Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Wedding Certificate Translation

Wedding Certificate Translation

Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:06 am
Just Joined

john2nort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wedding Certificate Translation

Hello, my wife and I are moving to Portugal, just outside Lisbon, next month, April. I am from the UK and my wife is Thai. We were married in Thailand and that is registered in the UK. We have the wedding certificate translated into English and French; we reside in Brittany at the moment with my wife having a French Residency Card. Does the certificate, and incidentally, maybe the birth cert. also need to be translated into Portuguese to obtain the NIF and Residence Visa? Thank you for your assistance. John JOHN
Old Mar 11th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Wedding Certificate Translation

As you are a citizen of an Eu member state, your wife can live with you in any Eu country. She will not need a visa or translations. This is if SEF in your area can understand English. I was lucky here in the north where hardly anyone can speak English but my SEF officer could and accepted my papers in English.

Last edited by Ukkram; Mar 11th 2017 at 7:48 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Ukkram. I guess I now must find out if someone at the office at Setubal, just outside Lisbon, speaks and reads English. John
Old Mar 12th 2017, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john2nort
Thank you Ukkram. I guess I now must find out if someone at the office at Setubal, just outside Lisbon, speaks and reads English. John
SEF in Setubal did not require us to have any of our English language documents translated into Portuguese.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Well, Naaling, we are in Thailand at the moment and we are taking your experience as read. We will not travel to Bangkok to get Thai wedding certificate translated into Portuguese as we already have it translated into English and registered in the UK. Thank you! You have saved us a mammoth journey.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I am resident as non-EU spouse.
We were married here in Portugal, so the wedding certificate was ok; but they required a LOT of translated, notarized documents.
Expect some hurdles to cross before you're done.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Liveaboard. We will have to do more thinking before our departure early next month.