Reload this Page >

Survey for buying...

Survey for buying...

Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

James3D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Survey for buying...

Hello,
Can anyone suggest to me if you need a full survey when buying an appartment in Portugal?
A full one is around 800 euros and many tell me there is little comeback if they miss anything.
Anyone not done this and regretted it?
Is it not better just to get an engineer to look at the structure for less?
Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Survey for buying...

Also, if nothing is picked up during buying, does your building insurance cover structural issues if anything should occur? For example in the UK, at my parents house a large crack was discovered. The insurance company would cover the large amount if it was subsidence etc, ie 20,000 etc. However, it was just settlement so my parents had to pay 3000, which is not the end of the world so much!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by James3D
Also, if nothing is picked up during buying, does your building insurance cover structural issues if anything should occur? !
If its down to poor building or a design/defect issue then no, then insurance won't cover it.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks, so an 800 survey is the best way?
or is it just pot luck?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

ok thanks, so an 800 survey is the best way?
or is it just pot luck?
Sorry James, can't help you on that part... I know nothing about these surveys and what the come back on them is if they get it wrong?!

if the survey does cover for the value of the property etc then it has to be worth it. If not, you just have to be on the look out for dampness and big cracks?! If you could speak to some of the residents there also and see if they are happy with the building e.g poorly insulated(oven in summer,fridge in winter,dampness) Does the condominium work ok etc

Must be others on here with a better idea than me about buying?!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks. Well the stairwell smells a bit damp but the flat itself smells of no damp, my nose is sensitive to this.
Some minor cracks on walls inside the flat but it just looks like plaster cracks. etc. The floors are tiled and there are no cracks on the floors and none on the kitchen tiles.
That is why I want it looked at!
Imagine buying something then it falls down!
The flat is nice and in a perfect locarion for me though.

Also with regards to flats now a new worry is that if some of them are empty due to repos etc. This block has about 5 other apparments in it so not huge.
Is there a way I can get the lawyer to search for the status of the other flats if they are owned, also if the company that maintains the block is ok or is paid on time by the other tenants etc?

It is a minefield looking for property abroad! lol. I think I should just buy some land and a shed! lol.

Last edited by James3D; Mar 27th 2013 at 3:07 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is a minefield looking for property abroad! lol. I think I should just buy some land and a shed! lol.
Latter sounds more appealing than an apartment to me, too many horror stories of people not paying the condo. etc Must be a rake of houses that are a bit run down for sale at moment for good prices?!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

I went down the shed/partial renovation idea, when I looked t most of the places, a lot of them had bad damp problems etc.
Ok, sure you can put up a shed if you have land in Portugal supposedly without planning permission, the government could change the law whenever they want surely and you would have to leave.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I went down the shed/partial renovation idea, when I looked t most of the places, a lot of them had bad damp problems etc.
Ok, sure you can put up a shed if you have land in Portugal supposedly without planning permission, the government could change the law whenever they want surely and you would have to leave.
Huge problem with Portuguese houses that have a few years, no insulation! I think if I was going to buy something 20-30 year old I would get it covered in what they call "capoto" (external insulation) we had it done on our new build and works amazingly in both summer and winter!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Huge problem with Portuguese houses that have a few years, no insulation! I think if I was going to buy something 20-30 year old I would get it covered in what they call "capoto" (external insulation) we had it done on our new build and works amazingly in both summer and winter!
Hi scottish ged. Thanks for this info about external insulation for older properties. Is there a way to easily recognise if a house has had this sort of external insulation redering done i.e been capoto-ed - ou capotoei ? Do you have a link with pics of what such walls looked like?
Many thanks.
Zephyr
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
Hi scottish ged. Thanks for this info about external insulation for older properties. Is there a way to easily recognise if a house has had this sort of external insulation redering done i.e been capoto-ed - ou capotoei ? Do you have a link with pics of what such walls looked like?
Many thanks.
Zephyr
Yes easy to tell... just chap the wall and it will give a kind of hollow sound instead of the solid brick sound/feel. Very noticable difference! Oh and the texture/grain looks a little different from a cement finish close up. If I remember right its about 25 euros a square metre to have done.(although that was 7 years ago and there are different thicknesses)
Although ours was a new build so roof well insulated also, we are well into summer before we ever use the air con as it keeps the house so fresh and in winter only heat the house at night.
1st they fix the insulation panels onto house, then cover with a mesh(plasti/fabric...not iron) then a special cement and last the paint... apparently not normal paint either?! I think I have some pictures somewhere of when it was being applied to my house, will try and dig them out(on an SD card somewhere)

As you'll see here on this site no real difference just by looking...

http://jlgaio.pt/?page_id=127

p.s only downside are if there is a hard impact against wall it can burst insulation but easily repaired.

Last edited by gedscottish; Mar 29th 2013 at 11:42 am.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Yes easy to tell... just chap the wall and it will give a kind of hollow sound instead of the solid brick sound/feel. Very noticable difference! Oh and the texture/grain looks a little different from a cement finish close up. If I remember right its about 25 euros a square metre to have done.(although that was 7 years ago and there are different thicknesses)
Although ours was a new build so roof well insulated also, we are well into summer before we ever use the air con as it keeps the house so fresh and in winter only heat the house at night.
1st they fix the insulation panels onto house, then cover with a mesh(plasti/fabric...not iron) then a special cement and last the paint... apparently not normal paint either?! I think I have some pictures somewhere of when it was being applied to my house, will try and dig them out(on an SD card somewhere)

As you'll see here on this site no real difference just by looking...

http://jlgaio.pt/?page_id=127

p.s only downside are if there is a hard impact against wall it can burst insulation but easily repaired.
Hi Ged! That's excellent! Thanks very much. I'll know how to check for a copoto insulating layer. Definitely worth doing the walls if the property doesn't already have it. Don't know if I'd put it on the roof or terrace though. As you said it can crack on impact so I am not sure if walking on it is a good idea but I am sure it's tested etc.
BEst wishes and - Boa Páscoa
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
Hi Ged! That's excellent! Thanks very much. I'll know how to check for a copoto insulating layer. Definitely worth doing the walls if the property doesn't already have it. Don't know if I'd put it on the roof or terrace though. As you said it can crack on impact so I am not sure if walking on it is a good idea but I am sure it's tested etc.
BEst wishes and - Boa Páscoa
No, for sure its not intended for the roof/terrace but there are other ways to insulate them.

Obrigado e iqualmente!

Last edited by gedscottish; Mar 29th 2013 at 11:59 pm.