Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Rental Property: Thin on the Ground?

Rental Property: Thin on the Ground?

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:18 pm
Ton
Just Joined

Ton has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental Property: Thin on the Ground?

We've finally arrived in Portugal and have began the hunt in earnest for a suitable property to rent.

Except, it hasn't been the breeze we thought it would be. Emails are seldomly responded to and when contact is made, it seems that properties are flying off the shelves in most price brackets.

We're specifically looking in the Silver Coast region and have found a very nice place but the owner would much rather sell. Hopefully she'll give us the green light in the next few days.

Is anyone else hunting, and if so, how are you finding it?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Rental Property: Thin on the Ground?

This time of the year it should be somewhat easier but from May it will be pretty much impossible.

I arrived here in July and sent off at least 20 emails and got no responses at all. Then I realized that an English email to a Portuguese will go to their spam folder so make sure you Google Translate it.

I was forced to go to a bricks and mortar estate agent (ERA) and they managed to get me a flat the same day.

They first told me that it may be difficult as foreigners can up and duck back to the UK before the contract has expired and landlords are afraid of this. Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

ukkram @ post#2

so, the recommended suggestion would be to forget the emails then have to sit & wait for a response, to just go directly to several estate agents in the area that a person wants to rent in order to get the quick rental property & be dome with it?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

In my experience most things in Portugal work best by establishing a face-to-face hand-shake contact with an individual. Then you're real.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

The lower cost and the nicer properties go pretty much within a day or so via word of mouth or local newspaper ads. Email would be a total waste of time since you are not there to visit right away and pay a deposit.

Best time of year for a long term rental is October at which point the owner will take a view on losing out on Summer rental in favour of having their services outgoings covered for the winter.

This time if year is about the worst possible as by now people are preparing and gearing up for summer rentals. The season begins around Easter and they are looking for a weekly rate.