Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Re Opening Portugal to Tourists ~ Date by Which ?

Re Opening Portugal to Tourists ~ Date by Which ?

Old May 4th 2020, 9:50 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re Opening Portugal to Tourists ~ Date by Which ?

I wonder if someone could post the latest hard Govt. info re relaxation of Covid rules in Portugal ?

I see pictures of people this morning at Cais do Sodré station all wearing masks.

Does that mean that people can now go about their business provided they wear face masks ? Or what restrictions are still in place ?

Is it known yet by what date the country will be re opened to foreign visitors ? And ( crucially, I would have thought ) restaurants will be open ? And if that date is not yet known, is there a date by which this is predicted to be announced / known ?

I note that JET2.COM re commence flights from NCL to FAO on the 17th June ~does that mean they know or are otherwise confident that visitors from abroad will be permitted to enter the country ?
Old May 4th 2020, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice
Default Re: Re Opening Portugal to Tourists ~ Date by Which ?

We enter our State of Calamity today and can move around to a certain extent ...

https://www.safecommunitiesportugal....rime-minister/

Old May 4th 2020, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
I wonder if someone could post the latest hard Govt. info re relaxation of Covid rules in Portugal ?

I see pictures of people this morning at Cais do Sodré station all wearing masks.

Does that mean that people can now go about their business provided they wear face masks ? Or what restrictions are still in place ?

Is it known yet by what date the country will be re opened to foreign visitors ? And ( crucially, I would have thought ) restaurants will be open ? And if that date is not yet known, is there a date by which this is predicted to be announced / known ?

I note that JET2.COM re commence flights from NCL to FAO on the 17th June ~does that mean they know or are otherwise confident that visitors from abroad will be permitted to enter the country ?

As the previous poster has indicated via the link there are extensive restrictions still in place . It is NOT the case that people can go about their "normal" business from today although small businesses and some services are now available and customers will need to wear face masks. larger shopping centres probably not open until the beginning of JUne. As an example - a hairdresser near us , by appointment only , only one client at a time, hairdressers to wear protective masks , clients once seated protected with a disposible sheet, hairdresser only allowed to use disposable towels, establishment to be disinfected frequently . Restaurants, bars etc probably only June depending success of three phase relaxation. Once opened - social distancing , therefore reduced capacity probably 30% usable, bookings only , temperature testing of diners as they arrive, menu only available on laptop/pad, waiters/waitresses full protection . Frequent disinfection. Restricted access to beaches .
Obviously Portugal desperate to get tourism back up and running as a major contributor to the economy but the government is being sensibly cautious.
Old May 9th 2020, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
As the previous poster has indicated via the link there are extensive restrictions still in place . It is NOT the case that people can go about their "normal" business from today although small businesses and some services are now available and customers will need to wear face masks. larger shopping centres probably not open until the beginning of JUne. As an example - a hairdresser near us , by appointment only , only one client at a time, hairdressers to wear protective masks , clients once seated protected with a disposible sheet, hairdresser only allowed to use disposable towels, establishment to be disinfected frequently . Restaurants, bars etc probably only June depending success of three phase relaxation. Once opened - social distancing , therefore reduced capacity probably 30% usable, bookings only , temperature testing of diners as they arrive, menu only available on laptop/pad, waiters/waitresses full protection . Frequent disinfection. Restricted access to beaches .
Obviously Portugal desperate to get tourism back up and running as a major contributor to the economy but the government is being sensibly cautious.
Any news on if/when the 14 day self quarantine restriction will be lifted (or adjusted?)
Old May 9th 2020, 11:20 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone worked out just HOW restaurants and bars are going to survive with only 30% ish of capacity permitted ?

And will waiters be wearing full on protective gowns / masks and gloves ?

It just makes me wonder what the experience of dining out is going to be like ? Will it be attractive enough for people to actually want to do it ? Even if there are restaurants surviving enough to make it an option ?
Old May 9th 2020, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Has anyone worked out just HOW restaurants and bars are going to survive with only 30% ish of capacity permitted ?

And will waiters be wearing full on protective gowns / masks and gloves ?

It just makes me wonder what the experience of dining out is going to be like ? Will it be attractive enough for people to actually want to do it ? Even if there are restaurants surviving enough to make it an option ?
You have a very good point . Hardly will be the experience of the past. Yes it seems that staff will be "suited up" operating with touch pad menus and disinfecting in their moments off. All this for 30% reserved bookings only, hardly viable for the many small restaurants at our end of the Algarve. Having said that many have been providing take-away/home delivery the past couple of months so they are determined to survive. I do hope they do. Our local café opened this week - coffees through a window, hand-sanitiser on the table where he left your coffee, he was wearing a mask and gloves. A few regulars scattered around at a suitable distance while they drank their coffee and then left - presume this is the new norm for the near future.
Old May 9th 2020, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Several airlines now indicating they may start flights first week of July ex-UK to Faro - Ryanair, Wizz and Easyjet
Old May 11th 2020, 9:57 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Well flights are supposed to be already in operation from England to Portugal...........

I would be v interested to learn from someone who has been on one just what the practicalities are of queueing at the airport for security, on the 'plane, on arrival queueing for passport control ? queueing for taxis / buses outside the terminal ??

I cannot conceive of how 'social distancing' can possibly be operated in the airport / 'plane contexts.

I imagine everyone wears a facemask, which I would want to do, but still it seems to me that within the cigar tube which is a plane, if only one or two out of three hundred passengers is breathing out particles of virus.............. then surely those particles are going to be faithfully circulated all around the cabin..........

No filter will filter them out.

Anyone with specific, recent, knowledge have any idea how this is all going to work when flights re start in considerable numbers next month ?

Old May 11th 2020, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine everyone wears a facemask, which I would want to do, but still it seems to me that within the cigar tube which is a plane, if only one or two out of three hundred passengers is breathing out particles of virus.............. then surely those particles are going to be faithfully circulated all around the cabin..........

A simple explanation - There's two basic face masks - one to stop spit/snot (bodily fluids) being emitted which may contain a virus as, generally, the virus is in the host's bodily fluids not floating about in the air without a host. The mask stops the liquid droplets hence stops the virus and the material is breathable so air passes but not liquid and it is not sealed to the face. The other mask is to filter the air so is sealed against the face and most of the mask is non breathable with just the filter letting air pass.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

HB89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by riv
Well flights are supposed to be already in operation from England to Portugal...........

I would be v interested to learn from someone who has been on one just what the practicalities are of queueing at the airport for security, on the 'plane, on arrival queueing for passport control ? queueing for taxis / buses outside the terminal ??

I cannot conceive of how 'social distancing' can possibly be operated in the airport / 'plane contexts.

No filter will filter them out.

Anyone with specific, recent, knowledge have any idea how this is all going to work when flights re start in considerable numbers next month ?

I will need to fly out in the summer (new job) - please let me know how you get on with flights and the process if you do fly soon.
Old May 12th 2020, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Several airlines now indicating they may start flights first week of July ex-UK to Faro - Ryanair, Wizz and Easyjet
Thanks LA. This morning O'Leary stated on the TV that flights will resume from 1 July to Spain and Portugal. Do we have any similar actual statement from Easyjet in particular?
Old May 12th 2020, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Article from the Daily Express.

Portugal may not welcome tourists back until 2021

Portugal has been in lockdown since March 13 and has recorded no deaths related to the coronavirus pandemic, and as a result, is gradually working to get its tourism industry back up and running.

However, in a bid to maintain its national health, it is thought that Portugal will not welcome back holidaymakers until April 2021.

The FCO states: “On 30 April, the Portuguese government announced the transition to a state of public calamity and the implementation of a three-stage de-escalation plan to gradually ease current confinement and mobility measures. Starting on 4 May, each stage of the plan will last 2 weeks.”

Restaurants, cafes and bars will reopen on May 18, but at limited capacity.

Sadly for tourists, these will be reserved for locals only for some time.

On a positive note, the tourism sector promises a clean and safe return for tourists as soon as it is right.

Travel officials in Portugal are hoping to reignite tourism in the Algarve with the implementation of new “clean and safe” stamps following the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

The Algarve Tourism Board, in partnership with Portugal Tourism Board (Turismo de Portugal), has introduced the badges as a way of ensuring the safety of workers and visitors.

President of the Algarve Tourism Board, João Fernandes, said: “In coordination with the Tourism authorities of Portugal, we are making a great effort to implement action protocols that guarantee safety in the destination and allow recovery of the tourist sector.

“We are committed to developing all the necessary measures, with the ultimate goal of reinforcing security and confidence in the destination.”

However, in a phone interview with Bloomberg, Eliderico Viegas, head of the Association of Algarve Hotels and Tourism Enterprises, said that foreign visitors may not return until April 2021.

"This year, hotels in the Algarve will have to rely on locals for bookings, which is insufficient to keep many of these units open,” he said.

"Many hotels won't open this year."
Old May 13th 2020, 6:21 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
Hi

Portugal has been in lockdown since March 13 and has recorded no deaths related to the coronavirus pandemic...
Old May 13th 2020, 1:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
Hi

Portugal has been in lockdown since March 13 and has recorded no deaths related to the coronavirus pandemic, and as a result, is gradually working to get its tourism industry back up and running.

However, in a bid to maintain its national health, it is thought that Portugal will not welcome back holidaymakers until April 2021.

The FCO states: “On 30 April, the Portuguese government announced the transition to a state of public calamity and the implementation of a three-stage de-escalation plan to gradually ease current confinement and mobility measures. Starting on 4 May, each stage of the plan will last 2 weeks.”

Restaurants, cafes and bars will reopen on May 18, but at limited capacity.

Sadly for tourists, these will be reserved for locals only for some time.

On a positive note, the tourism sector promises a clean and safe return for tourists as soon as it is right.

Travel officials in Portugal are hoping to reignite tourism in the Algarve with the implementation of new “clean and safe” stamps following the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

The Algarve Tourism Board, in partnership with Portugal Tourism Board (Turismo de Portugal), has introduced the badges as a way of ensuring the safety of workers and visitors.

President of the Algarve Tourism Board, João Fernandes, said: “In coordination with the Tourism authorities of Portugal, we are making a great effort to implement action protocols that guarantee safety in the destination and allow recovery of the tourist sector.

“We are committed to developing all the necessary measures, with the ultimate goal of reinforcing security and confidence in the destination.”

However, in a phone interview with Bloomberg, Eliderico Viegas, head of the Association of Algarve Hotels and Tourism Enterprises, said that foreign visitors may not return until April 2021.

"This year, hotels in the Algarve will have to rely on locals for bookings, which is insufficient to keep many of these units open,” he said.

"Many hotels won't open this year."
When will people stop reading comics to get their news?
A serious newspaper would actually check its facts before publication - it's not difficult - https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ntry/portugal/

The 1,175 people who have died of COVID-19 in Portugal deserve that, at least.

Even the Algarve, which appears to be the only part of Portugal the Express recognises, has had 13 deaths as of May 7. https://econews.pt/2020/05/07/number...-toll-at-1105/
"The North continues to be the most affected region, with 15,450 confirmed cases and 634 deaths, ahead of the Lisbon region, which registers 6,935 cases and 230 deaths. Behind it are the Centro (3,545 cases and 213 deaths), the Algarve (343 cases and 13 deaths), and the Alentejo (220 cases and one death)."

Last edited by macliam; May 13th 2020 at 1:30 pm.
Old May 13th 2020, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I agree completely with what @macliam says and my post which was deleted refers to the highlighted section in red so to me was relevant and necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.