Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK Pension - Location

UK Pension - Location

Old Feb 9th 2021, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Pension - Location

After hearing nothing from DHSS about my UK pension, which is due to start next month, I phoned Newcastle yesterday. I was on hold for a good 20 minutes before a very helpful gent answered and took me through the process of application, which took at least another 20 minutes. When he had all of the required info he then said that he had to read out a statement to me which basically said that I had to notify his office if my circumstances change in the future. He then asked before concluding the call what my plans were in the coming months and I told him I'm planning to go back to Hong Kong in July to prepare for the Tokyo Olympics as I am accredited to the golf competition. He then said "let us know when you go". I thought this was a strange thing to say and so I asked if I should send an email, and he replied, "no, give us a call..." I find this bizarre. Does everyone receiving a UK pension call Newcastle before heading to their holiday home in Portugal (or vice versa) to tell them where they will be? I can't imagine this happens to anyone, and as far as I'm concerned it's no concern of the UK government where I am on planet earth. Am I wrong?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension - Location

You may be aware that there is a strange phenomenon with expats' UK pensions received when that person is in certain countries for extended periods (minimum one month, I think) such as Canada, New Zealand, where the pension is frozen at that time, until the person returns to a "normal" country such as the EU, USA, etc. Check on the government website about pensions, but that is the only reason I can think of for Pensions Office to be interested - how they would know if you didn't tell them I cannot imagine, but there it is. I have relations in NZ and Canada who are concerned with this but don't know about Hong Kong or Japan ... for instance, if they should come back to the UK (or EU as was up to Dec 2020) for over a month, they could inform the Pensions Office and start to receive their pension at the normal rate, rather than the rate at which they left the UK previously at which time it had been frozen. If you are only in a restricted country for a limited time, I cannot see a problem!
Iniquitous isn't it? All to do with some weird reciprocal treaties not being made.