Renting - logisitcs of finding a home

Renting - logisitcs of finding a home

Old May 9th 2019, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

winniepop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting - logisitcs of finding a home

Hi all,
any guidance much appreciated.
We move to Lisbon area in August. My plan is to arrive early August and spend a week to find a home. We aren't fussy but it must accept two dogs and ideally be on the ground floor (for doggy access!), or be a house, all up to Eur900 approx.

I note that agents do not answer calls or emails, one has to do it in person, hence me arriving early Aug, before returning home by air, to then drive back with dogs a week later.

My concern is, how long does it take to process a rental agreement. It appears to be first come first served, but then how long? Can it be done in a day? Does it take weeks? I wonder if I am better going to look for a home end of May / early June - is that too far from August, and / or is early August too close to mid August?!

Does that make sense?! I really need to have it sorted for mid Aug, as when we move, that is myself, my wife, daughter and dogs; the stress if air bnb at that point would not be good - plus starting a new job soon after!

Any thoughts most appreciated on how renting works over there.

ps, looking for West of Lisbon across to Cascais.

many thanks
Old May 9th 2019, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting - logisitcs of finding a home

Originally Posted by winniepop
Hi all,
any guidance much appreciated.
We move to Lisbon area in August. My plan is to arrive early August and spend a week to find a home. We aren't fussy but it must accept two dogs and ideally be on the ground floor (for doggy access!), or be a house, all up to Eur900 approx.

I note that agents do not answer calls or emails, one has to do it in person, hence me arriving early Aug, before returning home by air, to then drive back with dogs a week later.

My concern is, how long does it take to process a rental agreement. It appears to be first come first served, but then how long? Can it be done in a day? Does it take weeks? I wonder if I am better going to look for a home end of May / early June - is that too far from August, and / or is early August too close to mid August?!

Does that make sense?! I really need to have it sorted for mid Aug, as when we move, that is myself, my wife, daughter and dogs; the stress if air bnb at that point would not be good - plus starting a new job soon after!

Any thoughts most appreciated on how renting works over there.

ps, looking for West of Lisbon across to Cascais.

many thanks
Not in Portugal myself but do know from friends that rental situation is very tough like anywhere really. Doesn't seem like there is much available under €900, at least for Cascais with dogs but I'm sure others will be able to help.

https://www.idealista.pt/en/arrendar...dem=precos-asc
Old May 9th 2019, 9:16 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

August is Also the peak of the holiday rental season do there will probably be very little available until October and then many will just be winter let's.
Old May 9th 2019, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not in Portugal myself but do know from friends that rental situation is very tough like anywhere really. Doesn't seem like there is much available under €900, at least for Cascais with dogs but I'm sure others will be able to help.
thanks... if we can stretch to 1000pm, then it looks like there are some nice ones.

I'm still unclear as to how long the process takes though. I will try calling some agencies and see what they say

Last edited by Rosemary; May 9th 2019 at 10:49 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old May 9th 2019, 12:23 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I would think better approach would be to do the investigating in person in late May / early June. Apart from being too close to your desired start date a lot of people are on hols in August. Not to mention the heat can be really exhausting .

AIM at that point ( May / June ) to get a short ( two or three month max ) rental in place commencing the week prior to your start of your new job ( what and where is that located btw ? You v much need to factor in the commute from where you will be staying. )

I would be surprised if that many owners / agents will be keen on giving house room to two dogs.

You would therefore be advised to just go for whatever you can get that even half way meets your ideal specifications but just for a two or three month rental. And you may need to be prepared to pay well over 1,000 a month to get in anywhere that accepts two x dogs.

A short term rental for starters would enable you to start the job, at least, and once you have settled into that for a month you could re commence the search. At that point you will have contacts and it may even be that dog loving work colleagues / others you meet / little notices on supermarket notice boards will provide you with a longer term solution at a more reasonable price.
Old May 9th 2019, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for taking the time to reply..

I would be working midway between Lisbon and Cascais.

Do things really slow down in August then? It would be harder to finalise a rent?
I'm concerned they wont take me seriously at the End of May, which would still be about 10 weeks from actual arrival.

The research I did suggested that it is now illegal to say no to pets, the law was changed. In practice however I'm not convinced, it looks like they will... even with the deposit and months and months or rent etc.

Here's hoping, there is no way I can go much over 1000pm.
Old May 9th 2019, 12:57 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winniepop
Many thanks for taking the time to reply..

I would be working midway between Lisbon and Cascais.

Do things really slow down in August then? It would be harder to finalise a rent?
I'm concerned they wont take me seriously at the End of May, which would still be about 10 weeks from actual arrival.

The research I did suggested that it is now illegal to say no to pets, the law was changed. In practice however I'm not convinced, it looks like they will... even with the deposit and months and months or rent etc.

Here's hoping, there is no way I can go much over 1000pm.
Of course owners can say no pets, and the vast majority do..
Old May 9th 2019, 1:10 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

They will take you perfectly seriously ( in May / June for rental start in September ) if you pay them the deposit ( some now require TWO months deposit ) plus the first month's rent.

They will usually offer you a Rental Contract in both languages - so make sure you do read it before signing ( and paying ).

I suppose your ideal would be somewhere walkable to work ? Personally, for the sake of getting started and settled in, I would , in your position, be prepared to pay Euros 1,500 per month for a short, two to three month rental. Most landlords and agents won't want such a short term, but being prepared to pay that much might just get you something ( I am really not hopeful about the dogs. You maybe need a Plan B for that aspect. )

Is the d. of school age ? Will that be a factor in location ? Do you have a school sorted ?
Old May 9th 2019, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

thanks. D is school age, we will both be in the same school come Sept ;-)

Feeling despondent about dogs... we had read lots of positive articles about Law changes etc. - partly why we were confident in accepting the job. I just cannot got to 1500 a month, even short term. Maybe we will have to be prepared to travel for a few months or something.

Pleased that you say that they will be interested in May / June for an Aug start. I have budgeted for 3 months + rent for when we move.
Old May 9th 2019, 2:12 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

If you are working in a school - I would have thought that is the v first place to start :

Surely schools always have turnover of staff at the start of the new academic year ? And some of those departing will be giving up their flats.

Have you asked the school Secretary about this ? And / or is there a Common Room where an ad could be placed ?????

ALSO - ppl leaving their flats will give you a totally truthful appraisal : eg is there noise nuisance in the mornings / evenings ? And will the owner allow dogs and so on ?
I notice that some of the flats advertised in the link about have garages and store rooms and are on ground floors. Would you be prepared to guarantee that your dogs stayed ONLY in the garage / storeroom ? You might have to.

Last edited by riv; May 9th 2019 at 2:16 pm.
Old May 9th 2019, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

yes, that was my first port of call. No luck yet, there may be, but eggs in baskets and all that.

Old May 9th 2019, 2:35 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

There's NO ONE there leaving at all ? Even something not really suitable but you could maybe take it over for one or two months ??

Presumably the school Secretary is able to send round robin emails to all parents / staff ?
Could s/he not advertise Flat ? House wanted to rent for incoming staff member with your contact details for fuller info ? Surely someone out of the whole school community will know of a place becoming vacant and the fact of you being 'Part of the JAMS Community ' [ I'm channelling the extremely funny film BAD TEACHER here, lol ] would be a recommendation to a potential landlord.

Last edited by riv; May 9th 2019 at 2:44 pm.
Old May 9th 2019, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I have asked for any info, but received none yet.
Old May 9th 2019, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
There's NO ONE there leaving at all ? Even something not really suitable but you could maybe take it over for one or two months ??

Presumably the school Secretary is able to send round robin emails to all parents / staff ?
Could s/he not advertise Flat ? House wanted to rent for incoming staff member with your contact details for fuller info ? Surely someone out of the whole school community will know of a place becoming vacant and the fact of you being 'Part of the JAMS Community ' [ I'm channelling the extremely funny film BAD TEACHER here, lol ] would be a recommendation to a potential landlord.
The way it is in Lisbon these days is that people are desperate to find affordable rental accommodation, so if they had that information, would probably give it to family first anyway.
Old May 9th 2019, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should be prepared for a longer commute. Where we have a house is an hour from Lisbon and plenty of Portuguese do that daily.
The advantages would be a much cheaper rental. The area may not be a particular area for holiday rentals so more will be available. You could poss get a small house with garden for your budget and that may sort out the dog problem. You also might get a bit more help from rental/real estate agents. Lisbon ones just wait for someone to walk in the door!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.