Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Scrap UK car in Portugal

Scrap UK car in Portugal

Old Mar 16th 2022, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice
Default Re: Scrap UK car in Portugal

Ad. in this weeks Portugal News paper
"We buy foreign and damaged vehicles "
Contact no is 927 716 188
Worth a call maybe ?
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:29 am
Just Joined

shades123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dingg, Any chance I can get the facebook page link or the name of his page please? Thank you
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:32 am
Just Joined

I would not ind this option at all, and have consirdered it too. I think I may have stated this earlier. Any UK person can have the car by all means.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Hi Dafty,

I cannot find this on the Portugal New site....do you have a link perhaps....?
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loco
To consider what best options you have.

Best
Loco

Hi Loco,

And what options do you recommend I have? Thanks for your reply
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dingg
There's a British guy who wants scrap cars on brits in Portugal Facebook group, he has a scrapyard/breakers.

Hth
Would liek to get in touch with this man asap. Thanks a mill. So a facebook page or link will be ideal. ta!
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GrahamF
A friend left his UK registered car in boatyard when he sailed off across the pond and after a year or two, yard had local car breaker collect it for scrap. Evidently no paperwork problem in either country, IIRC UK notified it had been permanently exported.
I don't think I could do this in good conscience. Would like to tie this up one way or another and move on with things. But thanks for the heads up on what may be possible to get away with....or from.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shades123
Hi Dingg, Any chance I can get the facebook page link or the name of his page please? Thank you
A Google search of +351 927 716 188 comes up with Algarve Auto Spares.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: Scrap UK car in Portugal

Originally Posted by ARCNET
A Google search of +351 927 716 188 comes up with Algarve Auto Spares.
HI!,

Thank you for the details, I found them and their facebook page. wish me luck!
Old Mar 18th 2022, 12:43 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Is it manual or auto ?

the simplest option would be give to someone UK based who could make use of it in Portugal for a few months then drive back to UK.

As far as I am aware it would be perfectly legal to transfer ( online via dvla website ) legal ownership to a UK national with residence in UK.

That UK national could then insure it in her / his name, pick up the vehicle, and drive to a nearby repairers ( it would help to have more specific knowledge ~street and town maybe - of location to be able to search for an appropriate garage within limping distance. )

I don't know, but I would think that with the new ownership commencing in March, the new owner would have six months legal usage in Portugal ( rather than the three remaining on your usage ). But that's just a guess.

Old Mar 18th 2022, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by riv
Is it manual or auto ?

the simplest option would be give to someone UK based who could make use of it in Portugal for a few months then drive back to UK.

As far as I am aware it would be perfectly legal to transfer ( online via dvla website ) legal ownership to a UK national with residence in UK.

That UK national could then insure it in her / his name, pick up the vehicle, and drive to a nearby repairers ( it would help to have more specific knowledge ~street and town maybe - of location to be able to search for an appropriate garage within limping distance. )

I don't know, but I would think that with the new ownership commencing in March, the new owner would have six months legal usage in Portugal ( rather than the three remaining on your usage ). But that's just a guess.
Yep, i have said before, I'd be happy to sign it over to any UK person who wants it.

So if you or anyone on the thread knows anyone who would want it, ask them to get in touch with me.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 3:04 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

private message sent.

Old Mar 18th 2022, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
That would be an incorrect guess. The 6 month limit applies to the vehicle no matter who owns it.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

Originally Posted by shades123
Hi Dafty,

I cannot find this on the Portugal New site....do you have a link perhaps....?
The ad is in the Classified section of the actual newspaper, don,t know if this section is available online.
Would expect that it,s probably a dealer/professional.
Sounds like your vehicle is suffering an overheat problem and a sensor somewhere is putting it in "Limp Mode".
Possibly something easily sorted - or not- but provided you point it out to any prospective buyer and be sure to fill out and send off the bottom section of the V5,(keep a copy) don,t forsee any problem

Last edited by Dafty; Mar 18th 2022 at 6:46 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Mar 19th 2022, 8:41 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

##That would be an incorrect guess. The 6 month limit applies to the vehicle no matter who owns it.##

I appreciate the clarity of your statement : but can I ask for a link or reference to the legal provision which I imagine underpins it ?

And what would you say would be the position if the current owner were to drive the UK vehicle to Spain; then, while the vehicle is IN Spain, its ownership were transferred to X ( resident in the UK ) via the online DVLA facility; and THEN the new owner were to drive the vehicle s/he had only just purchased back into Portugal ? Would s/he then not have six months to use the car legally in Portugal ( assuming MOT and insurance in order, of course, for the duration ) ?

Just wondering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.