British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Straydogs in Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/straydogs-portugal-608116/)

flyrib May 8th 2009 10:37 pm

Straydogs in Portugal

Hello, are there many abandon dogs /stray dogs in Portugal? And if so in which part of the country are they most?

(I´ve read that portugal got over 1 million of stray dogs.)

TaviraTrog May 8th 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Straydogs in Portugal

I'm not really sure about that. There are quite a few dogs roaming the streets in Tavira but they all have collars on and I have seen most of them with what appears to be their owner from time to time. If you're looking for a pet there are plenty on offer every week in the local freebie papers.

flyrib May 8th 2009 10:54 pm

thanks for your reply, but strange, because we have lots of swedish dogrescue organisations that brings home dogs from Portugal, and according to them there are 1 million straydogs without owners.

In which part of Portugal do live?

gedscottish May 8th 2009 10:56 pm

certainly here in the north there are loads:(

flyrib May 8th 2009 11:57 pm

thanks for your reply. Any specific areas?

TaviraTrog May 9th 2009 11:24 pm

We live in Tavira and, as I said, there are plenty of stray dogs roaming around but most are wearing collars so I don't know if they are strays. The Portuguese seem to let them wandering around willy nilly.

scott909 May 9th 2009 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog (Post 7558371)
The Portuguese seem to let them wandering around willy nilly.

In my road, when i first arrived in Portugal, I thought we had 3 stray dogs wandering around outside, which actually all turned out to have different Portuguese owners!;)

max0603 May 10th 2009 1:31 am

If you go back to the 80's in the UK Portugal is the same now. Most pooches have owners but they allow them to roam the street. We have 2 GSD and were a bit wary of the roaming mutts, but not had a problem so far, they all seem really friendly/timid.

CHOPPER May 10th 2009 2:14 am

Stray dogs are not a problem where we are its the ones that are left in the gardens/balconys that bark to their hearts content all hours of the day and the owners do not give a toss and there is nothing you can do about it.

Hettyb May 10th 2009 2:49 am

Originally Posted by CHOPPER (Post 7558696)
Stray dogs are not a problem where we are its the ones that are left in the gardens/balconys that bark to their hearts content all hours of the day and the owners do not give a toss and there is nothing you can do about it.

The worst dog for doing this round by us belongs to English people!!

PubChampion May 10th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by CHOPPER (Post 7558696)

There's a house about 50 yards down the street where I live and they have a little doggy which they leave in their garden. Last summer a little stray doggy used to arrive every night and the pair of them would go into a barking match which often ran for hours on end.

This thing used to drive me crazy because I don't have air con and had to leave the windows open overnight. More than anything else, I was surprised that no one (including the dog's owners) seemed to be bothered. Then it occurred to me that they must have got used to the barking to the point of ignoring it as a background noise. After a while a got used to it too and it doesn't bother me any longer.

It's like getting used to the natives pulling out at junctions forcing you to brake. At first it bothered me, but now I often don't even notice.

flyrib May 10th 2009 10:31 pm

Hello and thanks for replying me! Dogs and especially straydogs are a huge interest of mine, have been working for several dogshelters in Spain but also in Venezuela and other undeveloped contries.
(SNIP)

I´m going to Portugal this summer to see for myself and evalute the situation with a spanish org.

flyrib May 11th 2009 3:55 am

"Mitzyboy" I didn´t register here to promote my website!!!!
The site you erased from my post is a non-profit forum about Stray dogs with the intention to organize help! :(

gedscottish May 11th 2009 10:31 am

Originally Posted by flyrib (Post 7561735)
The site you erased from my post is a non-profit forum about Stray dogs with the intention to organize help! :(

If this is true.... and the site is genunine... get it back up Mitzyboy or we will tie you to a pole and get Castelo Branco to feed you a bone:lol:

SEriously... if its for helping the situation in Portugal...it can only be a good thing!

Gaeller May 11th 2009 8:59 pm

I lived in Central Portugal. There were lots of stray dogs because it is a region for hunting. When he season is over they set them free. They are not neutred so give birth etc. etc.

I left to live in UK some years ago, but my friends are still there. The situation has improved but not that much. There is a dog rescue here in the South of England for Portuguese hunting dogs which have been rescued and brought back for adoption.

Supremegermalene May 11th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gaeller (Post 7563960)
I lived in Central Portugal. There were lots of stray dogs because it is a region for hunting. When he season is over they set them free. They are not neutred so give birth etc. etc.

I left to live in UK some years ago, but my friends are still there. The situation has improved but not that much. There is a dog rescue here in the South of England for Portuguese hunting dogs which have been rescued and brought back for adoption.

Nice to see you on here! I saw your post on the 'other' forum OMG well I've defended you and recommended you to come on to here as the people are far more friendlier!

As to the dog situation, the Algarve has improved greatly I think because there are more dog charities now, in the main set up by expats, who keep an eye out. When I was younger I was horrified to find the way my MIL dealt with her cat's litter...they were taken to a big field and left in the middle to die. :(

gedscottish May 13th 2009 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene (Post 7564182)
. When I was younger I was horrified to find the way my MIL dealt with her cat's litter...they were taken to a big field and left in the middle to die. :(

Unfortunatly there are many horror stories to us that seem quite the normto others. A neighbour of ours had a bitch for 3 years... it had 5 pups, she kept one male & drowned the rest in her tank.....including the mother.
She told the story to my mother inlaw as if it were the thing to do as she wanted a male dog. Luckly I was not there...as im sure I would have to restrained from wringing her neck:frown:

Supremegermalene May 13th 2009 4:53 am

That's so sad :(

1Dawn1 May 20th 2009 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by gedscottish (Post 7568159)
Unfortunatly there are many horror stories to us that seem quite the normto others. A neighbour of ours had a bitch for 3 years... it had 5 pups, she kept one male & drowned the rest in her tank.....including the mother.
She told the story to my mother inlaw as if it were the thing to do as she wanted a male dog. Luckly I was not there...as im sure I would have to restrained from wringing her neck:frown:

Sick...
Its a lack of education!!! Too many animal cruelty cases here. I know a few people who do a lot to rehome strays and unwanted dogs.

Bubbles67 May 20th 2009 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by gedscottish (Post 7568159)

This happens all too often in Central Portugal, the rural Portuguese do not see any problem with killing cats and dogs as they only see tham as utility animals not pets.

Cats are for catching mice and dogs as guards or for hunting, if you look at it from this point of view then you can understand why they do it (I am in no way agreeing with them, just saying I understand the way of life!)

There are many dogs her fastened to long, heavy metal chains all their life, they bark because they are unhappy and want attention but they are never going to get it from their Portuguese owners. I have one neighbour with small children at the same school as mine and they have an outside dog, chained up and always aggresive to people walking past. Recently they have got a house dog (pet) for the children, and they play with it in the garden where the older dog watches.....imagin the emotional traums that the older dog is going through.....it can't talk but now if you walk past it doesn't bark much, it just lies there.....I can imagin it dissappearing soon as it is no longer doing it's JOB!!

It makes me sad, but I am the newcomer and I am not going to tell my neighbours to change their way of life...things will change slowly...:(

Jur May 20th 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyrib (Post 7561735)

Put the site in your signature, that is allowed and we can all view it. Are you just helping dogs or cats as well?

Jon_D May 20th 2009 10:48 pm

Dear cyber friends; let us not get too sanctimonious about this. I was brought up in the North East of England 70 years ago, and it was common practise to drown unwanted kitten and puppies in the rain water barrels outside the houses. Also homing pigeons were strangled when their racing days were over, generally after 3 years.

Sharon B May 20th 2009 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 7591702)
Put the site in your signature, that is allowed and we can all view it. Are you just helping dogs or cats as well?

Jur, notice how the Portuguese forum actually is generally friendly towards animals and people!! Although I am not a great animal lover (enough problems with grandchildren;)) the Spanish forum was unduly cruel towards a grieving cat lover.

OrkneytoPortugal May 20th 2009 11:49 pm

Round our way it is common practice for cute little puppies and kittens to be abandoned on the edge of land belonging to English folk. We acquired one such, 2 days before Christmas last year - but I am dreading it happening again because we simply can't let ourselves become a rescue centre. Yet it is so hard to refuse them- even in the time it would take to drive them to the nearest legit animal rescue centre the kids would probably have bonded with it and refuse to let it go! Many estrangeiros I know are becoming over-run with cats and dogs this way, because they haven't the heart to say 'no'. :unsure:

Jur May 22nd 2009 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Sharon B (Post 7591809)
Jur, notice how the Portuguese forum actually is generally friendly towards animals and people!! Although I am not a great animal lover (enough problems with grandchildren;)) the Spanish forum was unduly cruel towards a grieving cat lover.

Yeah, It really depends though, but the Spain forum is very feisty. Moderator Sue just closed another thread.

Gosia Jun 3rd 2009 1:46 am

Originally Posted by flyrib (Post 7556059)
Hello, are there many abandon dogs /stray dogs in Portugal? And if so in which part of the country are they most?

(I´ve read that portugal got over 1 million of stray dogs.)

Hi FlyRib, I would like to answer to your question. There are LOTS of abandonded dogs in Portugal. I arrived here 3 years ago, quickly picked up 2 strays from the streets and when I found a third one with 3 puppies, I started to look for shelters and charities. I could not keep them all.... I found one shelter, they helped me to rehome them and I stayed with them ever since. I go there every Saturday, when I am off work, and I help as much as I can. I have seen everything. Owners coming to the shelter to abandon their dogs under whichever excuse (divorce, change of job, change of appartment, move to another city, dogs barks, dogs does big poos, dog leaves hair - and they want to exchange for one with short hair, everything). I have seen dogs attached to the gate of the shelter overnight and found by us in the morning, same for puppies in a carton box. Some dogs come accompanied by a piece of paper with a name. I have picked up myself dogs from the highway or national road (the last one yesterday), dirty, hungry, covered with ticks - they cannot have an owner. Found sick and old dogs wherever. An old dog never has an owner. We all live in the arae. We have it all covered - we know which dogs spent their days in the street and have an owner and which dogs appear from one day to another dumped there and they have no owner. Our shelter is the biggest in the area. If the dog is lost, this is the most obvious place to go. But not many dogs are retrieved liked this. There are hundreds thousands of dogs abandoned every year.
Behind that you have an enormous work of people (bunch of foreigners but mostly Portuguese, yes, there are some generous Portuguese in here too) who take care of the animals in the shelter, take them to the vet, walk them, organise adoptions fair, visit houses before rehoming, follow up on adoptions. People who basically sarifice whatever free time they have to help the animals.
We write a blog in English, you can read some stories here:
http://bianca-pet-rescue-adoption.blogspot.com/
and you can see our webpage: www.bianca.pt/english
it is quite informative I think.
Administration, I am not promoting anything, please don't delete it! It is a charity, please leave the webpage, maybe someone will adopt a dog or a cat.... You can write to [email protected] (they can also reply in English, French or Spanis).

FlyRib: we are in Sesimbra, 30 kms from Lisbon, in a rural area of high abandonment of animals. If you would like to come and visit us, you are welcome. I can who you around. We had a Swedish volunteer for 2 months, she was helping in the shelter!

I don't know if you are thinking about rehoming dogs to Sweden.... We work with a Dutch organisation, we rehome some dogs to Holland.