Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

typical cost of lawyer

typical cost of lawyer

Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default typical cost of lawyer

to get my nif when I'm still located in uk

anyone have any idea?

thanks in advance
Old Jul 7th 2018, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: typical cost of lawyer

You don't need a lawyer for this. Just go in to the local financas office pay(when I got mine)€10 or €10.5 wait 10 mins or so and there you are.
Take in as many docs as you can(just in case)that prove you are who you are.(passport,proof of address(,I used my UK address)birth cert etc.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

I may just wait until in portugal , but if it was cheap enough was going to get it arranged before I arrive to enable me open a bank account and would also enable me to sort out rental agreement prior to arrival.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
I may just wait until in portugal , but if it was cheap enough was going to get it arranged before I arrive to enable me open a bank account and would also enable me to sort out rental agreement prior to arrival.
You don't say what passport you have but the basic answer is if NOT from an EU member state country then you need someone to sign as your fiscal representative & you do have a passport from an EU member state country you don't need a rental agreement for residency purposes.

Having a lawyer do it for you before you get here might be difficult as they usually require original ID documents so probably not worth the hassle.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks mfesharne

I thought you needed a rental agreement to show residency ? uk passport holder btw
Old Jul 8th 2018, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mfesharne

I thought you needed a rental agreement to show residency ? uk passport holder btw
You're confusing rules non EU with EU & UK passport gives you the right to reside etc & residency in not a privilege to be applied for.

Full details are:

As you have a passport from an EU member state, you have the right to enter & reside.

Once here, you need to go to a Fiscal Office (usually in the Camara/Town Hall) and get a Fiscal number/document & to do that you need to provide your passport, some kind of ID to show your address & a few Euros........ this should take about 20 minutes.

After you've been here 3 months & before 4 months, (it can be before 3 months if you wish) you go to your local Camara & register your residency status with them. This document is called a Residencia & is valid for 5 years. You need to provide your passport, Fiscal Document (AKA NIF) address in Portugal & a few Euros.

Then you go to your local Junta/Council & get your Attestado and for that you need passport, NIF & Residencia.NOTE: Some Camaras require the applicant to get their Attestado before they’ll issue the Residencia but the Attestado attests that you are a resident & if you’re not yet resident how can it attest to that? However the easy answer to that is just to go with the flow & give them what they want. - If the person issuing the Attestado refuses to issue it before you have the Residencia just have one call the other & sort it out amongst themselves.

As Portuguese NHS entitlement is now SOLELY based on residency, you're then entitled to register with a Doctor & get the same care as any Portuguese person.

Now the variables........ Portugal sometimes suffers from variable bureaucracy where individual civil servants misinterpret the rules.

A couple of examples are some Doctor's surgeries ask you to provide a social security number before you can register but this is no longer required.......... but if you're going to work, you need one anyway so easier to go with the flow & just get one from the SS office.

If your not going to work then just tell the person at the Doctor's office to call the SS office & let them sort it out between them.

Some Camaras (notably Penela) try to ask EU passport holders (sic) to provide proof of income or financial security but this should only apply to non EU passports & they have no right to ask for that

Right to reside EU PPT holders & partners

http://www.sef.pt/portal/v10/en/aspx...&id_Linha=4351

UK entitlement to PT NHS with/without SS number

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal

How to register on the PT NHS in Portuguese & English

https://www.ers.pt/pages/438?news_id=1203

If you need to complain about not getting registered on the PT NHS system:

https://www.ers.pt/pages/356
Old Jul 8th 2018, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks - all noted for the future

eta I'm probably jumping the gun and talking about needing to show proof of permanent residency when applying for NHR (which I think is a requirement)

Last edited by dingg; Jul 8th 2018 at 9:59 am. Reason: more info.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

You need a PT address & NIF but NHR registration is easy & can now be done online.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again , but does that pt address need to be a permanent address , does one need to show a long term rental contract if renting?
Old Jul 8th 2018, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again , but does that pt address need to be a permanent address , does one need to show a long term rental contract if renting?
You can do it with no long term contract.
You only need PT address to get a letter from Financas with a passcode then apply to NHR online.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 11:09 am
Just Joined

VeganAdventurer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mfesharne
You're confusing rules non EU with EU & UK passport gives you the right to reside etc & residency in not a privilege to be applied for.
Some Camaras (notably Penela) try to ask EU passport holders (sic) to provide proof of income or financial security but this should only apply to non EU passports & they have no right to ask for that
I read that with interest and thought perhaps I'd got it wrong but everything I read says that EU citizens need to show proof of income or have sufficient funds.If you are an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal for more than 90 days (three months), you will need to get a registration certificate from your local city council to formalise your residence in Portugal. Each member in your family will need to be registered. You will also typically need to sign up to social security in Portugal.The registration certificate is valid for five years. Once you have been in Portugal for 90 days, you have 30 days to apply for your registration certificate. The cost is around EUR 15.To apply for the registration certificate, you will need:
  • a valid passport/travel ID
  • written confirmation of employment or self-employment, or that you have sufficient funds for you and your family to stay in Portugal
  • proof of health insurance in Portugal (if the same applies to Portuguese citizens in your country of origin).

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.You will need a valid identity card or passport and:
  • Employees / Postings abroad
    • Certificate of employment or confirmation of recruitment from your employer
  • Self-employed
    • Proof of your status as self-employed
(Linked from the UK gov website but I can't post the links because I have less than 5 posts or something)

Portugal is an European Union member state and grants visa-free entry to all EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, as well as certain family members and relatives even if the are not from the EU themselves. EU nationals are allowed to enter the country for three months with the aim of finding a job or setting up a business. Once hired, EU nationals have the same rights as Portuguese workers.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

Just a word of advice when opening a bank account - take absolutely everything you can think of that they might need and then add a bit more. Passports, NIF, proof of address in UK (ie utility bill (as up to date as possible), proof of address in Portugal (utility bill or deeds of house), P60, past three months wage slips etc. Also, be prepared to write your signature at least 30 times. We opened up a second back account recently (only took four months in total!) and I could hardly recognise my signature at the end of all the signing offs. Hope all goes well with the move.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by VeganAdventurer
I read that with interest and thought perhaps I'd got it wrong but everything I read says that EU citizens need to show proof of income or have sufficient funds.If you are an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal for more than 90 days (three months), you will need to get a registration certificate from your local city council to formalise your residence in Portugal. Each member in your family will need to be registered. You will also typically need to sign up to social security in Portugal.The registration certificate is valid for five years. Once you have been in Portugal for 90 days, you have 30 days to apply for your registration certificate. The cost is around EUR 15.To apply for the registration certificate, you will need:
  • a valid passport/travel ID
  • written confirmation of employment or self-employment, or that you have sufficient funds for you and your family to stay in Portugal
  • proof of health insurance in Portugal (if the same applies to Portuguese citizens in your country of origin).

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.You will need a valid identity card or passport and:
  • Employees / Postings abroad
    • Certificate of employment or confirmation of recruitment from your employer
  • Self-employed
    • Proof of your status as self-employed
(Linked from the UK gov website but I can't post the links because I have less than 5 posts or something)

Portugal is an European Union member state and grants visa-free entry to all EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, as well as certain family members and relatives even if the are not from the EU themselves. EU nationals are allowed to enter the country for three months with the aim of finding a job or setting up a business. Once hired, EU nationals have the same rights as Portuguese workers.
Looking at it further, Article 7 of the link below says 'sufficient funds' but I can find no mention of having to actually prove 'sufficient funds' or what amount of funds is sufficient therefore assume that if the individual says he/she has sufficient funds then the funds they say they have are sufficient. lol!

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...110616&from=EN
Old Jul 16th 2018, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saz1
Just a word of advice when opening a bank account - take absolutely everything you can think of that they might need and then add a bit more. Passports, NIF, proof of address in UK (ie utility bill (as up to date as possible), proof of address in Portugal (utility bill or deeds of house), P60, past three months wage slips etc. Also, be prepared to write your signature at least 30 times. We opened up a second back account recently (only took four months in total!) and I could hardly recognise my signature at the end of all the signing offs. Hope all goes well with the move.
Thanks

thats all noted
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite easy to open an ActivoBank account in PT - only needed to provide passport, NIF and Residence cert./Junta's paper.
It takes a few minutes and they give you debit cards straightaway (no need to wait).
And it's free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.