Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Property discounts

Property discounts

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

tigerfriday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property discounts

We are looking to buy a property and registered with a few agents. We are now inundated with phone calls and special offers by email about all kinds of property. It gives the impression that it's very much a buyers market.

Yesterday we received an email from an agent on the Algarve offering a penthouse flat at 48% discount and a townhouse with a Euro 100,000 discount.

Most property on websites gives a price, and then says price negotiable.

We are seriously interested in a few places now and the agents have asked us to make offers, suggesting asking price minus 15%.

Should we wait for further price falls?

Last edited by tigerfriday; Apr 2nd 2010 at 12:42 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of
Default Re: Property discounts

Originally Posted by tigerfriday
We are looking to buy a property and registered with a few agents. We are now inundated with phone calls and special offers by email about all kinds of property. It gives the impression that it's very much a buyers market.

Yesterday we received an email from an agent on the Algarve offering a penthouse flat at 48% discount and a townhouse with a Euro 100,000 discount.

Most property on websites gives a price, and then says price negotiable.

We are seriously interested in a few places now and the agents have asked us to make offers, suggesting asking price minus 15%.

Should we wait for further price falls?
Is this just for holiday use or for retirement?
Joao
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:11 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

They were probably horrifically overpriced to start with.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cleri
They were probably horrifically overpriced to start with.
Yur right, take off 60% from the asking price then you are getting somewhere near the right price!
Joao
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

tigerfriday is an unknown quantity at this point

That was my feeling. They were hideously overpriced in the first place in the hope that some fool would buy them and when they didn't sell the builder reduced them to realistic prices.

Initially we will use it as a holiday home but then as a more permanent home. Our plan is to spend about 6 months of the year in Portugal and 6 months in Cape Town.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:42 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tigerfriday
That was my feeling. They were hideously overpriced in the first place in the hope that some fool would buy them and when they didn't sell the builder reduced them to realistic prices.

Initially we will use it as a holiday home but then as a more permanent home. Our plan is to spend about 6 months of the year in Portugal and 6 months in Cape Town.
When I moved from the Algarve up here (Lisbon),my current house was on this website,with about 4 different agents.It was priced differently on each ....up to 28k difference

http://casa.sapo.pt/

In answer to your question,I would think now is as good a time as any to buy.
Property only seems to be selling if it is a reasonable price.The Euro rate has certainly affected buyers from Uk..not so from Ireland.
At least that's my experience 'up here'