Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

U,K ELECTRICALS IN PORTUGAL.

U,K ELECTRICALS IN PORTUGAL.

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

charlton1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U,K ELECTRICALS IN PORTUGAL.

i will be bringing a uk tv,dvd player and video over to portugal.

Does anyone know the best way to use these in portugal.Can you just swap the uk plugs to portuguese plugs.Do the portuguese version use twin and earth cable like the uk.

cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:06 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: U,K ELECTRICALS IN PORTUGAL.

Dvd and video will work,tv may be a problem.....I can't remember the technicalities but I think it's something to do with the sound.
I'm sure someone will be along to give you a better answer
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

TV in Portugal uses PAL B/G signals. UK TVs use Pal I. This means that some UK TVs cannot reproduce the sound when receiving Portuguese(and Spanish) TV signals. The more modern UK TVs usually can but almost certainly your video will not be able to record them. If you are only going to watch satellite then there is no problem. It is one of these subjects with lots of ifs and buts.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

charlton1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

what about the actual plugs.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

As far as the plugs are concerned you will either need to replace them or use adaptors. TVs,videos, and DVDs generally only have 2 core cables, although UK plugs are all 3 pin

Last edited by brodev; Jan 22nd 2009 at 4:16 am.