Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Timeline for switching to permanent residency

Timeline for switching to permanent residency

Old Jan 4th 2022, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Ferretofthemata is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timeline for switching to permanent residency

Hi all! My temporary residency expires on 25th Apr this year. Does anyone know what is the window for me to apply for the permanent residency? Is it 30 days before or some other timeframe?
Old Jan 4th 2022, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline for switching to permanent residency

My temporary residence had expired by several years before I applied for permanent but that was well before Brexit referendum so maybe different rules now. The FAQ on this page may have the info you need - BREXIT (sef.pt)
Old Jan 5th 2022, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this useful too, with direct link to the SEF Portal to do the necessary - don't worry, this is in English. You will need to register on the SEF Portal to access but that is fairly straightforward. The FAQ will probably help you sort out a timeline?
https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/noticias...-de-residencia
Old Jan 5th 2022, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferretofthemata
Hi all! My temporary residency expires on 25th Apr this year. Does anyone know what is the window for me to apply for the permanent residency? Is it 30 days before or some other timeframe?
Most people who were here on a 5 year residency before 31st December 2020 applied on the SEF site for a residency certificate confirming their status pending the issue of new residency cards with biometric data . As far as I am aware that process is still pending.
In our case our residency expired in April 2021 and a pre-booked appointment to update it was cancelled by the SEF and we were told to wait for further notification.
We are still waiting stuck with a document downloaded from the SEF site which is valid a "Residence Permit Application Certificate" .
Old Mar 29th 2022, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Ferretofthemata is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the answers sorry for the long time in replying. I'm still no closer to figuring out what to do. My attempt to autorenew was rejected online, and the FAQ on the brexit website isn't clear on the details.

Do I just let my temporary residency expire and wait to be contacted, or do I need to take some other step to get permanent residency? No one seems to be sure. I don't think I'm expecting answers at this point, I'd just like to know it's not just me.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 5:01 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferretofthemata
Thanks for the answers sorry for the long time in replying. I'm still no closer to figuring out what to do. My attempt to autorenew was rejected online, and the FAQ on the brexit website isn't clear on the details.

Do I just let my temporary residency expire and wait to be contacted, or do I need to take some other step to get permanent residency? No one seems to be sure. I don't think I'm expecting answers at this point, I'd just like to know it's not just me.
You previously posted on another thread that you had already gone through the SEF Brexit site and got the document to say you've applied for a post Brexit residence card. You don't need to worry about the expiry date on the other certificate.

That makes you as up to date as the rest of us. You will be contacted by email when appointments for the taking of biometrics for issuing of the card are available. Keep an eye on here - it'll be a topic that'll be mentioned when it starts on the mainland. A pilot project is already under way on the islands