British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Straydogs in Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/straydogs-portugal-608116/)

flyrib May 9th 2009 10:37 am

Straydogs in Portugal

Hello, are there many abandon dogs /stray dogs in Portugal? And if so in which part of the country are they most?

(I´ve read that portugal got over 1 million of stray dogs.)

TaviraTrog May 9th 2009 10:48 am

Re: Straydogs in Portugal

I'm not really sure about that. There are quite a few dogs roaming the streets in Tavira but they all have collars on and I have seen most of them with what appears to be their owner from time to time. If you're looking for a pet there are plenty on offer every week in the local freebie papers.

flyrib May 9th 2009 10:54 am

thanks for your reply, but strange, because we have lots of swedish dogrescue organisations that brings home dogs from Portugal, and according to them there are 1 million straydogs without owners.

In which part of Portugal do live?

gedscottish May 9th 2009 10:56 am

certainly here in the north there are loads:(

flyrib May 9th 2009 11:57 am

thanks for your reply. Any specific areas?

TaviraTrog May 10th 2009 11:24 am

We live in Tavira and, as I said, there are plenty of stray dogs roaming around but most are wearing collars so I don't know if they are strays. The Portuguese seem to let them wandering around willy nilly.

scott909 May 10th 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog (Post 7558371)
The Portuguese seem to let them wandering around willy nilly.

In my road, when i first arrived in Portugal, I thought we had 3 stray dogs wandering around outside, which actually all turned out to have different Portuguese owners!;)

max0603 May 10th 2009 1:31 pm

If you go back to the 80's in the UK Portugal is the same now. Most pooches have owners but they allow them to roam the street. We have 2 GSD and were a bit wary of the roaming mutts, but not had a problem so far, they all seem really friendly/timid.

CHOPPER May 10th 2009 2:14 pm

Stray dogs are not a problem where we are its the ones that are left in the gardens/balconys that bark to their hearts content all hours of the day and the owners do not give a toss and there is nothing you can do about it.

Hettyb May 10th 2009 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPPER (Post 7558696)
Stray dogs are not a problem where we are its the ones that are left in the gardens/balconys that bark to their hearts content all hours of the day and the owners do not give a toss and there is nothing you can do about it.

The worst dog for doing this round by us belongs to English people!!

PubChampion May 10th 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPPER (Post 7558696)

There's a house about 50 yards down the street where I live and they have a little doggy which they leave in their garden. Last summer a little stray doggy used to arrive every night and the pair of them would go into a barking match which often ran for hours on end.

This thing used to drive me crazy because I don't have air con and had to leave the windows open overnight. More than anything else, I was surprised that no one (including the dog's owners) seemed to be bothered. Then it occurred to me that they must have got used to the barking to the point of ignoring it as a background noise. After a while a got used to it too and it doesn't bother me any longer.

It's like getting used to the natives pulling out at junctions forcing you to brake. At first it bothered me, but now I often don't even notice.

flyrib May 11th 2009 10:31 am

Hello and thanks for replying me! Dogs and especially straydogs are a huge interest of mine, have been working for several dogshelters in Spain but also in Venezuela and other undeveloped contries.
(SNIP)

I´m going to Portugal this summer to see for myself and evalute the situation with a spanish org.

flyrib May 11th 2009 3:55 pm

"Mitzyboy" I didn´t register here to promote my website!!!!
The site you erased from my post is a non-profit forum about Stray dogs with the intention to organize help! :(

gedscottish May 11th 2009 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyrib (Post 7561735)
"Mitzyboy" I didn´t register here to promote my website!!!!
The site you erased from my post is a non-profit forum about Stray dogs with the intention to organize help! :(

If this is true.... and the site is genunine... get it back up Mitzyboy or we will tie you to a pole and get Castelo Branco to feed you a bone:lol:

SEriously... if its for helping the situation in Portugal...it can only be a good thing!

Gaeller May 12th 2009 8:59 am

I lived in Central Portugal. There were lots of stray dogs because it is a region for hunting. When he season is over they set them free. They are not neutred so give birth etc. etc.

I left to live in UK some years ago, but my friends are still there. The situation has improved but not that much. There is a dog rescue here in the South of England for Portuguese hunting dogs which have been rescued and brought back for adoption.