Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Pushbike insurance?

Pushbike insurance?

Old Oct 13th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

tellyholic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pushbike insurance?

I have just seen a post on a Facebook page where someone claims to have been asked, by the police for insurance details for er bicycle!!

I know it is required (or recommended at least) for those electric things, but a pushbike? I find it hard to believe every bike you see in Portugal is insured.

Anyone know?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice
Default Re: Pushbike insurance?

I have one of the electric moped style bikes (similar to those you see in Continente) and it states in the manual that insurance isn't even required for those.

I do, however, have a policy that covers 3rd party and personal accident. It costs about €60 per year, and is worth it for peace of mind.

But compulsory insurance for pushbikes? I think it extremely unlikely that that has become law without any of the major newspapers (English and Portuguese) reporting on it.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newintavira
I have one of the electric moped style bikes (similar to those you see in Continente) and it states in the manual that insurance isn't even required for those.

I do, however, have a policy that covers 3rd party and personal accident. It costs about €60 per year, and is worth it for peace of mind.

But compulsory insurance for pushbikes? I think it extremely unlikely that that has become law without any of the major newspapers (English and Portuguese) reporting on it.
Strewth. I only pay €39 per year to insure my 2054 kg, 5.9 litre V8 classic car for basically the same thing.

Getting back to bikes: A Portuguese friend of mine tells me that in the old days of Salazar, people were required to have a licence to own a pushbike & perhaps it's an old, leftover requirement from those days........ but I can't see many Portuguese obeying that one any more than I can see them obeying the laws that say all dogs must be chipped & inoculated against rabies.

Last edited by mfesharne; Oct 14th 2013 at 1:37 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

There was a "Anitique Bike Rally" that went thru the area I live in a few weeks back & some off the very old bikes had number plates on the back off the saddle
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

No, you are not obliged to have insurance and very few people have it!