Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Rental property woes.

Rental property woes.

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Rental property woes.

I rent a fully furnished flat and recently posted a thread about my gas heater that does not heat up the shower enough to use it in winter.
Now the stove has packed up.

My contract states that I as the tenant will be responsible for all repairs to anything in the interior of the flat.
The intercom has also packed up so I cannot open the door or to speak to people wanting to enter.

Is this not fair wear and tear of appliances that the landlord should pay?
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Rental property woes.

I suspect it's not a gas powered intercom so if not then normal logic checks should reveal a cause, is the transformer receiving power ? Has the external unit been damaged ? Do other neighbors have the same problem ? These things a are pretty reliable and there is not much to go wrong.

You dont give any info on the stove ? Is it gas or electric ? If its gas then it could be the same problem as the water heater - a faulty regulator not letting enough gas through or perhaps the wrong type of gas bottle (propane not butane ?).

Water heater adjustment is important, you need to slow the water speed through the unit to achieve a higher temperature, one of the knobs on the front does that but you will need to read the instructions or ask for assistance.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, your landlord should fix it.
I'm a landlord and when those items break in my properties, I fix them.
Of course "should" and "will" have a big gap between them.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit.If it's in your contract,and you signed it.I would hazard a guess that you are liable to fix anything that goes wrong...
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

My daughter just sent me a pdf doc on the rental laws in Portugal. Any fixtures within the property such as geysers, gas heating systems, etc that fail is the responsibility of the landlord.
Any furnishings such as refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, washing machines etc that fail will be the responsibility of the landlord under the "fair wear and tear" conditions.

So my contract is flawed as it states that I am responsible for all of the above.

If you want the doc, I will send it to your email.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
My daughter just sent me a pdf doc on the rental laws in Portugal. Any fixtures within the property such as geysers, gas heating systems, etc that fail is the responsibility of the landlord.
Any furnishings such as refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, washing machines etc that fail will be the responsibility of the landlord under the "fair wear and tear" conditions.

So my contract is flawed as it states that I am responsible for all of the above.

If you want the doc, I will send it to your email.
Nice, so you have your landlord for trying to pass off his/her responsinilities.

Problem is, you're the one who has poor hot water and no working stove......

As so often, you mat be in the right legally, but is it any use to you?

Good luck.

See if you have a local Julgados de Paz, because they could help you - they're like a CAB in the UK, but likely to be staffed by legal professionals. However, your lack of Portuguese might be a hindrance.....

Last edited by macliam; Feb 3rd 2017 at 7:27 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Must admit.If it's in your contract,and you signed it.I would hazard a guess that you are liable to fix anything that goes wrong...
My understanding is that Portugal has strict laws protecting tennant's rights. That clause is probably illegal and therefore cannot be enforced.

If I was in Ukkram's position I would give the landlord a reasonable time to to fix the items. If he doesn't then I would have them fixed myself and deduct the cost from future rent payments.

Last edited by Naaling; Feb 3rd 2017 at 10:48 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

According to the law, the normal procedure to follow is to take the matter up with the landlord and then have the fault repaired then deduct it from the rent.
This is if the item was not damaged but just failed.

The oven can still be used but only as a grill so not too bad as I can manually operate it according to the temp gauge.

EDP will come sort my gas heater out next week for €14,50.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Ask politely for him to fix the the problems, if he refuses point out the laws and if that fails give him notice of your intended departure. I'm sure he knows he can rent it out again, however getting a tenant willing to reliably pay every month is another sorry and I'm sure he is aware of that, he'll soon fix everything!