Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Santander/Bilbao to UK

Santander/Bilbao to UK

Old Aug 30th 2021, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future
Default Santander/Bilbao to UK

I've booked an Antigen test to return to the UK by ferry, but as I'm going to be in Spain for 24 hours or so before boarding, shoud I follow the rather weaselly words of advice from the GOV.UK site which "recommends" a PCR test? The difference for two of us is €160. I've asked the DfT but fear their turnaround in response will not meet my timescale (3 weeks)

Has anyone done this trip recently with only Antigen?
Old Aug 30th 2021, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Santander/Bilbao to UK

Well not that recently( May),but you are fine with an antigen test. Accepted no problem and not aware of any recent changes. We also overnighted in Spain
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:18 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

You have 48 hours with an antigen test between giving the sample and boarding the ferry. Any longer and you might either be denied boarding or made to do another test at your own expense upon arrival. The airlines and ferry companies are being fined for non compliance and at check in they are making passengers check a box to indemnify them against such fines.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Score76
You have 48 hours with an antigen test between giving the sample and boarding the ferry. Any longer and you might either be denied boarding or made to do another test at your own expense upon arrival. The airlines and ferry companies are being fined for non compliance and at check in they are making passengers check a box to indemnify them against such fines.
The point is that the GOV.UK site says it 'recommends' a PCR test, not antigen. It doesn't mandate it. Timing I am aware of, but some sites offering PCR quote a 48 hour results service making it tricky!
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Well not that recently( May),but you are fine with an antigen test. Accepted no problem and not aware of any recent changes. We also overnighted in Spain
Thanks for that, but I think the guidance changed this month.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:33 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you take an antigen test the day before wherever you are overnighting in Spain?
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Could you take an antigen test the day before wherever you are overnighting in Spain?
I have an Antigen test (results within the hour €20) booked in Portugal on Tuesday for a Thursday sailing. The UK now advise a PCR test (at least 24 hours for result, minimum of €100). Would obs prefer antigen, and I'm wondering how strong a word 'advise' is.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 5:20 pm
Happiest in the sun

Perhaps enquire with Brittany Ferries customer help line for a speedier reply?

If Brittany Ferries were to provide a direct ferry from Portugal then your problem would go away, your answer would be clear and you'd cut out a long drive to Santander and the need to overnight. Might I suggest supporting this worthwhile petition?
http://chng.it/JVQDkmXRFb

Old Aug 30th 2021, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lelandy
I've booked an Antigen test to return to the UK by ferry, but as I'm going to be in Spain for 24 hours or so before boarding, shoud I follow the rather weaselly words of advice from the GOV.UK site which "recommends" a PCR test? The difference for two of us is €160. I've asked the DfT but fear their turnaround in response will not meet my timescale (3 weeks)

Has anyone done this trip recently with only Antigen?
Don't know if you have paid upfront for the one you have booked but Brittany shows links to many companies doing it in Santander if you are there in good time to take the test and board the boat.

Edit. Forget what I have wrote as it says on UK gov test within three days of boarding (not arriving in England) so you should be fine.

Last edited by chislenko; Aug 30th 2021 at 5:29 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chislenko
Don't know if you have paid upfront for the one you have booked but Brittany shows links to many companies doing it in Santander if you are there in good time to take the test and board the boat.
No, I arrive on the day of departure, so can't do a PCR test there and get results in time to be allowed to board, and I haven't paid upfront so no problems there.

I think my only option is to cancel the rapid antigen and book a PCR for the Tuesday.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

No, I arrive on the day of departure, so can't do a PCR test there and get results in time to be allowed to board, and I haven't paid upfront so no problems there.

I think my only option is to cancel the rapid antigen and book a PCR for the Tuesday.
Just edited my post above, I think you should be fine as you are.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Antigen test (results within the hour €20) booked in Portugal on Tuesday for a Thursday sailing. The UK now advise a PCR test (at least 24 hours for result, minimum of €100). Would obs prefer antigen, and I'm wondering how strong a word 'advise' is.
Can I ask who you’re using? The 1hr turnaround sounds good. And the price!
Old Sep 1st 2021, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
Can I ask who you’re using? The 1hr turnaround sounds good. And the price!
Red Cross Tavira, Tuesdays and Thursdays, book online:
https://testescovidcvp.pt/en/home-english/
Old Sep 9th 2021, 2:29 pm
Happiest in the sun

Can I ask, how did you go on with this Lelandy? I'm making the same journey next week and am too faced with conundrum as to whether to risk Antigen test or stump up extra for PCR.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Can I ask, how did you go on with this Lelandy? I'm making the same journey next week and am too faced with conundrum as to whether to risk Antigen test or stump up extra for PCR.
Ha, we're in the same boat (literally?). I've received a reply from Brittany ferries : "Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

It is a recommendation and not a requirement. Both PCR and antigen tests are accepted."

So we are keeping our antigen booking, as the ferry does not mandate a PCR test for boarding. No reply from DfT unsurprisingly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.