Reload this Page >

Social Security Contributions - Self Employed

Social Security Contributions - Self Employed

Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

GJHanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Social Security Contributions - Self Employed

Hi there,

Hopefully somebody out there is either self employed or an accountant. I am really struggling to understand social security contributions for the self employed.

It looks to me as though there is a choice depending on what benefits you want, i.e. compulsory at approx 25.4% or extended at 32%. But 25.4% or 32% of what? Surely this can't be of your earned income.

I am moving to the Algarve at Easter and my job will be set up as self employed under "contract for services". Basically I will be looking after clients for a company, no outlay for equipment etc with a basic "draw" per month.

So lets say I earn 60,000 euros spread evenly throught the year, which is 5,000 euros per month, gross, are they saying it will be 25.4% or 32% of that each month, on top of personal income tax
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

robert777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Security Contributions - Self Employed

Originally Posted by GJHanley
Hi there,

Hopefully somebody out there is either self employed or an accountant. I am really struggling to understand social security contributions for the self employed.

It looks to me as though there is a choice depending on what benefits you want, i.e. compulsory at approx 25.4% or extended at 32%. But 25.4% or 32% of what? Surely this can't be of your earned income.

I am moving to the Algarve at Easter and my job will be set up as self employed under "contract for services". Basically I will be looking after clients for a company, no outlay for equipment etc with a basic "draw" per month.

So lets say I earn 60,000 euros spread evenly throught the year, which is 5,000 euros per month, gross, are they saying it will be 25.4% or 32% of that each month, on top of personal income tax
The first year is free... so I am advised by my accountant. After one year you will pay 186.13 euros per month... not sure yet how it works re income but will keep you advised when I know more... [email protected]
Get in touch with me and we can chat and make things clearer.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

kyles Mummy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at a meeting at my account a couple of weeks ago and it is changing. Everyone used to pay 160 euros a month but now it is based on earnings.

If you are expecting to earn less than 10,000 euros in your first year you can apply for a year without paying social security so you can have a break.

here is a link to the new social security earning brackets so you know what you need to pay each month:

http://livinginthesun.info/portugal/...-ready-for-it/

kind regards

sam
X
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

I hope it does change to being based on income as ATM it's ridiculous! Who is going to go on green receipts knowing they will have to shell out €186 a month regardless of how much is earned/what your expenses are. It's appalling. The Uk system is far better paying £32 a month (or however much it currently is) then paying the balance when earnings have been calculated.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

kyles Mummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
I hope it does change to being based on income as ATM it's ridiculous! Who is going to go on green receipts knowing they will have to shell out €186 a month regardless of how much is earned/what your expenses are. It's appalling. The Uk system is far better paying £32 a month (or however much it currently is) then paying the balance when earnings have been calculated.
Well the green receiptsd are stopping too!!!

I think it is in june/july and then we will be all using the online system instead which will save on your admin.