Rentals

Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rentals

Me again!!! I'm trying to cover every angle. I think we might be better just renting for 6 months to a year in an area where we know we can afford to buy,then taking our time to research down there. Are there any pitfalls with renting? In Spain, sometimes the tenant was liable for repainting. I've looked at a couple of rentals which statae renovatins required to be caried out by future tenant. Are there costs to be incurred beyond rent and bills? Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals

Originally Posted by bons
Me again!!! I'm trying to cover every angle. I think we might be better just renting for 6 months to a year in an area where we know we can afford to buy,then taking our time to research down there. Are there any pitfalls with renting? In Spain, sometimes the tenant was liable for repainting. I've looked at a couple of rentals which statae renovatins required to be caried out by future tenant. Are there costs to be incurred beyond rent and bills? Thanks
Although a deposit is normally used to cover maintenance work, the landlord can also put anything in a contract. If you sign, that's your problem unfortunately.
https://www.idealista.pt/en/news/pro...-landlords-and

The deposit must be used to carry out maintenance work on the property, which may have deteriorated because the tenant was living there. For example, it is lawful for the tenant to hang a painting on a wall (Article 1073 of the Civil Code), but if this results in any sort of deterioration of the property, then either the tenant should carry out the repair or the landlord will use the deposit for such purpose.

https://www.idealista.pt/en/news/pro...-house-who-has
Maintenance workAccording to Portuguese law, if the opposite is not agreed, the owner is responsible for all maintenance work (ordinary or extraordinary) required by law or for the termination of the lease.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 26th 2020 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Although a deposit is normally used to cover maintenance work, the landlord can also put anything in a contract. If you sign, that's your problem unfortunately.
https://www.idealista.pt/en/news/pro...-landlords-and

The deposit must be used to carry out maintenance work on the property, which may have deteriorated because the tenant was living there. For example, it is lawful for the tenant to hang a painting on a wall (Article 1073 of the Civil Code), but if this results in any sort of deterioration of the property, then either the tenant should carry out the repair or the landlord will use the deposit for such purpose.

https://www.idealista.pt/en/news/pro...-house-who-has
Maintenance workAccording to Portuguese law, if the opposite is not agreed, the owner is responsible for all maintenance work (ordinary or extraordinary) required by law or for the termination of the lease.
I'm slowly getting put off by Portugal. I thought buying land would be a good option, but that seems to fraught with difficulties. It seemed that it tmight be better to rent and get to know the laws and the area we want to live in better, but that seems to have a minefield at the end of the tenancy agreement. I don't know how any of you have made it work.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm slowly getting put off by Portugal. I thought buying land would be a good option, but that seems to fraught with difficulties. It seemed that it tmight be better to rent and get to know the laws and the area we want to live in better, but that seems to have a minefield at the end of the tenancy agreement. I don't know how any of you have made it work.
There are pitfalls in every country. Once you know what the pitfalls are, you can work around them.

I certainly wouldn't live anywhere else.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:30 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's horrible.

Every day brings a new nightmare.

Don't do it.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
There are pitfalls in every country. Once you know what the pitfalls are, you can work around them.

I certainly wouldn't live anywhere else.
That's why I'm trying to find out what possible pitfalls there are before I come.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:33 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be put off by people's opinions on this forum. Valid as though they may be, they are just opinions (mine included). On a short term rent for 3 to 6 months you'll not be held liable for redecoration, for a year plus, yes this makes sense. The Portuguese are generally pragmatic. Spend time here, travel about, see places, go away from the expat areas and work out whether it's for you.

We've been here 3 years now, wouldn't go back.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to do with Portugal and if you sign a rental contract in the UK, the same can happen. It is just a warning that you should never sign a contract without reading the fine print.
This is a fact and not an opinion like Score76 is saying. You can also find decent landlords, rent through agencies (Airbnb, Booking etc.).@bons you also posted about buying land and I don't see a problem if you do your homework. I don't know what it is, but people seem to move to Portugal/Spain and think everything else can be ignored.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 26th 2020 at 2:05 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:07 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be put off..... the problem is that when people assume things will be the same as elsewhere, or think they can be "clever", things often go wrong. My situation is unfortunate, but every country has it's conmen and the legal process has been very, very slow. But in general, Portugal is a great place and the system works.... just in a different way.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by macliam
Don't be put off..... the problem is that when people assume things will be the same as elsewhere, or think they can be "clever", things often go wrong. My situation is unfortunate, but every country has it's conmen and the legal process has been very, very slow. But in general, Portugal is a great place and the system works.... just in a different way.
Of course countries work in a different way, that's why it's better to find out before so you don't get nasty surprises at the end. It's god to gain knowledge from the experience of others, good and bad, if possible. I would certainly want to help others if I do move so I can give my experiences.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

It has nothing to do with Portugal and if you sign a rental contract in the UK, the same can happen. It is just a warning that you should never sign a contract without reading the fine print.
This is a fact and not an opinion like Score76 is saying. You can also find decent landlords, rent through agencies (Airbnb, Booking etc.).@bons you also posted about buying land and I don't see a problem if you do your homework. I don't know what it is, but people seem to move to Portugal/Spain and think everything else can be ignored.
It can, but less so since the introduction of the deposit protection scheme. I'm not sure what you man by 'everything else can be ignored'. I recognise that things will be done differently and I'm trying to find out in what way so I know what to look for.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It can, but less so since the introduction of the deposit protection scheme. I'm not sure what you man by 'everything else can be ignored'. I recognise that things will be done differently and I'm trying to find out in what way so I know what to look for.
What I mean is that many British seem to ignore reality when they move abroad. Would you buy a house in the UK without using a lawyer, or would you use one recommended by the estate agent?
Would you sign a contract without knowing what you are signing? If the estate agent tells you that you don't have to do an independent property survey, would you just not do it? Unfortunately this is the problem and because many believe this is the way to do it, they ignore what they would have done back home. Just like handing out money before the work is done etc. Then it can be the other way around and just because you think a license for renovation work is not needed back home, doesn't mean it's the same in Portugal and so on.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 26th 2020 at 2:32 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

What I mean is that many British seem to ignore reality when they move abroad. Would you buy a house in the UK without using a lawyer, or would you use one recommended by the estate agent?
Would you sign a contract without knowing what you are signing? If the estate agent tells you that you don't have to do an independent property survey, would you just not do it? Unfortunately this is the problem and because many believe this is the way to do it, they ignore what they would have done back home. Just like handing out money before the work is done etc. Then it can be the other way around and just because you think a license for renovation work is not needed back home, doesn't mean it's the same in Portugal and so on.
I wouldn't buy a property without using a lwyer, I already have one earamarked if we do buy, from an expat who has used the lawyer. I wouldn't sign anything unless I could read it. I am learning Portuguese, but it's tricky especailly when not immersed in the language. I would do my homeowork when I got there, I can't come yet so I thought I'd ask the kind people on here. As I posted earlier, it's just good to hear of other people's experiences, which can highlight the differences and pitfalls.
And I'm very grateful for the replies to my many questions.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wouldn't buy a property without using a lwyer, I already have one earamarked if we do buy, from an expat who has used the lawyer. I wouldn't sign anything unless I could read it. I am learning Portuguese, but it's tricky especailly when not immersed in the language. I would do my homeowork when I got there, I can't come yet so I thought I'd ask the kind people on here. As I posted earlier, it's just good to hear of other people's experiences, which can highlight the differences and pitfalls.
And I'm very grateful for the replies to my many questions.
Don't be too worried and many make it work, but equally many seem to try and find the easiest option (mainly due to language barrier). We ended up buying and building in Spain and the process was easy enough and I know several people who made it work in Portugal. It might take more time and you'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't be too worried and many make it work, but equally many seem to try and find the easiest option (mainly due to language barrier). We ended up buying and building in Spain and the process was easy enough and I know several people who made it work in Portugal. It might take more time and you'd rather be safe than sorry.
Of course, but we're racing against time, Covid-19, my husband's job here and, mostly probably, BREXIT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.