Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: SEF & Residency re-newal

UPDATE: SEF & Residency re-newal

Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPDATE: SEF & Residency re-newal

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm no expert on officialdom in the Algarve but would this have anything to do with the fact that the initial 5 year registration certificate is issued by the Câmara Municipal of the municipality in which you live and after that has expired the registration as a permanent resident is issued by the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, whose offices are different and generally regional?

Well--yes I guess that seems to be the case! It's all Double Dutch to me however as 'Citizen G' I would have thought that the clerical officers themselves would have known where to send us ? Apparently not. It is not as if this is an unusual procedure. We had to go through the same process in NL. However in that case it took place under the same jurisdiction and in the same building.Makes a tad more sense imo
Old Jun 9th 2016, 6:35 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why it should be double Dutch to anybody, Geni. I'm sure the matter of where you apply for which certificate has been discussed on quite a number of occasions on here - and if you look at this thread's title, you'll see it refers to SEF. It's also clearly stated on all the official websites. I'd have thought the difference between the SEF and the Câmara Municipal would be pretty obvious to somebody who's been resident 5 years.

The place of initial registration was changed from the SEF to the Câmara Municipal back in 2007, along with a change to some of the requirements, as part of a drive to reduce bureaucracy in dealings between citizens and government.

Perhaps you getting an appointment at the wrong place was something to do with you not making yourself clear, rather than the officer(s) concerned not knowing the process? Or maybe a misunderstanding due to language difficulties on one side or the other (or both)? Just a thought...
Old Jun 10th 2016, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I don't see why it should be double Dutch to anybody, Geni. I'm sure the matter of where you apply for which certificate has been discussed on quite a number of occasions on here - and if you look at this thread's title, you'll see it refers to SEF. It's also clearly stated on all the official websites. I'd have thought the difference between the SEF and the Câmara Municipal would be pretty obvious to somebody who's been resident 5 years.

The place of initial registration was changed from the SEF to the Câmara Municipal back in 2007, along with a change to some of the requirements, as part of a drive to reduce bureaucracy in dealings between citizens and government.

Perhaps you getting an appointment at the wrong place was something to do with you not making yourself clear, rather than the officer(s) concerned not knowing the process? Or maybe a misunderstanding due to language difficulties on one side or the other (or both)? Just a thought...
No point in arguing the toss here Eric.. OH s Portuguese is pretty good,so no problem with translation.Plus the officials at the Camara in Lagos speak perfect English if pressed.I also have a Google translate on my phone which comes in handy quite often.That the guy in the office was perplexed says something too.It is an obvious case of human error for sure.. whose? a matter of conjecture.Basically I was just stateing that the information we got was wrong.. so don't anyone else try it

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 10th 2016 at 2:11 am.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:59 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
That the guy in the office was perplexed says something too.
Probably just says that, as a rule, the Portuguese are over-polite and deferential towards foreigners.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the confusion arises because so few people need a renewal.
"What? 5 years and you're STILL here???"
Old Jun 12th 2016, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I suspect the confusion arises because so few people need a renewal.
"What? 5 years and you're STILL here???"

your right