Techy Question

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Techy Question

Hi Mike / Richard

At the moment I have my main 4G modem-router in the downstairs study (for wired connection to iMac) with a wireless bridge on the outside terrace, another in the lounge for upstairs and one more in the garage (only powered on when needed). All have different SSIDs so I can see/control connections, but all clients connect seamlessly once the appropriate credentials have been entered.

I also have a second router hard-wired to the main one, which uses SmartDNSProxy to overcome geo-blocking and broadcasts two SSIDs (on 2.4GHz and 5GHz). Again, I can then force connection to the appropriate AP for my Roku box, TV, etc.

Sounds complicated but it works with 99% uptime. However, signal strength is still a bit iffy in some areas with consequent speed loss, especially on 5GHz. So, for example, I can stream lossless music and HD TV where I need to but certainly not everywhere. And when visitors arrive with multiple iThings the network can grind to a halt.

So I thought a new mesh system might be the answer and the AirTies prices are quite good (much cheaper than Ubiquiti). I've also looked at the BT Whole House system which gets good reviews and is decently-priced.

I've not played with powerline adaptors because I have so many circuits plus 3-phase in the house and I'm not sure whether they would work well across different phases / circuits. Any views on this aspect?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I put a wireless router in the attic,that covers the whole house.
LAN wires run through the house for heavy data transfer devices like the TV box + Video download computer, and all go to the router.

It's been working well for a long time.

I've been told of a high power [2 watt I think] router that will cover a wider area. It seems simpler than multiple routers but I didn't try it myself.

Last edited by liveaboard; Feb 23rd 2018 at 1:15 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GRC
...I've not played with powerline adaptors because I have so many circuits plus 3-phase in the house and I'm not sure whether they would work well across different phases / circuits. Any views on this aspect?
We also have 3-phase and haven't experienced any problems but that may just be luck. I haven't even checked whether they're on the same phase or not but definitely on different circuits.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 1:37 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Careful - handoff between wireless AP’s requires smart devices in the client [laptop tablet phone etc].

Its not that the APs say move, the client will be looking x times a second for AP’s its allowed to use.

The broadcomm and intel comms chips have issues if they arent recent in mesh environments. They tend to not let go of weak APs and prefer to reaquire rather than just go for the strongest signal. We have had nightmares in hospitals with older clinical devices wandering around and losing connections, and its all down to older client firmware.

The commercial AP’s [no you cant afford them at home] from cisco et al are now having to resort t oblacklisting weak clients for x seconds to attempt to force handovers but its not ideal.

NB one powerful AP in the right place with the right aerials trumps any mesh or multi ap home system. Powerline or wired lan connected to that AP/Router is great if its suitable for your home, powerline has range limits in terms of x metres of mains cable, and of course can represent a security issue as without a nasty big filter your lan extends to local cabling. You can also operate a wire bridged wireless network in theory but its not typically quick.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Feb 24th 2018 at 1:43 am.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
We use multiple routers with powerline adapters and don't notice logon/logoff problems. Our routers all have the same SSID & passwords. Do yours?
Yes, all AP's have the same credentials but handover is not seamless. Pain if you are FaceTiming and walk from one zone to another.
Enterprise solutions don't suffer with this so much but come at a cost...
Old Mar 11th 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Just read a review of a new mesh router. Zyxel Multy X. Out performed Netgear Orgi, BT Whole Home Wifi, Google Wifi, etc.