Road route.

Old Jun 30th 2020, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a spectacular aura aboutcoleio has a spectacular aura aboutcoleio has a spectacular aura about
Default Road route.

I realise things are changing by the minute but has/is anyone got information if a private car driving the route UK-France-Spain-Portugal (and return) is possible/acceptable where the people are UK resident?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

JDZ222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Road route.

I'm planning on doing the same journey on the 11th July so I hope the border is open.
The last time I checked the Spain Portugal border was due to open tomorrow...01 July, but that was before the latest spike in Lisbon so I guess it's a possibility that they will postpone
the opening!
I'm keeping an eye & waiting for news...
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coleio View Post
I realise things are changing by the minute but has/is anyone got information if a private car driving the route UK-France-Spain-Portugal (and return) is possible/acceptable where the people are UK resident?
The INDEPENDENT appears to have as much information as anyone else (Re.- Portuguese borders etc) ...... check it out?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

JDZ222 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sidgold View Post
The INDEPENDENT appears to have as much information as anyone else (Re.- Portuguese borders etc) ...... check it out?
Thanks. Just checked it out - a little ambiguous, mentions 01 July as I had heard so waiting for news with bated breath
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:31 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the land border with Spain opens completely tomorrow.

Not sure that completely answers the original question but it accounts for one of the borders which you will be able to freely cross.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, check the official French announcements, or the France forum, for the French part of your journey, but, whatever is announced now may change if France decides that the Health Situation in the UK (or anywhere) risks being prejudicial to the French. In any case, be prepared to wear masks and respect social distancing all the time you're in public in France , Covid-19 is still around.....
HTH
Old Jun 30th 2020, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point

We drove down two weeks ago. Told the French border control at Folkestone we were transitting to Portugal and they did not even look at our documentation. France Spain border was closed but again as soon as we said we were in transit to Portugal they waved us through.

The only real check was at the Ayamonte border into Portugal where they checked residency documentation carefully before allowing us in. That border check is being lifted tomorrow as others have said so should be no problem.

Old Jun 30th 2020, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a spectacular aura aboutcoleio has a spectacular aura aboutcoleio has a spectacular aura about

OK it seems possible, will look into booking ferry for next week with plan on sleeping in car en route with big flask of coffee and catering pack of jammie dodgers for sustenance.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyj View Post
We drove down two weeks ago. Told the French border control at Folkestone we were transitting to Portugal and they did not even look at our documentation. France Spain border was closed but again as soon as we said we were in transit to Portugal they waved us through.

The only real check was at the Ayamonte border into Portugal where they checked residency documentation carefully before allowing us in. That border check is being lifted tomorrow as others have said so should be no problem.
Hi, you had documentation to show that you were resident in Portugal - the OP is UK resident and presumably going on holiday. He wouldn't have been allowed to transit through France two weeks ago.
He should continue to watch developments in France for when he returns to the UK - many of the French are expecting a second wave due to this sudden movement of people (not just foreigners, but Parisians!), with another period of confinement....
I'm not trying to put any one off, but it's a real threat. Fore-warned is fore-armed....
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK it seems possible, will look into booking ferry for next week with plan on sleeping in car en route with big flask of coffee and catering pack of jammie dodgers for sustenance.
(I've forgotten how to do multi-quotes.)
Hotels and restaurants are open, imposing the present health regulations!!
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

santaanita is an unknown quantity at this point

jammie dodgers good choice
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

From Safe Communities Portugal today ...

"Regarding the land border with Spain, the border controls expired last night at midnight. What is “known” is that the President of the Republic will travel to travel to Badajoz (Spain) on July 1, for the “Official Ceremony of the full reopening of the Borders with Spain”. A program of the ceremony has been published. There will also be a smaller ceremony on the bridge between the Algarve and Andalusia comprising a local and Spanish officials. From speaking with Portuguese officials yesterday, our understanding is that the situation will revert to that prior to the State of Emergency in March i.e. a full opening without restrictions."

Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:24 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
Hi, you had documentation to show that you were resident in Portugal - the OP is UK resident and presumably going on holiday. He wouldn't have been allowed to transit through France two weeks ago.
He should continue to watch developments in France for when he returns to the UK - many of the French are expecting a second wave due to this sudden movement of people (not just foreigners, but Parisians!), with another period of confinement....
I'm not trying to put any one off, but it's a real threat. Fore-warned is fore-armed....
But it's correct that during the previous period of confinement, people resident in other countries and nationals of other countries were able to transit through France - and to stay in hotels along the way - in order to get home or to the country of their nationality, is it not?

So even if there were another period of confinement / closure of borders it wouldn't prevent someone returning from a holiday but it would stop many going out on one, I assume.

Last edited by Red Eric; Jul 1st 2020 at 9:29 am. Reason: Clarification
Old Jul 1st 2020, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I use a tiny campinggaz stove to make my own coffee on the roadside.
Other coffee doesn't work for me.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:30 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
But it's correct that during the previous period of confinement, people resident in other countries and nationals of other countries were able to transit through France - and to stay in hotels along the way - in order to get home or to the country of their nationality, is it not?

So even if there were another period of confinement / closure of borders it wouldn't prevent someone returning from a holiday but it would stop many going out on one, I assume.
Yes, there were a few hotel chains open between Spain and the Channel ports for Iberian residents to stop off when returning "home" from the UK or elsewhere, likewise for UK residents returning to the UK via France. But without any cafés/restaurants open, it wasn't a "comfortable" trip, and this would happen again if there were another period of confinement. I tend to warn of a worst-case scenario, so that travellers are aware and can prepare in advance, and nothing's wasted if all turns out well....
Boa viagem to you all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.