Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Cheapo Bike Offerings at the minute ?

Supermarket Cheapo Bike Offerings at the minute ?

Old Jul 5th 2021, 8:11 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Supermarket Cheapo Bike Offerings at the minute ?

Hello.
Just wondering if any of the supermarket chains has a cheapo adult bike offering at the moment ?
A link would be good, if such is available.
Thanks.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Cheapo Bike Offerings at the minute ?

Originally Posted by riv
Hello.
Just wondering if any of the supermarket chains has a cheapo adult bike offering at the moment ?
Thanks.
https://www.decathlon.pt/?gclid=Cj0K...IaAjvhEALw_wcB
Old Jul 5th 2021, 9:10 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah..........I was hoping for cheaper than Decathlon,

In fact I found this one at Continente for €150

https://www.continente.pt/desporto-a...tas-de-adulto/

Anyone have experience of these cheapo bikes ? i don't expect refinement but anything to watch out for ??
Old Jul 6th 2021, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

The world has changed re bikes I'm afraid. Immense demand, supply issues means no more really cheap bargain bikes out there.

Some years back I bought two bikes at the supermarket in Olhao (can't remember the name) for the grand total of 54 euros!!!!, which was circa £35 at the time.

Now, a rear cassette for my bike is £99.00, if you can find one.

The days of cheap bikes has passed.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Yeah..........I was hoping for cheaper than Decathlon,

In fact I found this one at Continente for €150

https://www.continente.pt/desporto-a...tas-de-adulto/

Anyone have experience of these cheapo bikes ? i don't expect refinement but anything to watch out for ??
The fact that it is 100% steel means that it will weigh a ton. Yes, you can get lightweight steel, but not at that price. Also, it doesn't specify what groupset is on it so I expect some really basic twist shift nonsense.

Personally, as a bike person, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless you want something just to go half a mile to the pub and back.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Having looked a bit more in depth at the pictures the bike is a Berg which is a Portuguese built bike which was heavily sold in Sportzone shops in malls in Portugal.

I see it says it weighs 16kg which although not ultra heavy is not light when it comes to hills.

Looking at the rear mech in the picture it is a name I, in 50 years of bike riding am not familiar with.

For that money the wheels will be rubbish and will go out of true very quickly.

As previously stated depends what you want it for.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Hello.
Thanks.
A word of caution, spend what you like on the bike but make sure to spend wisely on safety equipment. I’m now two months into my three months in a wheelchair having fell off my bike and I’ve got another month to go. The guy who rescued me from the middle of the road and called the police and ambulance services told me he worked at the nearby fairground and that he would look after my bike for me. Try as I might I can’t find him although I’ve left messages with people who say they work with him. Quite frustrating as I want my bike back even though I may never ride it again
Old Jul 6th 2021, 7:44 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to learn of your accident..................but was the bike in any way to blame ?

It is true that Portuguese roads are particularly dangerous...............so one would not want a bike which parts fall off of when you are waiting to turn left.

If the bike is an expensive one then that must increase the danger of theft.............that's maybe the main reason I don't really wish to spend a lot of money ( same logic applying to car purchase in my case ). I wouldn't want to always be worrying about whether it was being stolen.

If you were in the middle of the road maybe he saved your life................Perhaps he regards the bike as a reward ?

Actually, accidents and Portuguese roads are another reason for buying a cheapo...........In my case I would not be doing any serious cycling........just max three or four miles rides to shops , train station and so on.............avoiding main roads as far as possible.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that bikes in my village do not even have locks.
I assume that's because they don't get stolen.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 8:45 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

what do you think of this

https://www.auchan.pt/pt/automovel-d...8/3344657.html

Auchan Kreativ model ? ( with basket !! ).
Old Jul 6th 2021, 8:59 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

this appears

https://devroneurope.it/project/kreativ-2813/

to be the same bike ' City Style ' model - with a lot of technical info for you Chislenko to interpret and evaluate , lol.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riv
this appears

to be the same bike ' City Style ' model - with a lot of technical info for you Chislenko to interpret and evaluate , lol.
Riv. If as you say you are just going round the village on it then it will do.

A few cons though!

It is very basic technology (if you think of the Apollo brand Halfords sell in the UK it is along those lines)

It does indeed have "twist grip" gear change which if you have any sort of hand arthritis is a killer.

It will be heavy!!

It is only a single 38 tooth chain ring on the front combined with your biggest rear cog being a 28 if you have any severe hills where you live you may struggle. (No offence meant but I obviously don't know your age / fitness level). Single front chain ring is a move being offered by lots of manufacturers nowadays but they usually combine it with a "dinner plate" cassette on the back going up to 40 teeth.

For example: My bike in Portugal, the smallest front chain ring is a 34 coupled with my biggest rear being a 32 and I struggle on some of the hills and I cycle almost daily. One of the downsides of living on the coast, all roads to leave the coast go up!

It only comes in one size, an Ill fitting bike is a nightmare! A one size bike can not fit someone of 4'6" and someone of 6'2".

I wouldn't rule out a trip to your local bike shop, if one is near you, you may pay a bit more but get something better and built. (I notice the guy in the build video didn't copper slip the pedals before fitting them!)

The other advantage of going to a bike shop is you can try the bike for size.

With regards to roads I actually find riding in Portugal a great deal safer than the UK.

NB. With regards to security I had three bikes stolen from my garage in Portugal!

Last edited by chislenko; Jul 6th 2021 at 10:03 am.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:00 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Are you talking about the Auchan one or the Continente one ?

I do absolutely need the basket.

No hand probs at the mo, touch wood and so on. We used to think hand twist gear change was the absolute Bee's Knees when i were a lad ( 1960s) . After all......that's what your older brother's motorbike had......LOL.

I am planning on getting a battery assist bike at some point, but the huge choice leaves me paralysed with indecision. If the Auchan one looks at least safe to you then I can get it as an interim one.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riv
Are you talking about the Auchan one or the Continente one ?

I do absolutely need the basket.

No hand probs at the mo, touch wood and so on. We used to think hand twist gear change was the absolute Bee's Knees when i were a lad ( 1960s) . After all......that's what your older brother's motorbike had......LOL.

I am planning on getting a battery assist bike at some point, but the huge choice leaves me paralysed with indecision. If the Auchan one looks at least safe to you then I can get it as an interim one.
Sorry riv, I just typed all that about the other one!!! I couldn't get the Auchan one to open up, I'll have another go.

Right the Auchan one doesn't give any technical info but looks on a par with the other one.

I have edited my previous post so a bit more to read and digest.

I would still look at going to a local bike shop if you have one near.

Last edited by chislenko; Jul 6th 2021 at 10:09 am.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:18 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

This link

has technical info about what looks like the same model

frame size 20.5 - is that suitable for someone six feet tall ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.