Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Telephone and broadband

Telephone and broadband

Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future
Default Telephone and broadband

Hi, we are moving to Portugal shortly and were wondering who was the cheapest and reliable supplier for Telephone and broadband in Portugal. We don't really need a telephone but i guess it will come with it.
thanks in anticipation
encodeme
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:23 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone and broadband

I'm just interestd to know why you don't need a telephone but need BB? I'll also be interested in the responses you get.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

very easy, i just make all my calls which include some 5 or 6 european countries using broadband. It does't cost anything to call. I can't imagine Portugal is much cheaper than BT in England,so I don't use the telephone line much. have used a German company called Voipstunt and they give 5 hours per 7 days to a landline for free although you have renew the credit of 10 euros per 120 days or use it on text messages at 5 cents a go. Hence I don't need a landline just a good broadband connection.
have fun
encodeme
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:06 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

There are various ones to choose from
I use PT ADSL broadband,it costs about 35 euros a month (not cheap!!!)
but I have to say,I havent had any problems with it in the 2 and a half years I have been using it,so I stick with it because of that.
I also have a PT phone,my average bill for that is about 23 euros a month,which includes a "package" which enables me to phone Uk at weekends and evenings after 9pm included in the package price which is I think 7 euros a month for 100 minutes.I dont use the phone much as I use the MSN or jajah system through my computer.
When we ring friends here,we phone mobile to mobile,I find its cheaper than using the landline.
Cleri
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks Clari, I'll give them a look.
While I remember have you seen the new shop at Ayamonte. its nearly opposite the ferry over from Villa real. It's called Absolute (can't miss the blue and white sign and they sell everthing for kitting out an apartment or Villa. I was very impressed by the selection of things and the friendly staff.
Once again thanks for the telephone info.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:35 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by encodeme
Many thanks Clari, I'll give them a look.
While I remember have you seen the new shop at Ayamonte. its nearly opposite the ferry over from Villa real. It's called Absolute (can't miss the blue and white sign and they sell everthing for kitting out an apartment or Villa. I was very impressed by the selection of things and the friendly staff.
Once again thanks for the telephone info.
Hiya
No I dont get to Ayamonte very often,as I live western algarve,so its a bit of a hike,think the last time I was ther was nearly a year ago.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Dishin'upDigital is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hiya
No I dont get to Ayamonte very often,as I live western algarve,so its a bit of a hike,think the last time I was ther was nearly a year ago.
It's worth checking if 'CLIX' is available in your area, or 'TELE2'. They're both a LOT cheaper than PT, & CLIX have a €40 deal which includes BB (24mB), free phone calls 24/7 (EU & US) AND line rental. Can anyone beat that? I've had it just over 12 months- it's been down twice in that time, but only for a couple of hours at a time. I still have VoipStunt credit left, I just use it for UK mobiles now!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi TT do you know if there are there any cheaper options for non-residents. ta OB
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
Hi TT do you know if there are there any cheaper options for non-residents. ta OB
Yes, PT's 'SAPO' ISP has a 'pay-as-you-go' service, €22.50 buys you so many minutes which you can use when you want, but you would still need to pay the monthly line rental whether you're here or not. Depending on how much time you spend here, you may be cheaper using with of the mobile networks' pay as you go internet deals and a USB modem. They're getting cheaper all the time so it's worth keeping an eye out for the bargains!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks T, only problem is the alarm systems work on land lines only, allegedly. OB
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
Thanks T, only problem is the alarm systems work on land lines only, allegedly. OB
Yes, I see the problem now. Check eBay for 'GSM alarms', might we worth a shot?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 1:04 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

also looking to get phone, internet, sky tv etc, is it cheaper to go for a combined package of all three services or to get them individually?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gazz
also looking to get phone, internet, sky tv etc, is it cheaper to go for a combined package of all three services or to get them individually?
Better to go for a phone & internet deal- PT/SAPO is the most expensive, but most widely available- CLIX seem to offer the best inclusive deals, TELE2 quite good too- just depends on who is available in your area. SKY nothing to do with phone/internet, we can perhaps help you there- where are you in the Algarve? T.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:28 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

hi T, i will be taking possession of the house from the begginning of june and want too start getting some quotes for things around then, the house is in ferrel, which is near praia da luz, 5 mins west of lagos.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:35 am
Just Joined

semecz is an unknown quantity at this point

when you get the broadband take a look at Skype. I am using it down here for all my phonecalls through my laptop - to other Skype users its free but to UK landlines its about £0.01 a minute. I've bought a SkypeIn number which means that people in UK phone a UK number at local rate so its great for my publishing business as I have to talk to a lot of bookstores etc. I'm using SAPO for the bband which as the others have mentioned is not cheap but very reliable. We're not down here full time yet so it travels around with me in UK and rest of Europe. Has voicemail on it too....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.