Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What are the bad things about Portugal ?

What are the bad things about Portugal ?

Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:15 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are the bad things about Portugal ?

No internet for hours last night,whilst they updated Sapo.
Water off AGAIN
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:07 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
No internet for hours last night,whilst they updated Sapo.
Water off AGAIN
That's what you get for living in the sticks.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Algarveaddick is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do the Portuguese insist on pushing both the up and down button when calling a lift, thereby making the progress even slower?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

VonRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Inability to get electricity connected. Does anyone know how long it takes to get electricity connected once the poles are up
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:52 pm
Banned

lena green is an unknown quantity at this point

....and what about the soddin` dogs barkin` all night, are the Portuguese deaf !
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

luckylucky has a brilliant futureluckylucky has a brilliant futureluckylucky has a brilliant futureluckylucky has a brilliant futureluckylucky has a brilliant futureluckylucky has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lena green
if you'd asked 'Does everyone get along well with each other in Portugal' your answers would be really wide and varied, as we certainly don't looking at the wide and varied comments before mine.
A bit harsh imo. Don't think there was any real acrimony in this thread. Just because people have different points of view does not necessarily mean they have a problem with each other. Some of my biggest debates and heavy discussions are with people I'd consider to be very good friends.

I do think for the most part Portuguese, British and other(which I am btw) expats get along fine btw.

....and what about the soddin` dogs barkin` all night, are the Portuguese deaf !
Lol - with yeah on that one, you do get more immune to it though.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Algarveaddick
Why do the Portuguese insist on pushing both the up and down button when calling a lift, thereby making the progress even slower?
right! don't knowing if the lift is up or down? and trying both buttons at once?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road

And why do the dogs bark all night? what the solution would be to shut the dogs up?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:17 am
Banned

lena green is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just moved into a sleepy little village (so I thought). The dogs start at 10.30 and continue all night barking at each other. No real reason, its what they do but it is ruining my sleep, running me down and causing great unhappiness.
My action this week will be to ensure my own dogs licence is up to date then go complain to the police.
I doubt the dog owners will have licences and no doubt a few will disapear rather than owners buy licences.
We'll see
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:32 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by local
right! don't knowing if the lift is up or down? and trying both buttons at once?
Yeah, me too. ;-))
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Yeah, and then the GNR come and shoot them, who does that punish? Had you not noticed barking dogs are a feature of Portuguese life? As soon as the winter comes they more or less stop, they may well lessen after full moon as well.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute

I have just moved into a sleepy little village (so I thought). The dogs start at 10.30 and continue all night barking at each other. No real reason, its what they do but it is ruining my sleep, running me down and causing great unhappiness.
My action this week will be to ensure my own dogs licence is up to date then go complain to the police.
I doubt the dog owners will have licences and no doubt a few will disapear rather than owners buy licences.
We'll see

You get used to them and you hardly notice the noise. Same with my neighbour's noisy cockerel. I can't see you would solve anything by reporting them - they'll just dislike you and I can't imagine that the dogs would disappear for good.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by local
LOL. Not just the portuguese. I work in large modern NHS hospital with 15 floors and I would say 75% of 'visitors' press both buttons, irrespective of which direction they want to go in - can take forever to get somewhere. most annoying are the fit looking ones who press it to go up/down one floor . .

Saz1
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

We'll see
I think you would be causing yourself a whole lot of trouble if you did this as whoever you report it to is probably the cousin/son/uncle/father of whoever the dogs belong to! You would never then be accepted into the community - remember you are moving into their space. You might own your property but it is their village and they've been there a lot longer. Everyone knows everyone else, it's not like the UK, and your name will be mud.

I know how irritating dogs can be, I stayed in a house once for 3 weeks and there were these 2 yappy dogs that didn't shut up all night and were out on the rooves (roofs?) and I couldn't understand how the owners put up with the noise, but like cockerels (my MIL has one of those hence we never stay at their house!) it is part of the life out there. Throw in motorbikes with the silencers removed for good measure and some noise from building sites and you're more or less covered!

The plot of land I want to buy has a sort of farm at the top of the road, I walked up there and the dogs started my god there were about 5 of them all chained up going mental. I decided to knock on a neighbours door and grilled them for half an hour about the noise in the area and whether the dogs were a nuisance but they confirmed that where they were situated you couldn't really hear them so I'm hoping it won't be an issue for us.

I'm not sure what the answer is really apart from get used to it as I don't really see any alternative.

Edited to say the police weren't interested in investigating the death of my BIL in a road accident so I doubt a complaint about noise from dogs will get you far anyway!

Which takes me on to my next point...the police in Portugal are absolute cr*p. I would never rely on one in a million years.

G

Last edited by Supremegermalene; Aug 18th 2008 at 10:10 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
I think you would be causing yourself a whole lot of trouble if you did this as whoever you report it to is probably the cousin/son/uncle/father of whoever the dogs belong to! You would never then be accepted into the community - remember you are moving into their space. You might own your property but it is their village and they've been there a lot longer. Everyone knows everyone else, it's not like the UK, and your name will be mud.

I know how irritating dogs can be, I stayed in a house once for 3 weeks and there were these 2 yappy dogs that didn't shut up all night and were out on the rooves (roofs?) and I couldn't understand how the owners put up with the noise, but like cockerels (my MIL has one of those hence we never stay at their house!) it is part of the life out there. Throw in motorbikes with the silencers removed for good measure and some noise from building sites and you're more or less covered!

The plot of land I want to buy has a sort of farm at the top of the road, I walked up there and the dogs started my god there were about 5 of them all chained up going mental. I decided to knock on a neighbours door and grilled them for half an hour about the noise in the area and whether the dogs were a nuisance but they confirmed that where they were situated you couldn't really hear them so I'm hoping it won't be an issue for us.

I'm not sure what the answer is really apart from get used to it as I don't really see any alternative.

Edited to say the police weren't interested in investigating the death of my BIL in a road accident so I doubt a complaint about noise from dogs will get you far anyway!

Which takes me on to my next point...the police in Portugal are absolute cr*p. I would never rely on one in a million years.

G
The upside is no one can approach our house without us knowing they are coming. The dogs start barking as they come up the lane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.