Reload this Page >

Selling imported car in Portugal

Selling imported car in Portugal

Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

osiouek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling imported car in Portugal

Hello,
I'm an Erasmus student from Poland who came to Portugal for one academic year (i'm not a resident). I came here with my car from Poland (with Polish registration) and want to sell it here. Do you know what will be the cost for the future owner to register car here in Portugal? Or do you know the place where I can get this informations in Porto?

Please answer me asap because I have somebody who want to buy it.

Regards,
Wojtek
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:33 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling imported car in Portugal

If you have been in Portugal for longer than 6 months then your car is illegal and should have been taken back to Poland. You should matriculate the car yourself if still within the 6 months and then you would be selling a legal car.
The last thing anyone should do in Portugal is buy a non PT reg car unless they intend immediately leaving the country.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Price to import it all depends on the car(year, engine size, Cº2 emissions) What is it?

I knew some Polish who lived in my town here, I think most have left now though... still one though who still drives her Polish registered car about(been here about 5 years so she is riding her luck!)
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really nice

Czesc Wojtek.
Cost of matriculation roughly 1k, +/- depending how much you do yourself, biut generally speaking a lot of work. Then, you cannot economically sell the car for 5 years, as the "avoided" import tax is due, on a sliding scale.
My opinion, sell it to another Pole, or drive it home.
Big Ant
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Price to import it all depends on the car(year, engine size, Cº2 emissions) What is it?

I knew some Polish who lived in my town here, I think most have left now though... still one though who still drives her Polish registered car about(been here about 5 years so she is riding her luck!)
================================================== ========
It all depends on who you are, where you live and who you know.

Take one of my locals. He is driving his ex-london taxi, RHD, M registration
and his displayed UK tax disk expired in November 2009.
No problem, still on the road here.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:24 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

He is one of the reasons why their are so many police checks on UK reg cars.
The sooner he is caught the better,
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tombo
================================================== ========
It all depends on who you are, where you live and who you know.

Take one of my locals. He is driving his ex-london taxi, RHD, M registration
and his displayed UK tax disk expired in November 2009.
No problem, still on the road here.
__________________________________________________ ____
Polish woman has been lucky as GNR in my town really hassle the foreign plated cars(mostly Portuguese with French plates)

Apart from insurance being dubious, obviously they have no MOT's either.. so no sympathy when they get caught!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Originally Posted by EMR
He is one of the reasons why their are so many police checks on UK reg cars.
The sooner he is caught the better,
================================================== =======

Why do you think he is getting away with it?

Seems unlikely that he could pass the Transito and GNR patrols along the EN125
driving an old taxi with a UK plate.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

osiouek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help. I checked in some agency that matriculation of my car will cost 4400 euros I decided to take it back to Poland. Do you know if I need some permit during this 180 days to drive the car legally here or can I drive with just polish documents?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

What a lovely honest thoughtful person.
Unlike the dishonest thoughtless scum driving around in their illegal uninsured untaxed accident waiting to happen UK or other foreign cars
Fortunately Portuguese law is still based on the early Arabic and you will lose all of your Portuguese possesions, house, car, savings etc when you kill or injure someone here. - please email me i'd love to know when it happens to you
Please don't bleat about how unfair it is to import cars here whilst drinking Portuguese cheap booze , paying peanuts for your annual house tax and smoking yourself cheaply to death
Well done to our Polish friend
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks for all your help. I checked in some agency that matriculation of my car will cost 4400 euros I decided to take it back to Poland. Do you know if I need some permit during this 180 days to drive the car legally here or can I drive with just polish documents?

Wow 4,400€ to Matriculate a car. I DID mine and it cost abot 500€ and i did it in one day after a day preparing.

On my Blog i have put down how easy it is it's on the April/ May page.

Yes all in a day. Forget the agents telling you all the problems. Load of Crap i did it in a DAY.

Oh and the other poster 1,100€ you where robbed or miss informed.

Peter " Dreams can come true "
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:14 pm
EMR
Banned

Peter the guy is a student in Portugal for a short time and would not qualify under the same rules as you, IE, He is NOT resident, He may not have owned the car for 12 months before starting the matriculation process.
You may have had the time, patience and friendly local offices and found the process relatively painless but this is not always the case as many will testify.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Peter the guy is a student in Portugal for a short time and would not qualify under the same rules as you, IE, He is NOT resident, He may not have owned the car for 12 months before starting the matriculation process.
You may have had the time, patience and friendly local offices and found the process relatively painless but this is not always the case as many will testify.
Hi EMR

Much of getting a car Matriculated is down to how you make the approach. Having work with the public for most of my working life i know how to approach people and get the result i want. I pointed out that it is and can be easy to get a car Matriculated. One day for the preparation " MOT and form filling " And one day to get everything done. It's down to how you deal with things and how you approach and speak to people. Treat them with the respect they deserve and they will be happy to help.

I was quoting on the process not about a persons personal circumstances.

Peter " Dreams can come true "
Old Dec 11th 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve01
Please don't bleat about how unfair it is to import cars here whilst drinking Portuguese cheap booze , paying peanuts for your annual house tax and smoking yourself cheaply to death
The problem Steve is not "importing" as such, its the crazy Imposto Automovel which adds about 10k onto the price of the average family car! Not only is it killing new car sales... it is literally killing people on the roads by forcing them to drive old pieces of shit!(as the simply can't afford to drive a modern/safe car)
Old Dec 11th 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

GEd , if you import your pre-owned car duty free you don't pay it - its the main reason people import cars.
my point is that the poster is a decent honest person not trying to avoid tax just trying to do the right thing.
Ged i sometimes wonder where you live, everywhere i go in Portugal, its the same as any other country, old cars, new cars, expensive cars, cheap cars.
Open your eyes next time you go out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.