Reload this Page >

Sim only mobile contract

Sim only mobile contract

Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

benwrigley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sim only mobile contract

Hi Everyone,

My 14 year old daughter lives in Portugal with her mum and I want to get her a mobile phone on a sim only contract. Sadly I cannot make head or tail of the websites as they seem to be bundling TV and all sorts.

I understand Meo is probably the best and the cheapest? But does anyone know if they do a sim only contract?

Thanks so much for you help. I hope it is still warm out there for you all, it's cold here!

Ben
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sim only mobile contract

Hi we have a sim only contract with voda phone might be worth looking at. 😎
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you, can I ask how much you are paying and what you get on the contract.

I've had a look on their Portuguese site, and I don't really follow.

Thank you.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

I have one with NOS.

You would need to have a local address, a local NIF/Contrib number and possibly a local bank account for direct debit payment.

If you can be a bit more specific on what the usage of the sim account would be for,(local calls, international calls, internet, might be able to be a bit more specific..
Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benwrigley
Hi Everyone,

My 14 year old daughter lives in Portugal with her mum and I want to get her a mobile phone on a sim only contract. Sadly I cannot make head or tail of the websites as they seem to be bundling TV and all sorts.

I understand Meo is probably the best and the cheapest? But does anyone know if they do a sim only contract?

Thanks so much for you help. I hope it is still warm out there for you all, it's cold here!

Ben
Any MEO store will provide you with one . Vodafone also offer similar. You may need a fiscal number to buy the Sim
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your answers.

She needs to be able to text and social with friends but most importantly she needs to be able to message me They have no Internet so she will probably end up streaming too.

Sadly her mum won't help by taking her to a shop, so I'm stuck with getting something on the Internet that will accept a uk bank/credit card.

I realise this is actually not a straightforward search!

Thanks again,

Ben
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:34 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

With the end of roaming charges have you looked at the alternative of sending her a payg UK phone that you can top up as needed ?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi Yes, I thought that, but apparently the end of roaming is not quite as it seems. It is only for 6 weeks at a time and then it returns to the astronomical rates
Old Nov 13th 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

I´m not clear actually what you want.

Is this it?

1) Daughter in Portugal
2) You want to get her a SIM for her mobile phone.
3) This is for phone calls, texting (SMS) and Internet!
4) You want to pay for her usage on monthly basis?
5) You want to pay with a UK credit card!

Is this correct?

We can then filter down what may be available!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
I´m not clear actually what you want.

Is this it?

1) Daughter in Portugal
2) You want to get her a SIM for her mobile phone.
3) This is for phone calls, texting (SMS) and Internet!
4) You want to pay for her usage on monthly basis?
5) You want to pay with a UK credit card!

Is this correct?

We can then filter down what may be available!
This is the link on the MEO site for the typical SIM that you want for your daughter .You can apply here :

https://www.meo.pt/telemovel/tarifarios/pre-pagos/top

However you will need a Portuguese Fiscal Nº and and an address.

I used to have this contract for about a year when we first arrived and it cost €3,- a week . Calls, Text and data 1GB

Last edited by Loafing Along; Nov 13th 2017 at 5:21 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi barlaventoexpert,

Yes that's exactly it.

Hi Loafing Along,

I think that looks perfect.

The only problem I can see is the fiscal number and address bit. I presume only 18+ can have a fiscal number and must be a resident?

Thanks

Ben
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benwrigley
Hi barlaventoexpert,

Yes that's exactly it.

Hi Loafing Along,

I think that looks perfect.

The only problem I can see is the fiscal number and address bit. I presume only 18+ can have a fiscal number and must be a resident?

Thanks

Ben
Anyone over the age of 10 years can have a fiscal number ( the more the merrier for the tax office ) . Can apply with a foreign passport, normally at local Tax Office or , in some towns, the "Citizen's Counter" - often found in large shopping centres and similar locations . Independent of local address although then needs to be updated when a local address available. I assume as she is living with her mother in Portugal she has an address here.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Forgot to add the english link about the Fiscal Nº :

https://www.portaldocidadao.pt/en/we...essoa-singular
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

The simplest way around would be for her mum to sort it but you’ve said that’s not possible. Your daughter nor you probably don’t have portuguese bank accounts nor fiscal numbers so that really makes it tough. Does she have a friend at school whose parents could buy her a PAYG card then she could top it up with cash herself at a Payshop or other places that do it?

As a last resort Portuguese SIM cards are readily available on EBay UK, no info required. You could get one from there and send it to her. Not the cheapest option though and she’ll still need to top it up with cash, or ask a friend to do it for her.

Here’s an example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portugies...cAAOSwtO5XIomu
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Just to follow up on this.

Once she has this SIM she could change the tariff ata Vodafone shop. Don’t quote me but I don’t think you need a NIF No to change tariff, worth asking in the shop.

As she’s under 25 the Vodafone ‘Yorn’ or ‘Up’ tariffs may suit better at around 14 euros a month.

Here’s the link to the tariffs, google translate is your friend here.

Tarifários - Vodafone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.