tourist traffic

Old Jun 16th 2020, 11:06 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tourist traffic

Originally Posted by dingg
Of course natural selection takes out the weak and infirm.

I have not consigned anyone at all to an unpleasant death.

Whichever way you want to dress things up cv19 is more harmful in general to the elderly with underlying health issues, that is a fact.

If there is no affective vaccine development then this may become the new norm.

People will need to realise that could happen and the world will not stay in lock down forever, as long as the health services do not become overwhelmed this most likely will be the way things end up imo.

​​​​​​I'm not being unkind to anyone btw, just stating the way I see things heading.​​​​​​
Given that the rest of the statements in your original post were selective, to say the least, your conclusion id doubtful too. If you think the only way in which this virus will become less deadly is through vaccination, you are not aware of the work taking place on antibody harvesting, viral triggering and prophylactic treatment - nor that the virus may mutate to a less deadly form (since killing the host is not an effective outcome).

There is also an issue that your generalization about the impact of COVID-19 is not altogether true.... There are many exceptions to your "rule"..... those in poorer conditions fare worse, those less healthy fare worse, those where treatment is delayed fare worse ...... those "unlucky" fare worse. Every disease takes the "low hanging fruit", there is no reason to focus on that.

The likelyhood is that this virus will become endemic and our response will be tailored to those most vulnerable and according to the likely mortality. Thousands die each year from other diseases and COVID-19 will join the list. However, that is in the future, not now that we have barely advanced our knowledge, detection or treatment of the virus since lockdown commenced.

You may be fed up with restrictions, but the situation on the ground is little different to what it was in February. Whether there is never a drop to zero in infections, or there is and then a further wave commences, the threat to health systems is just the same and the outcome of them losing control would be the same. Governments know this, they also know that any recurrence will be harder to mobilise against and more damaging to the economy.... which is why baby steps are the order of the day.

Old Jun 16th 2020, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Given that the rest of the statements in your original post were selective, to say the least, your conclusion id doubtful too. If you think the only way in which this virus will become less deadly is through vaccination, you are not aware of the work taking place on antibody harvesting, viral triggering and prophylactic treatment - nor that the virus may mutate to a less deadly form (since killing the host is not an effective outcome).

There is also an issue that your generalization about the impact of COVID-19 is not altogether true.... There are many exceptions to your "rule"..... those in poorer conditions fare worse, those less healthy fare worse, those where treatment is delayed fare worse ...... those "unlucky" fare worse. Every disease takes the "low hanging fruit", there is no reason to focus on that.

The likelyhood is that this virus will become endemic and our response will be tailored to those most vulnerable and according to the likely mortality. Thousands die each year from other diseases and COVID-19 will join the list. However, that is in the future, not now that we have barely advanced our knowledge, detection or treatment of the virus since lockdown commenced.

You may be fed up with restrictions, but the situation on the ground is little different to what it was in February. Whether there is never a drop to zero in infections, or there is and then a further wave commences, the threat to health systems is just the same and the outcome of them losing control would be the same. Governments know this, they also know that any recurrence will be harder to mobilise against and more damaging to the economy.... which is why baby steps are the order of the day.
I'm aware of many things
I have an interest in interferon as a prophylactic and treatment for all lung conditions.

You jump to too many conclusions about me 😎

My opinions are merely opinions, yours are different.

Cest la vie
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:29 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware of many things
I have an interest in interferon as a prophylactic and treatment for all lung conditions.

Cest la vie
I deal with what you show..... my statement about your awareness is prefixed with "if"

All opinions are opinions - but you chose to share yours .
Old Jun 18th 2020, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Back to tourism, today I received this years first advert from Pestana
Old Jul 20th 2020, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware of many things

Cest la vie

My interest in interferon paid off handsomely today 😎😎😎😎😎
Old Jul 21st 2020, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You have some investment in the company?

I read that they'd developed an atomized inhalable interferon B, and it seems to have good effects.
There was no mention of possible costs in the BBC article I read though.
Last I heard, interferon treatments were VERY expensive.

A friend of mine who couldn't pay for interferon treatment died of hepatitis.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
You have some investment in the company?

I read that they'd developed an atomized inhalable interferon B, and it seems to have good effects.
There was no mention of possible costs in the BBC article I read though.
Last I heard, interferon treatments were VERY expensive.

A friend of mine who couldn't pay for interferon treatment died of hepatitis.

Indeed I do

Sng is the ticker on lse

Small company but the trial that's just been unblinded was the one with the most chance of being a duck egg as the treatment was started relatively late in the progress of the disease, the result appears to be very good, the home based trials target the virus earlier and should have even better results.

A copd trial result is due to land soon too.

Its not a one trick pony.

Company has been manufacturing the drug for release for a few months now.

Why did your friend need to buy the treatment himself?

​​​​​​
Eta re costs, the treatment is hopefully going to be a lot cheaper than a patient ending up in an icu on a ventilator

Last edited by dingg; Jul 21st 2020 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

My friend was uninsured, living in Asia his whole life, he was American.
He died in Thailand, another friend happened to find him just before he passed on and could be there for him.

Anyway congratulations on your stock pick; I hope it pans out into something big, for all of our sakes.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

In Aljezur for shopping yesterday, the supermarket was packed; they seem to have forgotten about the idea of having 1 family member enter for shopping, couples with kids are all crowded in.

There were queues at the fuel stations.
Road traffic is as busy as any normal summer.

I understand there are few tourists down south, but here on the west coast it appears to be business as usual, but with masks of one sort or another.
People are acting as if it's over.
Great for the economy?
Or a health disaster in the making that will ruin the economy too?

We'll find out in a few weeks.

I understand people have to go back to work, but restaurants, bars, health clubs, and tourism seems utterly mad to me.

What happened to STAY HOME?

Aljezur has had almost no cases until now. I fear that's about to change in a big way
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:45 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by liveaboard
In Aljezur for shopping yesterday, the supermarket was packed; they seem to have forgotten about the idea of having 1 family member enter for shopping, couples with kids are all crowded in.

There were queues at the fuel stations.
Road traffic is as busy as any normal summer.

I understand there are few tourists down south, but here on the west coast it appears to be business as usual, but with masks of one sort or another.
People are acting as if it's over.
Great for the economy?
Or a health disaster in the making that will ruin the economy too?

We'll find out in a few weeks.

I understand people have to go back to work, but restaurants, bars, health clubs, and tourism seems utterly mad to me.

What happened to STAY HOME?

Aljezur has had almost no cases until now. I fear that's about to change in a big way
SWMBO has been complaining about the same thing - local supermarkets being used as "leisure areas" by those with nothing else to do.... and growing numbers of cars. She really dislikes going there.

Her birthday at the w/e was all but ruined by a load of 4X4s - she reckons at least 2 dozen - using our dirt road as a race track and throwing up clouds of dust in their wake - a neighbour was run off the road by them as they crested a hill, totally unaware of what could be on the other side. This, and the aimilar use by trail bikers, has become far more common of the past couple of years..... presumably the GNR will do something once someone is killed.