Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Relocating in January

Relocating in January

Old Jan 4th 2015, 12:33 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating in January

Would be pleased to meet with you too FuzetaJan....we are completely new to Portugal.
Happy to buy a pint or a cuppa for a conversation with anyone living in Eastern Algarve or even thinking about it. Jan, please see PM for our contact details.
Marlow
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Ulf.p is an unknown quantity at this point

A little bit off the subject - sorry. But is it Fuzeta or Fuseta? We had some friends here who wanted to take a look and typed in Fuzeta in the navigator. It took them up the mountains where there actually is a little village called Fuzeta.
I had a look on Wikipedia, and both the flag and the coat of arms (for the coastal one) has the name spelled Fuseta.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:54 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Dear REEFCAT, boy can I relate......., just now unpacking the container that arrived from Southern Hemisphere into the farmhouse here but must sort what will go onward to Portugal and what do we need right now in caravan versus r MIGHT need over next few months in PT; to pack trout rods or to not pack trout rods this is the question...., never thought we'd return to EU but so the world turns, eh? Love is a powerful motivator and so go the best laid plans of mice 'n men. BTW what is with packers that label the box "kitchenware" but when I open I find all my towels packed around the items? Towels that I'd been searching for box after box.... sigh! But thank God it's ONLY missing towels not waking up in Gaza Strip. Well anyway think it's G'nT time somewhere in the world and Good Luck sorting... "till then Marlow
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Ulf, the old way or the new way.

It's now Fuseta - I think.

A lovely, friendly fishing village, with more locals than tourists and that dreaded word, ex-pat, apart from the summer, when we get the French/Portuguese on their hols.

A lovely beach - well, two really, both blue flags last year.

And a host of other things - please feel free to pm me or ask here for any info.

Been here for just over 9 years, but now wanting to move, for another adventure. So there is a lovely house for sale
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Reefcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Removals lorry arriving at 09:00 tomorrow morning, car nearly packed..

Hope to get on Eurotunnel sometime in the evening and on our way. A couple of days to settle and then on to some serious house hunting.

Looking forward to the adventure
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:36 pm
Smokn Joy

FuzetaJan (Fuseta) can you send us pics and all information on your home for sale? Thanks bunches!!!!

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 4th 2015 at 8:15 pm. Reason: It is not wise to put up personal details on an open forum . Spambots will come to bite you.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:59 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about trout rods.I have mine and will be looking to fly fish for black bass. There used to be carp/bass day ticket water near Portimao but that closed down last year. The only opportunities for trout are in the northern mountains.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:10 pm
Smokn Joy

Oh dear northern mountains? Maybe after we find a house we'll go looking for trout! I used to catch wide-mouth Bass in Oregon with lures...It's on my bucket list to learn to fly fish....maybe we can work a trade? I'm a super Mexican cook.......just a random thought as I hijack this thread with talk of fishing just can't help myself.....badme!
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably find short rods and light, floating lines to be most useful.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Glad this subject came up. I am dying to chuck some plastics into the sea but heard that the season closed on 23 Dec. Is this correct?
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Glad this subject came up. I am dying to chuck some plastics into the sea but heard that the season closed on 23 Dec. Is this correct?
I was under the impression that one can sea fish all year round but you might like to check with a local tackle shop and also, this freshwater info might be of interest:

Beware of the Freshwater fishing seasons

Generally the freshwater fishing season runs between April and November.
Fishing is not allowed between sunset and sunrise.

Trout 1 March to 31 July

Alge River in the north, sandy streams in the north, Minho and Lima River. Lakes and streams in Serra da Estrella mountains such as Lagoa Comprida

Largemouth Bass 1 July to 14 March

Agueda River region, Pateira de Fermentelos, Meranhão Reservoir, Mora e Coruche regions, Bonavente and Salvaterra de Magios, Valle de Gaio Reservoir, River Sado, Elvas region, Beja, Algarve dams

Barbel 1 July to 14 March

All rivers and streams

Carp 1 July to 14 March

Rivers and streams in the central and south

Shad 1 February to 14 July

Rivers in Portugal during the spring. At other times for year only at sea

Salmon 1 March to 31 July

In the Lima and Minho rivers
Remember n places where salmon breed no fishing of any kind is allowed except during the salmon season.

Sturgeon 16 January to 14 July

All rivers

Langoustine/crayfish are listed as a min size of 8 cm, they cannot be sold outside of the county their caught in, white footed crayfish no mention trapping fishing allowed from 1 June to 31 August only, the invasive vermelhoda-Louisiana, American crayfish all year round by any method traps specifically mentioned, but whether you need extra permissions to lay traps? why not contact the water bailiffs their the ones that enforce regulations
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:45 am
Just Joined

jb46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thread,but not into fishing.

Living in far east ,will have Thai wife for the move to Portugal. looking at areas to the south Algarve ,eastern region. One poster has mentioned a lady helping his search,will be contacting.

can speak Spanish,but do not want to live there. Got good pension,no need for me to work,anyway 68 now do not want to,but Thai wife 50 years old,will have to find work, sends it to her family any information welcome. Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:40 am
Smokn Joy

jb46, Welcome, we are newbies too, BUT just a wee heads up, there are NO jobs in Portugal. Unemployment is very, VERY high and we foreigners should try to be self-sufficient or job 'creators' rather then taking potential work from the local folks, just my personal opinion. Good luck in finding a home, we too are looking there are many good deals at this time in Portugal, the further from the sea the less expensive in many cases.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:34 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Why the Algarve ??

For the past week and for most of December almost no cloud, daytime temps up to 20 degrees. Yesterday lunch outside , shirtsleeves weather.
Forcast no change expected for at least,another week.
Typing this sat in our lounge, no heating on, sun pouring through the windows.
Yes it is cold at night ( it is January ) but we estimate that our heating costs wood and some electric is under 20 euros week.
We have a solar panel to heat the water and only need the immersion on to top up in the mornings.
What is is like " upt Norf "
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:40 am
Just Joined

jb46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
jb46, Welcome, we are newbies too, BUT just a wee heads up, there are NO jobs in Portugal. Unemployment is very, VERY high and we foreigners should try to be self-sufficient or job 'creators' rather then taking potential work from the local folks, just my personal opinion. Good luck in finding a home, we too are looking there are many good deals at this time in Portugal, the further from the sea the less expensive in many cases.

Hi, thanks for reply. Yes I know no jobs,problem for anybody working age. looked at the ITV programme a while ago ,and yes some good deals abound in property. I want to move inland too,few miles from the coast.
Might open a Thai(ish) restaurant if possible,shes a good cook ,makes about £5 for a 12 hour day,might have to step up whatever I give her monthly,but I sure do not want her family on my back.Seems a bit harsh to leave her behind,but I want to get back nearer my roots and medical care here is expensive

Also sick of the heat ,90 over Christmas,100 usually a few weeks later

Last edited by jb46; Jan 9th 2015 at 8:44 am. Reason: Addition info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.