Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Relocating to UK.

Relocating to UK.

Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Relocating to UK.

We are from South Africa and our kids have been working in the UK for over 4 years.
My wife and I have been living in PT for nearly 3 years.

I have an EU PP and my wife has a SA PP but she has a PT Residencia Card.

My wife has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and our kids in the UK want us to relocate there.

Is this possible?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to UK.

Yes, very easily. You are a text book case of how Surinder Singh is supposed to work. With a passport issued by a country in the EU, all you need is a family permit for your wife.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to read this ukram.

Wishing you all the very best for the future.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Dreadfully sorry to hear your bad news.

I'm sure you wouldn't have any serious problems entering/staying in the UK under the circumstances...... but under those same circumstances I'd be inclined to do whatever your wife most wanted to do.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the very best of luck.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 8:25 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
Very sorry to read this ukram.

Wishing you all the very best for the future.
I am sure that we all feel for you and your wife .
Make your move as soon as you can as none of us know what new rules the UK will introduce after brexit for those who do not hold UK passports.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Ukkram I am so very sorry to hear this sad news. What a difficult time lies ahead of you. I am sure with an EU passport, your family working in the UK you shouldn't have a problem relocating. In any even I wish you and your family all the best
Old Nov 27th 2016, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible news, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you and your wife get all the help and support that you need.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 10:49 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you and your wife get all the help and support that you need.
I echo liveaboard's sentiment and wish you both the best of luck.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Thanks for the kind words. She has motor neuron disease and can only shuffle about the flat.
We are off to the UK for Xmas and will discuss with our kids on the way forward.
By the way, the Surinder Singh route has been amended as from 3 days ago but I doubt it will affect us as we have been here for two and a half years.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ukkram
Same with everyone else, very sorry to hear this. Really hope everything will work out for you. All the best wishes! Qian
Old Nov 28th 2016, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard

I heart goes' out to your wife yourself & your family
Very sad news
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 12:12 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this, hope things work out as best as they can for you.

You mentioned you have an EU passport (but didn't say British). If it's another EU nation, then the surinder singh rules don't really affect you, as you'd be exercising treaty rights by moving to the UK so they'd automatically have to accept you.

If you're on a British passport, then SS rules would apply. However, the recent tightening (which is probably in violation of EU rules anyway and likely to get the UK in trouble again in due course) is largely aimed at stopping people doing relatively short periods in other EU countries in order to benefit from SS rules and bring a spouse into the UK. Clearly your residence in Portugal has been longer, and was quite obviously genuine and not designed to circumvent British spousal immigration rules, so the rule tightening should not affect your case regardless.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 1:55 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Sorry to hear this, hope things work out as best as they can for you.

You mentioned you have an EU passport (but didn't say British). If it's another EU nation, then the surinder singh rules don't really affect you, as you'd be exercising treaty rights by moving to the UK so they'd automatically have to accept you.

If you're on a British passport, then SS rules would apply. However, the recent tightening (which is probably in violation of EU rules anyway and likely to get the UK in trouble again in due course) is largely aimed at stopping people doing relatively short periods in other EU countries in order to benefit from SS rules and bring a spouse into the UK. Clearly your residence in Portugal has been longer, and was quite obviously genuine and not designed to circumvent British spousal immigration rules, so the rule tightening should not affect your case regardless.
Start the move as soon as you can, once the UK triggers article 50 any EU rules will be ignored or circumvented.
There are even suggestions that the end of free movement from the EU be backdated and that arrivals after a certain date lose their right of UK residence.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have a Finnish PP and my wife has a South African one. Her great grandparents were Scottish so it will not count.

She has no family left in SA or any ties to it. A recent news item about a SA mother living with her kids in the UK that had no family or any ties to SA was to be deported back to SA after 2 years.

She was sickly and could not fend for herself. Her only saving grace was a petition to home office.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to hear about your wife.

To move to the UK it is recommended that you obtain an EU Family permit for your wife in order to not have hassles/problems at the border.

In your earlier notes you said that you were retiring to Portugal. Therefore are you intending to enter the UK as self sufficient (ie living on pensions etc)?

If so then you will need to obtain full health insurance for both of you (see below)

EEA family members
You must show that your EEA family member has a permanent right of residence or is one of the following if they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months:

- working, eg employment contract, wage slips, letter from employer
- self-employed, eg contracts, invoices, or audited accounts with bank statements, and paying tax and National Insurance
- studying, eg letter from the school, college or university
- financially independent, eg bank statements
Your family member must have full health insurance (comprehensive sickness insurance) if they’re studying or financially independent.

With your wife's condition not having access to the NHS might have a considerable impact on you.

(It looks like you are already paying for private medical insurance in Portugal)

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 2nd 2016 at 7:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.