Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Traditional British Christmas Dinner

Traditional British Christmas Dinner

Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

xmascheer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traditional British Christmas Dinner

Hi to all you lucky expats! We are coming to Vilamoura for Christmas and are struggling to find a restaurant for a traditional Turkey lunch on Christmas day in Vilamoura. We were going to try Bentley's in Almancil but it is not what it used to be. Plus we would prefer something near the Marina. Any suggestions from you locals would be very gratefully received.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:55 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice
Default Re: Traditional British Christmas Dinner

How about cooking one and having a fun home-away-from-home Xmas dinner. Bring Crackers etc. etc. could be great fun - invite friends - just a thought . . .
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

chriswoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mattiespeople
How about cooking one and having a fun home-away-from-home Xmas dinner. Bring Crackers etc. etc. could be great fun - invite friends - just a thought . . .
We have friends visiting Tavira for Christmas staying in a hotel. Does anyone know if ANY restaurants are open Christmas day?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I went past this one in Santa Catarina today and they were advertising Christmas lunch

http://www.qtfontebispo.com/

You can change the language to English.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Bisto gravy granuels......which supermarket sells it? (im cooking the dinner this year) Tried modelo,intermache,plus and miniprico......no joy as of yet!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:58 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Bisto gravy granuels......which supermarket sells it? (im cooking the dinner this year) Tried modelo,intermache,plus and miniprico......no joy as of yet!
Wash your mouth out....bloody granules

Ive never seen em,but I would have thought you need a BIG Intermarche,surely they have em,they sell everything else brit
If not,get em delivered from Baptista in Praia de luz,it will only cost you 30 quid
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I suppose everybody knows that you can go to Morrisons in Gibraltar, about 4 hours from Tavira.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

And Blue Bombay gin £7.00 a litre!!!!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cleri
Wash your mouth out....bloody granules

Ive never seen em,but I would have thought you need a BIG Intermarche,surely they have em,they sell everything else brit
If not,get em delivered from Baptista in Praia de luz,it will only cost you 30 quid
Then I must find a big Intermarche......the one here in Amarante has fook all but all the crap the French don't want! I may be a bit more adventurous than gravy.......but as you know the Portuguese don't really go for sauces so it may be a lot of effort just for myself. I really have to make the dinner this year as the last 4 years has been a big lump of dry meat on the table with potatoes, rice and that minging dark green tasteless cabbage......yummy eh?!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

I think you will be hard pressed to find a place to eat Christmas dinner on Christmas day in Tavira. I would suggest the Hotel Gale in Tavira they do a good size lunch on Christmas day, but you might need to book as it gets very full. Check out their web site.
Joao
Old Dec 1st 2007, 4:10 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi gedscottish if you Google the word GRAVY it will give you lots of advice on how to make from using home made stock and juices from the meat, I seldom use granules now only when I am feeling lazy. If you are desperate I expect I could buy you some here in Spain and post them to you
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Apolonia?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Jack47 is an unknown quantity at this point

As the new owner of Bentleys I can tell you that you missed a great Christmas dinner this year.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:38 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack47
As the new owner of Bentleys I can tell you that you missed a great Christmas dinner this year.
And as the owner of a Bentley, I get Jamie Oliver in to cook my Christmas dinner
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Andre will become famous soon enoughPaul Andre will become famous soon enough

Apolonia for sure, but also Marrachinos (could be closer to you).
N.B. for 'this is not just gravy - this is M&S gravy' try crumbling in 1 OXO per person (well, three quarters, cos you have to eat the last nugget yourself), then pour in approx. 2 tablespoons of chicken flavour Bisto before adding the beef Bisto (be careful not to confuse the orange chicken Bisto container with the, equally delicious - but in a different context, Chip Shop Curry granules).
Good Luck.
P.S. Anybody want to 'Challenge Paul Andre' to know where you can buy all your processed goodies from ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.