Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Shed - any restrictions

Shed - any restrictions

Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really nice
Default Shed - any restrictions

We're just outside Tavira, and would like to put up a wooden shed, ontop of bricks or stones, so not anchored or fixed in any way. Anyone know if there are planning restrictions - or what size and specifications are permitted ?? Thanks.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shed - any restrictions

Originally Posted by Big Ant
We're just outside Tavira, and would like to put up a wooden shed, ontop of bricks or stones, so not anchored or fixed in any way. Anyone know if there are planning restrictions - or what size and specifications are permitted ?? Thanks.
My builder says as long as it is wooden and not permanent, you don't need permission but I would be interested in having that confirmed!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really nice

Hopefully we'll find out, and as soon as I get something, I'll post it up on the forum.

We don't have a garage, and understand there are restrictions in that respect, but the classic storage facility for bikes, garden equipment, etc in big wooden lockable shed on stones to keep away from soil/damp/critters is what we're after.

Big Ant
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Ant
Hopefully we'll find out, and as soon as I get something, I'll post it up on the forum.

We don't have a garage, and understand there are restrictions in that respect, but the classic storage facility for bikes, garden equipment, etc in big wooden lockable shed on stones to keep away from soil/damp/critters is what we're after.

Big Ant
Yes, that is what we were asking about. However I was concerned about how well it would do in the hot sun. I suppose it would be ok with yearly painting.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good point, the sun would need to be considered for the roofing as well as the painting.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hettyb
My builder says as long as it is wooden and not permanent, you don't need permission but I would be interested in having that confirmed!
We've always been told the same by estate agents, when looking at properties, but again it has only been word of mouth, nothing confirmed
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Hi, I asked a friend architect about putting a mobile home on a piece of land and she too told me it's fine as it's not permanent.

G
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

We put up a shed next to our house and had a visit from the Camera within days.

We explained that it was only a storage shed for garden tools but they confirmed that we needed permission.

We spoke to an architect at the Camera, who confirmed that we needed permission.

We spoke to a private architect, who confirmed that we needed permission.

So we wrote back to the Camera confirming that we would remove the shed, covered it in green netting and haven´t heard a thing since!

It really seems to depend on your local Camera and whether or not they can see it. I wouldn´t recommend my course of action but it worked for me.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steppitoe

We explained that it was only a storage shed for garden tools but they confirmed that we needed permission.

We spoke to an architect at the Camera, who confirmed that we needed permission.

So we wrote back to the Camera confirming that we would remove the shed, covered it in green netting and haven´t heard a thing since!

It really seems to depend on your local Camera and whether or not they can see it. I wouldn´t recommend my course of action but it worked for me.
Loads of people caught a cold here when they put up sectional wooden houses thinking as they were portable they didn`t need licences etc.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steppitoe

Ah but in Vila do Bispo it's hard to get permission for anything...

I forgot to mention that the piece of land I was referring to was an urban plot with building permission granted but no house on it yet. That might have made a difference?