Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Shepard's Tiny Home/ Yurt

Shepard's Tiny Home/ Yurt

Old Oct 24th 2022, 10:26 am
Just Joined

shepard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shepard's Tiny Home/ Yurt

I'm looking at buying rustico land in the Algarve or anywhere along the coast towards Lisbon in order to be a shepard.

Would anyone know about the legality of me living in a small structure (tiny home/yurt type structure unconnected to mains or water) on rustic land while doing this?

Thanks for reading
Old Oct 25th 2022, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shepard's Tiny Home/ Yurt

Totally illegal.
Most likely no one will care though.
Your odds of success are better on the interior hills. Coastal land has high value and tends to be more tightly regulated.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose if I got a place with a pre-51 urban ruins I could do it for a year or so anyway while I do up the ruins.

On the coastal land being more expensive thing - would you know why coastal rustic land is more expensive than middle of the country rustic? I can understand why urban land is but rustic seems like it should not be that much more and some of the asking prices seem ridiculous.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't buy in Portugal, the regulations in Spain and most countries in the EU are similar though. You should ask the townhall, but in most cases they won't allow it when you ask. Some councils might offer a temporary licence for a caravan if you are building a main home in an urban area. Coastal land will always be more expensive and even if it's rustic today, many investors or owners hope that one day it will be urban.
A lot of people also just put the land up for sale hoping that some wealthy foreigner will pay the ridiculous asking price.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 25th 2022 at 12:54 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, yes I suspected this re hoping some wealthy foreigner would buy it.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Also - how much do you know about sheep or goat-keeping in Portugal - I understand there are copious and complicated regulations about this and husbandry in general. Please find out before you go much further with your plans.
Most councils (Camaras) will not allow even caravans on rural land, and are very difficult about them on land with ruins that are being eventually renovated, and then there are the regulations about use of rural land for farming and what buildings can be lived in/put up as farm buildings/etc. depending on the acreage involved They will definitely refuse if you have no means of drainage of effluent (eg septic tank). A water supply could probably also be insisted upon.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Also - how much do you know about sheep or goat-keeping in Portugal - I understand there are copious and complicated regulations about this and husbandry in general. Please find out before you go much further with your plans.
Good point and this is assuming the OP is already experienced. If not, https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-c...and-goats.html

Then of course you have language and these days with Brexit maybe even a Visa issue?
Old Oct 25th 2022, 5:56 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Then of course you have language and these days with Brexit maybe even a Visa issue?
I hesitate to pst along these lines, as it's not directly relevant to the opening enquiry but just in case he's not already a resident and hasn't looked at that in any detail : -

Even if the OP is a EU national and there's no visa issue, it's difficult to imagine the above scenario satisfying official residence criteria. Without that, there's practical issues around getting registered for healthcare, at the very least.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 6:14 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

My neigbour is a sheep farmer and continually bemoans the regulations and the cost of compulsory vet inspections, etc. and suggests that the GNR Ambiente (SEPNA) have a revenue-model based on fines for non-compliance with arcane rules..... and he's Portuguese!

As to the use of Yurts, etc. - I know that people have them as holiday accommodation and some in the inland "midlands" appear to live in them..... but I doubt the absolute "legality" of this usage, particularly if the land is classified as "rural" and I'm sure that SEPNA could find a reason to cause issues with regard to waste disposal, water supply, etc., if so inclined (remember that true gypsies still exist in Portugal and the authorities are not likely to offer you something that would encourage them too).

I believe that, officially, you are supposed to get permission from the Camara first - but there's a good chance they would then request that you provide things that you can't easily supply and so they will effectively block your usage, without actually refusing you. After all, if you are not permanent and/or not on urban land, you will not be paying much by way of IMI (locakl taxes), so why should they help you?

Clandestine usage is always an option...... but be aware that the general action in Portugal (as in many other places) is to fine you first and let you fight it if you have the time, money and willpower to do so..... so it could be an expensive experience. Be aware of this if others tell you they've "done it for years", because that's no protection for you..... people have also run foreign vehicles well beyond the 6-months limit, but the risk of confiscation and large fines make that a gamble too!!!
Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice.

Tbh I haven't researched much about the ins and outs of keeping sheep there yet and was first finding out if the plan was viable.

If you put "went homeless done guerrilla grazing by choice" into youtube you'll see what my plan is (I can't post the link here as I don't have enough comments yet)

But I was basically hoping to buy a small bit of land and do that in an effort to escape what I think is coming with covid.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

thank you
Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Good point and this is assuming the OP is already experienced. If not, https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-c...and-goats.html

I'm not experienced and Irish
Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I hesitate to pst along these lines, as it's not directly relevant to the opening enquiry but just in case he's not already a resident and hasn't looked at that in any detail : -

Even if the OP is a EU national and there's no visa issue, it's difficult to imagine the above scenario satisfying official residence criteria. Without that, there's practical issues around getting registered for healthcare, at the very least.
Thank you. I haven't looked into complications like this.

Tbh I'm not looking to do this long-term, maybe just for a couple of years.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by macliam
My neigbour is a sheep farmer and continually bemoans the regulations and the cost of compulsory vet inspections, etc. and suggests that the GNR Ambiente (SEPNA) have a revenue-model based on fines for non-compliance with arcane rules..... and he's Portuguese!

As to the use of Yurts, etc. - I know that people have them as holiday accommodation and some in the inland "midlands" appear to live in them..... but I doubt the absolute "legality" of this usage, particularly if the land is classified as "rural" and I'm sure that SEPNA could find a reason to cause issues with regard to waste disposal, water supply, etc., if so inclined (remember that true gypsies still exist in Portugal and the authorities are not likely to offer you something that would encourage them too).

I believe that, officially, you are supposed to get permission from the Camara first - but there's a good chance they would then request that you provide things that you can't easily supply and so they will effectively block your usage, without actually refusing you. After all, if you are not permanent and/or not on urban land, you will not be paying much by way of IMI (locakl taxes), so why should they help you?

Clandestine usage is always an option...... but be aware that the general action in Portugal (as in many other places) is to fine you first and let you fight it if you have the time, money and willpower to do so..... so it could be an expensive experience. Be aware of this if others tell you they've "done it for years", because that's no protection for you..... people have also run foreign vehicles well beyond the 6-months limit, but the risk of confiscation and large fines make that a gamble too!!!
Thank you, some good info here
Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Most councils (Camaras) will not allow even caravans on rural land, and are very difficult about them on land with ruins that are being eventually renovated, and then there are the regulations about use of rural land for farming and what buildings can be lived in/put up as farm buildings/etc. depending on the acreage involved They will definitely refuse if you have no means of drainage of effluent (eg septic tank). A water supply could probably also be insisted upon.
Thank you. Tbh I haven't look at any of these details yet.

If you put "went homeless done guerrilla grazing" into youtube you'll see what I'm hoping to do (I can't directly link you to it unfortunately as I'm too new here apparently.

My plan is to do this in a field for a few years in an effort to escape what I fear is coming with covid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.