Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: SEF & Residency re-newal

UPDATE: SEF & Residency re-newal

Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPDATE: SEF & Residency re-newal

[QUOTE=AliceCaroline;11936133]ah207: The document attesting that you have no criminal record, do you know if this covers just the time you have been living in Portugal or for all your life?
I hadn't really thought about it before but my husband some misdemeanours from when he was a lad (he grew up in a rough town).
Does anyone know how I can find out if this will affect his residency application? 

We are still in the UK, hoping to move over next year.[/QUOT

Good question. It didn't say on my report whether the period covered was just my 5 years already in Portugal, or my entire life. May need to clarify that with SEF. But at least the first 5 years you are here, there is no need for submit a police record.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogard
Liveaboard, Having exchanged your UK license, does you Pt license restrict you to cat. B only, i.e. you can only drive a car and as such are not allowed to tow a trailer?
I got the standard PT license, I can tow a trailer up to 750kg as long as the total GVW of trailer and tow car does not exceed 3,500kg.
I think.

I got ripped off for my motorcycle license though; I glanced at my new PT license and bikes are indicated, I didn't realize it's a catagory limited to 125cc.

I don't have a motorcycle anymore, but I find that irritating.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Liveaboard.
Old May 7th 2016, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Went for my appointment; they did not ask for a criminal record check.
They did want my last 3 years tax statements [as proof of support] and proof of habitation.
Contrary to the information on the website, I did need photos.

Bureaucracy is always a bore, and Portugal's is worst than most; but the SEF people were friendly and accommodating, much nicer to me than other immigration people I've known.

Now I have to wait for the decision and my new residency book; if I get refused, my opinion of them could change!

Last edited by liveaboard; May 7th 2016 at 11:29 am.
Old May 7th 2016, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Went for my appointment; they did not ask for a criminal record check.
They did want my last 3 years tax statements [as proof of support] and proof of habitation.
Contrary to the information on the website, I did need photos.

Bureaucracy is always a bore, and Portugal's is worst than most; but the SEF people were friendly and accommodating, much nicer to me than other immigration people I've known.

Now I have to wait for the decision and my new residency book; if I get refused, my opinion of them could change!
That's good to know Live.. OH has a meeting with AFPOP on the 27th so will bring this up again. We would still like to know if we can go to Lagos?
Old May 8th 2016, 8:27 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Liveaboard's a non-EU citizen though, aren't you liveaboard? Different rules apply.
Old May 8th 2016, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

You're correct Eric, I am; but my OH is an EU citizen, and went for the extension a couple of months ago.
The requirements were exactly the same. No one asked for a criminal record check.
Maybe it's because of where we live.
With 600 elderly residents and 10 GNR officers, we don't have that sort of thing around here.
Old May 8th 2016, 7:25 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get the criminal record check either - I'm putting it down to the fact that I've got an honest face.

I also didn't have to provide proof of income nor did they ask to see tax returns. That's an interesting one!
Old May 8th 2016, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - seems they ask for different documents from different people. Not sure if this is down to lack of having a universal, harmonised procedure across the country, or down to the individual who is dealing with the application - or perhaps they "profile" a person depending on age, background - and only ask for the criminal record if they think you "fit the bill." Probably all of the above! Anyway, I'm still waiting for my residency card - its been 3 weeks already. If my driver's licence exchange was anything to go by, I may have to wait a few months! ;-)
Old May 8th 2016, 9:36 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ah207
Interesting - seems they ask for different documents from different people. Not sure if this is down to lack of having a universal, harmonised procedure across the country, or down to the individual who is dealing with the application - or perhaps they "profile" a person depending on age, background - and only ask for the criminal record if they think you "fit the bill." Probably all of the above! Anyway, I'm still waiting for my residency card - its been 3 weeks already. If my driver's licence exchange was anything to go by, I may have to wait a few months! ;-)
I think it's purely down to a personal interpretation of "the rules" - like when they say you need a passport, or other form of identification and the person insists on both, not either. He's in charge, don't argue!

The rules probably say the "officer" should "assure themselves of" lack or criminal record, finances, etc. So some will insist on ultimate, irrefutable proof, others will use their judgement (rare) and others won't ask because they can't be bothered. Some will accept documents in English, others insist on a translation and other want a notarised translation complete with "selo branco". That's what makes the bureaucracy difficult - one person has to jump through hoops and the next has an easy ride.... It's one of the more annoying aspects to the culture

I have just been told that to have a pipe pass through a wall from a bottle outside the kitchen, I need a certified gas man - yet to put the bottle under the hob and connect it direct (which has to be more dangerous), I don't. Go figure....
Old May 29th 2016, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ah207
Are you sitting comfortably ? Because I don't really know where to begin!!

So yesterday I attended my long-awaited appointment in SEF to re-new my EU residents certificate. Its 5 years old - and after this period, there are no renewals - you have to apply for a permanent residency card. I took along with me everything - and I mean everything (including a letter from my employer, tax return statements, last 3 pay slips, marriage certificate etc etc). Based on experience here in this forum, you never know what they actually want to see - because it often differs considerably from what is listed on the SEF website.

Even with the appointment, it was an hour and 20 minute wait in a crowded, hot, noisy room - packed with people clutching mountains of paper and photocopies of things.

When it was my turn, the attendant wanted the following:

1. Passport
2. Photocopy of same (which I had brought along)
3. the ORIGINAL copy (NOT photocopy) of the soon-to-expire EU residency certificate. It was just blind luck that I took the original along just in case! They kept it.
4. Social security number and NIF number
5. Two passport sized photos
6. The completed application form

All was in order - 15 Euros the cost. BUT i wish I could say that was the end of it...because from nowhere, she made an additional request: A document attesting that I have no criminal record. At first I was confused, then I thought back to my parking ticket in Cambridge in 2004 - but other than that, I'm clean! But she explained that it was normal procedure to supply a criminal record for such applications. And that I need to get one from the only place that can issue one for foreigners - the campus de justica in Lisbon - WITHIN 10 days or else the application will be cancelled. She gave me the official request for the document to show the campus de justica.

This morning, I popped into the campus de justica - and luckily, didn't have to wait long for my turn. After a lengthy questioning session about my parents names (!), it was all done. Cost: A mere 9 Euros. But guess what ?? The document itself will only be ready on Wednesday and must be picked up by hand!

After that, I have to rush back to SEF again, this time press a different ticket button because I'm only dropping something - hand the document in - and 15 days after that, the residency card will be issued. That's assuming all is well and my name does not flag up as "persona non-grata" on some international warrant list.

Is it good that they are thorough with security ? Yes!! Is it nice to be given such a runaround ?? No!!!

I can just see myself in 30 years time, probably retired back in England somewhere, probably looking back on my time in Portugal. And sadly, I'll only remember these awful episodes with ticket machines, long waits, papers and photocopies and documents - and forget all the nice things.

An update on the update--- We have now arrived at the painful point of having to renew our residency .. Popped into Lagos Camara to see if indeed we didn't have to drive to Portimao to do it.. and yeah! no we don't..That was the good news. The more uncertain news is that her list was different yours and mcfearne's agghhhhh.

According to her-we don't have to provide passport photo's .I am assuming therefore it's like drivers licence and it's all computerised now
We also don't have to provide proof of none criminal record .
She never mentioned filling in application form ?

Looks like we will have to pop back in before the scheduled interview a week on Wednesday watch this space
Old May 29th 2016, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
An update on the update--- We have now arrived at the painful point of having to renew our residency .. Popped into Lagos Camara to see if indeed we didn't have to drive to Portimao to do it.. and yeah! no we don't..That was the good news. The more uncertain news is that her list was different yours and mcfearne's agghhhhh.

According to her-we don't have to provide passport photo's .I am assuming therefore it's like drivers licence and it's all computerised now
We also don't have to provide proof of none criminal record .
She never mentioned filling in application form ?

Looks like we will have to pop back in before the scheduled interview a week on Wednesday watch this space
Yep - very different indeed from the paperwork I had to provide. But it looks like it will be easier for you (fingers crossed!) - so do keep us updated. If nothing else, at least this thread will be useful to others who eventually need to renew their residency.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OKAAAYEEEEEYIKES!!! residents permit renewed

Appointment in Lagos was today at 10 am..Got to see the guy at 10 15.. so far so good.

However as soon as OH opened his mouth to say we had come to re-new our Residence licence. that old blank look appeared.. Oh dear me no!! If it's a RENEWAL of an already issued licence.. even if it was issued there in Lagos.. You have to go to Portimao ..agghhhh

Several expletives rose and died in our mouths. Even as we asked him slowly and carefully 'why then had his colleague (who had just left the room) told us we could come to his office? Ah... there he was flummoxed..no idea.Also no appology.. Then he brightened. Maybe she mean't we could make the APPOINTMENT here in Lagos? Our turn to look blank. Should he do that for us?. OK why not... Half an hour later he had managed to type out two appointments for OH and myself. As I wanted to chew glass and die in the 33deg heat by then we ommitted to ask if YD could be included.. Let her suffer. It was every man for himself. (Which as an aside takes me to my post on computers again.. Yer see in the 'olden days' I could have made those appointments in ten minutes flat via the telephone. So tell me again how computers are making my life easier? lol)

Luckily we hadn't' had to cancel YD's appointment to have her kitchen installed this morning.( they failed to confirm the date as well) . Equally luckily she had in fact decided to cancel her Camara apt instead.(sixth sense perhaps?) It was only another couple of hrs of my life wasted..after all my time is of no value apparently.. I know this because in the space of a month the Guys who we had arranged to replace our doors and windows failed to turn up.. twice! . Not heard from them since.. and yes it was a well known and respected company. The Kitchen people for YD's flat have also cancelled at the last minute.ditto the floor people. Next update will be 24th June in Portimao.. you see we should have gone to Faro...

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 8th 2016 at 3:01 am.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

OKAAAYEEEEEYIKES!!! residents permit renewed

Appointment in Lagos was today at 10 am..Got to see the guy at 10 15.. so far so good.

However as soon as OH opened his mouth to say we had come to re-new our Residence licence. that old blank look appeared.. Oh dear me no!! If it's a RENEWAL of an already issued licence.. even if it was issued there in Lagos.. You have to go to Portimao ..agghhhh

Several expletives rose and died in our mouths. Even as we asked him slowly and carefully 'why then had his colleague (who had just left the room) told us we could come to his office? Ah... there he was flummoxed..no idea.Also no appology.. Then he brightened. Maybe she mean't we could make the APPOINTMENT here in Lagos? Our turn to look blank. Should he do that for us?. OK why not... Half an hour later he had managed to type out two appointments for OH and myself. As I wanted to chew glass and die in the 33deg heat by then we ommitted to ask if YD could be included.. Let her suffer. It was every man for himself. (Which as an aside takes me to my post on computers again.. Yer see in the 'olden days' I could have made those appointments in ten minutes flat via the telephone. So tell me again how computers are making my life easier? lol)

Luckily we hadn't' had to cancel YD's appointment to have her kitchen installed this morning.( they failed to confirm the date as well) . Equally luckily she had in fact decided to cancel her Camara apt instead.(sixth sense perhaps?) It was only another couple of hrs of my life wasted..after all my time is of no value apparently.. I know this because in the space of a month the Guys who we had arranged to replace our doors and windows failed to turn up.. twice! . Not heard from them since.. and yes it was a well known and respected company. The Kitchen people for YD's flat have also cancelled at the last minute.ditto the floor people. Next update will be 24th June in Portimao.. you see we should have gone to Faro...
Oh dear. Very annoying indeed. We're just going to have to accept the fact that not only are rules/regulations a bit muddled in Portugal, but they're often poorly implemented too. Apologies for inconvenience are rare.

My appointment to pick up the residency card is on the 30th June. Will be sure to post an update in here. No doubt it won't be anything as simple as turning up with ID and the appointment letter.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 12:40 am
Polished expat

I'm no expert on officialdom in the Algarve but would this have anything to do with the fact that the initial 5 year registration certificate is issued by the Câmara Municipal of the municipality in which you live and after that has expired the registration as a permanent resident is issued by the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, whose offices are different and generally regional?

Last edited by Red Eric; Jun 9th 2016 at 12:43 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.