Brexit.sef.pt it gives the date for my start of residency as the date of my biometric appointment. Does anyone know if this is normal? And whether it could cause me any difficulty in future? I have not received my card yet. Trying to ring the SEF hotline but it is constantly engaged.
Was that renewing your temporary residency? Or was it a permanent one? Are you able to auto-renew it online now you have the card?
Old Oct 20th 2022, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
The second quote in RedEric's post #4 explains this.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
The second quote in RedEric's post #4 explains this.
Thank you. I have read post #4 but as I have been resident since 2016 - 6 years - I’m not understanding how it applies to me. I didn’t apply for permanent residency in after April 2021 (5 years) because (I’m sure) the guidance was that we U.K. nationals covered by the WA now had to apply for the new card instead, and not the previous process for permanent residency.
And I’m not sure how this answers my confusion about my start of residency date on the Brexit.sef.pt now says the date of the biometric appointment when I have been resident since April 2016.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Ferretofthemata is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info on this thread.

It turns out another thing you need to bring is a lot of patience, since I drove one hour to my appointment today, and was told by an EDP agent that the machine was broken, the SEF person had gone to lunch, and I should leave my phone number, and they'll call me to reschedule for another day. And I got a piece of paper telling me to call that line that's always engaged if I have any questions.

I'm taking bets on whether they call or not. Any takers?
Old Oct 25th 2022, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point

This is typical Portuguese organisation. They decide to bring in a new residency scheme with out having the resources for some applicants to comply with. I have tried making an appointment online and calling my local SEF office (nobody answering the phone), although my original card does not run out till early next year I have received an e-mail. They need more staff and telephone lines.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:22 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lentisc
I have tried making an appointment online and calling my local SEF office (nobody answering the phone), although my original card does not run out till early next year I have received an e-mail.
You've got the email inviting you to make an appointment on the portal within 10 days?