Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Shipping from US to Portugal....dodgy or ok?

Shipping from US to Portugal....dodgy or ok?

Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:54 am
Just Joined

rexypexy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping from US to Portugal....dodgy or ok?

Originally Posted by garden2002
Hi
We ordered a small electronic item from the USA in June this year. It took a few weeks to arrive (via UPS) & arrived safely BUT we paid nearly the same amount in PT import tax as the original purchase price. UPS called us to see if we wanted to accept the extra cost before they delivered the item. They expalined it is not unusual for imported goods from the USA to be taxed at a proportionally high rate compared with the purchase price but this is not always the case.
Hope this helps
hi
I ordered goods from the US a few weeks ago.I tracked the package( no problem) showing parcel arrived in Lisbon 2 days later.8th Feb. On Friday
25th Feb I received tel.call from someone whom I assume was a customs officer which I did not understand even though I speak portuguese
The call didn't regsister on my blackberry so cannot return the call and I cannot find a tel.no for Lisbon customs anywhere I even tried the Post Office for assistance. No joy there.Can you help please??
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

garden2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Sorry to hear you are having problems. We had no contact with customs directly - only via the courier (UPS) used by our US seller. Suggest you contact the courier or postal service used by your seller and see if they can update you.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

If local office of carrier cannot help try FAOTIR in Faro - they used to be despechantes (customs agents) but check on any fees first.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:33 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
It matters not whether you have it sent to the UK instead of Portugal as any goods brought into the EU from a non EU source are subject to import duty. Here's a link to the info for the UK http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm
I agree in principle, but there are types of goods that do not attract import tax in the UK. Computer goods (for example) were once in that league.
I would suggest just about everything would attract import duty in Portugal.

For sure, here in Portugal, you will just about end up nailed for import tax on everything and delayed on delivery compared to the UK where you may pay (some) import tax and might be delayed a little on delivery.

Once, we had two sweatshirts (for the wife and I) and about four small motorbike stickers sent by a friend in Singapore as a gift. The robbing buggers in Lisbon wanted us to provide an invoice/receipt (we didn't have one) and eventually charged us around 20 Euros import duty. We got the shirts about three weeks after they arrived in Portugal.

If you involve Alfandega in the loop they will always nail you and inevitably delay delivery, probably even more so now that they must scrape in every Euro to keep this country afloat!

We've been here 8 years and will now only ship into the UK and then UK to here.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

'Twas always so in Portugal. Pre E#U days we even had to pay the Customs Agents (Despechantes) to clear our imported goods on top of the duty, IVA etc
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:46 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
I agree in principle, but there are types of goods that do not attract import tax in the UK. Computer goods (for example) were once in that league.
Most goods into the UK from outside the EU attract duty / VAT on importation, with the exception of those covered by quota systems and those zero rated (however I don't remember computer parts being zero rated) ........ and those quotas often run out during the year so duty is reimposed. So the great majority are subject to duty, but some are subject to quota relief
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

I've had a fair bit of stuff from the US/Canada delivered to the UK and only ever paid duty once and that was when it was sent to a company name rather than an individual.

I don't think I'd like to risk anything being sent direct here unless it's from China.

G
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
I've had a fair bit of stuff from the US/Canada delivered to the UK and only ever paid duty once and that was when it was sent to a company name rather than an individual.

I don't think I'd like to risk anything being sent direct here unless it's from China.

G
Thats because (a) UK customs only select a percentage of items for examination and maybe (b) the item descriptions on the shipping documents are often ... well .. misleading . I had a camera from the US some years ago and it came straight through to the UK.