Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Proving UK *Residency* when Registering for Residency in Portugal?

Proving UK *Residency* when Registering for Residency in Portugal?

Old Feb 1st 2020, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving UK *Residency* when Registering for Residency in Portugal?

A NIF can to issued to any address in the world but if to a non EUMS passport holder they need a fiscal representative but (IIRC) the Residencia comes after the NIF but all that said, I've helped numerous people get their paperwork sorted & have encountered endless acute variable bureaucrcy syndrome & have been asked for all available permutations of whether NIF, Attestado & Residencia comes in what order.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cortiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mfesharne
A NIF can to issued to any address in the world but if to a non EUMS passport holder they need a fiscal representative but (IIRC) the Residencia comes after the NIF but all that said, I've helped numerous people get their paperwork sorted & have encountered endless acute variable bureaucrcy syndrome & have been asked for all available permutations of whether NIF, Attestado & Residencia comes in what order.
So this explains the confusion surrounding the original "rumor." In order to get residency you DO need to prove UK (or Portuguese) residence by virtue of having to prove it in order to first get the NIF. Meaning the "rumor"was effectively correct in practical terms, even if was technically wrong in pedantic terms.

Leaving me with 2 options: fiscal representative to get NIF on upcoming trip, then change the address on it once I've actually moved to Portugal and have an address, then get residency. OR do both once I've actually moved there. Correct?

Old Feb 1st 2020, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cortiz
So this explains the confusion surrounding the original "rumor." In order to get residency you DO need to prove UK (or Portuguese) residence by virtue of having to prove it in order to first get the NIF. Meaning the "rumor"was effectively correct in practical terms, even if was technically wrong in pedantic terms.

Leaving me with 2 options: fiscal representative to get NIF on upcoming trip, then change the address on it once I've actually moved to Portugal and have an address, then get residency. OR do both once I've actually moved there. Correct?
To get an NIF you are expected to identify yourself (typical international requirement these days to prevent money laundering etc) and show where you live. For non- Portuguese this is your passport (or equivalent ID) and an official document or two to 'prove' your address. If this address is in the EU and they have no reason to be suspicious they'll accept it. It wouldn't surprise me if the origins of the rumours are people who may have appeared to be trying to bend the rules and who were then subjected to greater scrutiny or a greater burden of proof.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cortiz

No. More accurately, anyone can get a NIF number no matter where they live but they do need to provide proof of address such as utility bill in their name & they may or may not need someone to sign as their fiscal representative.

More generally, you are legally obliged to keep all documentation up to date so if you move then you need to change the address on all paperwork to the new address.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point of note. If one changes address at the Tax office in Portugal to a UK address, does this automatically change the address held against the NIF number
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 10:00 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Just a point of note. If one changes address at the Tax office in Portugal to a UK address, does this automatically change the address held against the NIF number
It's one and the same thing.

And for anybody without a Cartão do Cidadão and a card reader (which is all of us who haven't got PT citizenship I think, unless there's a new resident card which does the job ), going to a Finanças office in person is the only way to alter one's fiscal address.

For anyone who wants to check which address they're registered at, it's accessible on the personal data section of the Finanças website once you're signed in.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Proving UK *Residency* when Registering for Residency in Portugal?

[QUOTE=mfesharne;12800212]No. More accurately, anyone can get a NIF number no matter where they live but they do need to provide proof of address such as utility bill in their name & they may or may not need someone to sign as their fiscal representative.
QUOTE]
So you are saying that ANY NON-EU person from ANYWHERE in the World can pop into the Portuguese Tax offices & get a NIF# if he or she shows them their address with no more than a utility bill???
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Euroguy
So you are saying that ANY NON-EU person from ANYWHERE in the World can pop into the Portuguese Tax offices & get a NIF# if he or she shows them their address with no more than a utility bill???
What ID did you provide and for an address in which country?

Last edited by RichardHenshall; Feb 2nd 2020 at 12:36 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Euroguy;12800303]
No. More accurately, anyone can get a NIF number no matter where they live but they do need to provide proof of address such as utility bill in their name & they may or may not need someone to sign as their fiscal representative.
QUOTE]
No. That's not what I said either.

If a holder of a non EUMS passport then they need a PT resident to sign as their fiscal representative.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: Proving UK *Residency* when Registering for Residency in Portugal?

[QUOTE=mfesharne;12800340]

No. That's not what I said either.

If a holder of a non EUMS passport then they need a PT resident to sign as their fiscal representative.
Actually it is what you said, & considering this thread was started by a UK passport holder living in the USA with NO proof of UK address, then it should remain relevant to the OP's requests for help!!

"No. More accurately, anyone can get a NIF number no matter where they live but they do need to provide proof of address such as utility bill in their name"
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Euroguy;12800343]
Actually it is what you said, & considering this thread was started by a UK passport holder living in the USA with NO proof of UK address, then it should remain relevant to the OP's requests for help!!

"No. More accurately, anyone can get a NIF number no matter where they live but they do need to provide proof of address such as utility bill in their name"
It is what I said but you just didn't read the last part of the sentence which (incidentally) was:

"& they may or may not need someone to sign as their fiscal representative"
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Euroguy;12800343]

The entire comment read:

"No. More accurately, anyone can get a NIF number no matter where they live but they do need to provide proof of address such as utility bill in their name & they may or may not need someone to sign as their fiscal representative.

More generally, you are legally obliged to keep all documentation up to date so if you move then you need to change the address on all paperwork to the new address."
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=mfesharne;12800357]

It is what I said but you just didn't read the last part of the sentence which (incidentally) was:

"& they may or may not need someone to sign as their fiscal representative"
I'm afraid you're nitpicking here because your reply is NOT helping the OP, & it's been previously advised he gets a fiscal rep!
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

My original question didn't quote correctly, so I'm asking again:

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Proving UK *Residency* when Registering for Residency in Portugal?

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
My original question didn't quote correctly, so I'm asking again:

As l have told you before, l am communicating with the OP via PM so as not to add to the apparent confusion which has been added unnecessarily to his thread, & you sir have no need to know my personal circumstances!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.