Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

vodafone data speeds & coverage list

vodafone data speeds & coverage list

Old Apr 12th 2021, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute
Post vodafone data speeds & coverage list

For mobile only.
https://www.vodafone.pt/content/dam/...tura-movel.pdf

I dont work for Vodafone or take/make money from them.

Last edited by EU.flag; Apr 12th 2021 at 4:08 pm. Reason: forgot to mention Mobile data only
Old Apr 13th 2021, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vodafone data speeds & coverage list

Thanks for that.

Old Apr 13th 2021, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting......according to that file it shows the town that I am closest to having speeds up to 225mbps.
It is a fact that my house is 1.5Kms ( 3 mins in the car) from the centre of that town and there is NO signal whatsoever here on Vodafone.
Its true that the speeds are very high after 2 mins in the car going to the town. So these need to be taken as read not implied.
One minute you are in on second later you are out of range.
UK coverage charts are in much more detail than just saying a town, down to street level.

The same goes for MEO which I use.
My signal switches from band 20, to bands 1,3 and 7 and it can do that without any movement of the phone all within the space of 20 seconds.
Only band 20 will get a proper signal, and even then 10mbps is good, again same distance from the town where it is Band 3 and a good solid signal.
But Band 20 might last for 5 mins before phone switches itself to band 3 or 7 or 1, with resultant no signal at all.
After long complaint telephone call to MEO Tech explaining what is happening, I got an email reply saying that according to their tests, there is good 4G coverage and that no action will therefore be taken.every one else on the Urbanisation has exactly the same problems (100 houses)...cheap skates as usual just dont care about customers just selling new phones so we can get even worse signal and support. Nos like Vodafone no signal. Worst part is that the phone signal is just as bead with often long periods with zero signal.....God knows what you do if an emergency arises. Landline according to neighbours is terrible as well, running on 30 year olf poles and wires. Needless to say no fibre or even any suggestion that might ever arrive.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point

I also would take these lists with a pinch of salt. I live not far from Paderne and very often have no bars showing with 4g and infact my phone indicates I have no reception at all at times, even without the holiday makers. Welcome to the 21st century.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Do you live, perchance, in a valley or in the shadow of a hill?
Old Apr 15th 2021, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

There are some apps that will show you signal data and cell direction.
Also, below is extract from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site .

"The maximum range of a mast (where it is not limited by interference with other masts nearby) depends on the same considerations. In any case the limiting factor is the ability of a low-powered personal cell phone to transmit back to the mast. As a rough guide, based on a tall mast and flat terrain, it may be possible to get between 50 and 70 km (30–45 miles). When the terrain is hilly, the maximum distance can vary from as little as 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) to 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) due to encroachment of intermediate objects into the wide center fresnel zone of the signal.[6] Depending on terrain and other circumstances, a GSM Tower can replace between 2 and 50 miles (80 km) of cabling for fixed wireless networks.[7] In addition, some technologies, such as GSM, have an additional absolute maximum range of 35 kilometres (22 mi), which is imposed by technical limitations. CDMA and IDEN have no such limit defined by timing."
Old Apr 15th 2021, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Google app on free Playstore for Android phones (needs location turned on)
Network Cell Info Lite
tells you everything about signal/band/ map to show which mast you are connected to etc etc.
Of course nothing you can do if you are in a bad area, but at least you will see why.
Other thing to note is that some phones are not capable of receiving all of the bandwidths used in Portugal.
So if you are in an area with good signal on Band 20 say, but your phone will not accept band 20 then it will find the best signal that your phone will accept, which mightg not be so good.
Portugal carriers use Band 1, 7 and band 20
A website that has a good coverage map for all mobile carriers is in Portugal is found here.
As far as I am concerned it is totally accurate with MEO Search does not seem to work for me at least, so just zoom in)
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/PT/-/81...107422&zoom=14